Author's Chapter Notes:
There are trials ahead for all of them, meanwhile, Buffy has to deal with a traumatised Spike
Giles stared at the blonde vampire with avid interest. Spike was looking sightlessly at the far wall, his face blank. He was still crouched near the small heap of dust which was all that was left of Drusilla, but he was now immobile, his hands lying lax in his lap. The Watcher noticed that the vampire had clumps of hair tangled in his fingers, which he had pulled out during his initial reaction to Dru’s demise. How had he been able to deviate from his instructions, whilst under the power of the spell? Was his reaction afterwards part of the Sire/Childe bond? Or perhaps it was the separation from his mate. If so, his killing of Drusilla was even more difficult to understand – this needed research. Perhaps after he had interrogated Spike, he could write a paper on it - the Council would be extremely interested in finding out more about these creatures. “Buffy, I don’t think we should leave him here.” He said casually, “If you like, I can put him up at my place and perhaps find out ….”

“Take him home! No, no, I vote with the leaving him here.” Xander interrupted. “He’ll be okay – he’s a vampire with all that self-healy thing.”

“Xander! We can’t just leave him here, look at him, he’s all hurt and upset.”

“Willow, you’re too soft-hearted. Remember what he was like the last time he was a house-guest.” Xander shuddered theatrically. “I don’t want to go through that again.”

Buffy heard them arguing in the background, but all her attention was on Spike. She couldn’t take her eyes off him. The way he acted after he had dusted Drusilla, she found she wanted – no, needed - to help the vampire. He had, after all, sacrificed everything for her. She’d been down that road herself, having to kill her lover to save the world. Spike had killed his love to save her – but why? He had no soul, it was beyond her understanding.

Making a snap decision, she said in an uncompromising voice. “He’s coming home with me.” And when they all chimed in with objections she glared at them, accepting no arguments. “First though, I have some unfinished business.”

She motioned to Xander to throw her his stake, marched over to the unconscious Savos, still lying where she had thrown him, and plunged it into his heart. “There, how’s that for interference!”

Moving over to where Spike knelt, she gently lifted him to his feet, but then had to catch him as he stumbled and almost fell.
_______________________________________

They managed to half drag, half lift Spike to the upper level of the crypt and Buffy sent Xander to bring his car as near to the entrance as possible.

Trying not to jostle him too much, the Scoobies loaded Spike into Xander’s car and Buffy made sure he drove slowly and carefully to Revello Drive.

“You sure it’ll be acceptable to your mother and Dawn to take him into your home?” Giles asked anxiously. “I could still take him to my apartment – I promise I won’t chain him up in the bath this time.”

“We’ll be okay Giles, but I’d appreciate some help in patching him up.”

“Buffy! Oh, my baby. You’re all right.” Joyce opened the door and hugged her daughter tightly. “I was so worried when you didn’t get home last night.”

“Yeah, mom, I’m okay – but Spike’s not. He got injured helping to protect me.” As she hoped, her mother’s maternal instincts were deflected to the blonde vampire. Joyce took charge, commanding the two men take Spike up to the bathroom and clean him up, while she searched out some bandages.

Giles shivered when he saw the extent of the vampire’s injuries. There didn’t seem to be a square inch of his body that wasn’t burned, bruised or cut. Some of the wounds were disturbingly deep – he certainly wouldn’t have survived had he been human. Even Xander was silenced; as he helped the Watcher peel off what was left of Spike’s clothes. They decided to clean his wounds in the bathtub; his flesh was slick with blood. The water immediately became pink when they lowered his body into it.

“What’s wrong with him? Is he still under the spell? I’ve never seen him so quiet.” Xander said uneasily. “He’s giving me the wiggins.”

Giles shrugged. “I don’t know – the spell should have been broken once he, um, did what he did.” The watcher avoided saying Drusilla’s name; he was uncertain what effect it would have on Spike. “I’m sure he’ll perk up when we get some blood into him.”

Xander winced when he saw two of Spike’s fingers were bent at an unnatural angle. “No wonder he gave her a one way ticket to stakesville” he said, trying to fight off an overwhelming feeling of sympathy, which he knew the vampire would hate if he were in his right mind.


_________________________________________________

Later, his chest and hand bandaged, Spike was supported back downstairs. It had been decided that it would be best if he stayed in the basement and Buffy got an old camp bed set up for him. After he was settled, Giles took Buffy to one side.

“I think it would be best if you restrained him until we know how he is going to react, when he recovers.”

“Giles, he’s as weak as a day old kitten!” Buffy smiled at her Watcher’s caution. “I could stop him in my sleep.”

“It’s not you I’m worried about; it’s Dawn and your mother. We don’t know what effect the spell has had on him and until we do, I think it’s better to err on the side of caution.”

Buffy reluctantly agreed, so Willow and Xander made a return journey to collect some blood and chains from Spike’s crypt.

__________________________________


The vampire had shown no reaction when the manacles were fastened on his wrists and still less reaction when a mug full of blood was put to his lips. He just lay silent and still, staring sightlessly at the ceiling.

“Come on Spike, drink up.” Buffy tipped the mug until the liquid inside touched his mouth. “Yum, yum, it’ll help you heal up.” His mouth stayed stubbornly closed and the blood ran down the sides of his face and on to the pillow. “Oh yuk! Now look at the mess you’ve made.”

She might as well have talked to herself. Grumbling under her breath, Buffy cleaned him up as well as she could and then stormed up the stairs to throw the blood down the sink.

“Let me try, I’ll bet I can make him drink.” Dawn had returned from her school trip and was furious that she’d missed all the excitement.

“No! Dawn, I don’t want you anywhere near the basement.” Buffy exclaimed.

“He wouldn’t hurt me – I’m his friend.”

“What have I told you – vampires don’t have friends. He’s a vicious, bloodthirsty, soulless killer. The only thing that stopped him attacking you was the chip. You are not to go see him.” Buffy’s eyes flashed dangerously and Dawn knew when to concede defeat.

“It’s not fair.” She muttered, tossing her hair back. “Anyway, how’s he going to heal if he doesn’t feed? Someone will have to persuade him – or we’ll have a pile of dust to clean up.” With that, she flounced off up the stairs to her room

Buffy had been thinking the same thing, how were they going to deal with this? She had always been in the business of stopping vampires eating, not encouraging them to feed. She was sure there was nothing in any of the books they had about the subject. She sighed, “I bet no other Slayer has had this problem.”

____________________________________

Later, Buffy lay in bed trying to sleep. She was still wired from the events of the day and she tossed and turned for a long time. At last, just as she was dropping off, she heard shouting and then an eerie keening sound. Jumping up, she was just reaching for her wrap, when Dawn came running in.

“What’s that noise? Buffy, what’s that noise?”

“I don’t know, Dawn, I’ll go and investigate. Go back to bed, I’ll deal with it.” She hugged her trembling sister and went down the stairs.

The sound was coming from the basement, but just as she reached the door, it ceased. She opened the door and crept down the stairs. There was a sound like muffled sobbing, but as she reached the bottom, it stopped. She moved over to the bed, where the vampire lay as still and quiet as before. The only difference she could see was that his eyes were closed and there were wet streaks on his face. Had he been weeping? It was the only explanation. Who knew that soulless vampires could cry?

“Spike?” She said uncertainly, “Um, is there anything I can do to help? Would you like some food now?” He made no sign that he’d heard her. Was he asleep? Unconscious? What with the no breathing and no heartbeat, it was impossible to tell. She stood shifting from foot to foot, undecided. “Well, if you need anything, just call for me. The shouting and screaming was wigging Dawn out.” He still lay as unmoving as a statue. “Okay, I’m going back to bed now.” She sounded weak and stupid to her own ears – way to go Buffy – very slayerlike.

She fled upstairs her mind a whirl of thoughts, questions and emotions.


____________________________________________

TBC