_______________________________________________

“Don’t you think it’s time to put Spike out of his misery?” Giles asked quietly. They had just finished another training session in the back room of the Magic Box.

“No! We can’t just treat him as if he’s a dog at the end of his useful life.” Buffy felt revulsion at the very idea. “He may not be human, but he’s not an animal either.”

“Then what do you suggest?” Giles said with asperity. “Willow has ascertained that he is no longer under the control of any spell; he seems to have decided to starve himself to death, would helping him be so wrong?”

Buffy sighed. “Sorry, I can’t talk about this now.”

It was all she could think about though. In the last three days, the vampire had visibly weakened, his skin was now almost translucent and his wounds weren’t healing. He hadn’t moved or spoken in all that time. He didn’t look as though he would last another day.

Wearily she pushed open her front door and made her way to the kitchen. Ice cream that’s what she needed, maybe its sugary goodness would help raise her spirits.

She stopped when she heard the sound of voices. No, it was one voice, Dawn’s voice and it was coming from the basement. Buffy opened the door and crept down the stairs.

“…………and then Janice said that Mason, you know the boy from the school football team that she’s been flirting with? She said that Mason …….”

“Dawn! What are you doing here?”

The young girl yelped and leaped to her feet. “Oh Buffy, you scared me to death!”

“I told you not to go near the basement – and yet here you are.” Buffy said angrily. “Why are you talking to an unconscious vampire?”

“It’s like he’s in a coma. They say that coma victims can still hear what’s said to them. So I thought I’d tell Spike all about my day.” Dawn said defiantly.

“You think he’s interested in what you do? Dawn, he’s a vampire – why would he be?”

“I told you before – he’s my friend and he always used to listen to me.”

“When did you talk to him? Have you been hanging out with him again?” Buffy said furiously. “Look Dawn, I don’t know why he pretended to be interested in you, but he’s not your friend.”

“He is too! He helped me break into the Magic Shop – it was so cool, he picked the lock and everything!” She suddenly realised what she’d said and covered her mouth guiltily.

Buffy spoke deceptively quietly, “When did he do that?”

“It was when you were all secret having about me being the key and nobody took any notice of what I was feeling. Spike never treats me like a child, he takes me seriously. He said that he’d protect me – and I wasn’t to tell you…..” Her voice faltered.

Buffy’s face softened. “I’m sorry Dawn; I was trying to protect you too. Maybe I should have told you, but I didn’t know how. Please come to me if you have questions - don’t involve Spike. I think I might have told you this before – he’s a vampire.” She smiled sadly, the urge to protect her sister uppermost in her mind.

“I know that you think it’s cool to hang with him, but it’s too dangerous.” She held her hand up when Dawn looked as though she was about to argue. Listen, you know vampires don’t feel pain in the same way as humans? Well, they don’t feel love or affection in the same way either.”

They were both so deep in their conversation, that neither of them noticed the vampire’s eyes snap open.


______________________________________


Spike was caught in a nightmarish loop. He kept reliving the moment he killed Drusilla. He saw his hand holding the stake plunge towards her breast, and then the expression on her face as she dusted. Over and over and over again. It was the same expression he’d seen on his mother’s face, when he’d had to stake her too. He’d never been able to come to terms with that – he’d always blocked it out of his mind. Now it was as if a wall had been torn down, and all he could think of was his mother’s and his lover’s last seconds of unlife. He had threatened to kill Dru before, but never thought that he’d actually have to. Now he had murdered his dark princess, but the alternative was unthinkable too. His mind sheared away from what he’d seen in the Slayers face. He thought that maybe he’d been dusted too and this was hell, the pain of his wounds was nothing compared to the pain of his thoughts.

After the terrible event at his crypt, he had felt his body being moved as if it belonged to someone else. He had a vague recollection of voices, but nothing could penetrate the anguish in his mind – until he’d heard someone yammering on non-stop, for what seemed like hours. At first it didn’t register, but after a while he took comfort in the sound and the words started to have meaning for him. It was the Bit, his little Bit. Wait – since when had she become “his” Bit, he thought in dismay. He found that in his mind she was now more to him than “Buffy’s-sister” and he realised at the same moment that Joyce was more than “Buffy’s-mum”. When had this happened? Humans should be prey, not in his heart and part of his family. His thoughts were interrupted by a new voice, an angry and upset voice – Buffy. He was almost plunged back into the endless vortex of despair at the sound. But then she started talking about him.

He opened his eyes and stared at her. She hadn’t noticed, she was too deep in her explanation of how he couldn’t love, couldn’t care about people. The thing was, she was right, or she should be. But he seemed to be wired differently from other vamps – he’d certainly never met another who could, and did, love like him. For him love was all. He’d been in love with Dru for over a century. He’d known that she didn’t love him in the same way, but it hadn’t mattered. Loving someone meant that he belonged, that he had a place somewhere and someone to look after and treasure. Now that person was Buffy. He couldn’t help it, the feeling had taken him totally by surprise – suddenly there it was – a bleeding master vampire in love with his mortal enemy.

He must have made a sound, because both females swung round and goggled at him. The youngest recovering first gave a squeal and launched herself at him. Spike grunted in pain as she hugged his broken ribs.

“Oh, sorry, sorry!” Dawn pulled back quickly. “It’s just so good to see you awake!”

He looked beyond her to where the Slayer was standing, her arms wrapped round herself. She was looking at him with an expression he couldn’t read



TBC

Thanks again for your wonderful reviews guys!!