The arrival of Buffy’s parents later that evening set Spike even more on edge than he already was. Her mother, a petite woman with shoulder length bouncy hair that reminded him of Buffy’s, and welcoming eyes that also reminded him of Buffy, had a domineering, protective streak in her that did not remind him of Buffy. Spike could see Joyce, as was her mother’s name, smiling while cutting you down to size at the same time. Underhanded comments served with a smile.

Hank, her father, was more relaxed. He was a stocky gentleman that had eyes the same hue as Buffy’s and a smile that welcomed everyone around him to smile as well. Just like Buffy. His eyes crinkled at the corners when he laughed, and Spike took an instant liking to him.

Upon their arrival, Joyce had eyed him like a hawk, and Hank had stuck out his hand, introducing himself. Buffy seemed nervous, and all Spike wanted to do was calm her. He didn’t like seeing her tense for he fed off it, and became tense himself. He stood right by her side, hoping to give her some strength.

Unless of course she opted not to tell them about the break-in. In which case, that’d be fine with him. Sure enough, when Buffy had settled them in the living room and wisely gave them each a glass of Merlot, and then told them what happened with the break in, Joyce started squawking and flinging accusations and snide remarks Spike’s way. She started with “How just protective the cops were in this town”, and “Did they not realize her daughter needed around the clock supervision?” and “Were they all just a bunch of louses that felt the need to sleep on the job instead of doing their job?” and “Did they not realize her tax dollars paid them?” Just when she was demanding Spike’s credentials in taking care of her daughter, Buffy put cease fire to Mama Bear Joyce. Hank told his wife to calm down and got a “Shut up, Hank” for his trouble. Instead, he sent an apologetic look to Buffy and Spike and sat back.

Hank knew the drill, and he knew he’d have no say, Spike figured. Just like a woman. They claimed they had no rights, they claimed it was a “Man’s world”, but when you got down to it, it was the woman who ran the show, or at least tried to run the show. All the whipped men in the world just bowed down to their ladies, and for what? For the promise of sex? For some chicken soup when they were sick? Screw that, Spike thought bitterly. I don’t need anyone to take care of me, and I sure as hell don’t need some bird telling me what to do. That’ll be the day when I bow down to any woman.

“Spike, I’d like to speak with my parents alone for a bit. Why don’t you go out for a little while?” Buffy said imploringly.

He didn’t want to leave Buffy alone with Mama Bear to make her feel as though she couldn’t take care of herself. He felt he owed it to Buffy to tell her mother how strong she was and how she was doing great at taking care of herself. She was a resourceful woman and her mother needed to know that. Buffy was kind and generous and sweet and…and nothing like her overbearing mother.

Sensing his hesitancy, she said, “It’s okay.”

He nodded slowly, eyed Joyce, and left, giving Finn and Gunn a heads up.

Time for relief.

********


“Mom—“ Buffy started.

“Buffy, come stay with us. We’ll get around the clock watch and maybe pull some strings to get a real detective in on this case. Your father knew someone in New York that—“

“No, Mom,” Buffy said firmly.

“Buffy, you cannot think about staying here. Not after what happened. How can you think of staying here? How can you feel safe?”

“Honestly, I didn’t feel safe at first last night—“

“And that cop,” Joyce said, grimacing. She said ‘cop’ as if it were a dirty word. “Does he do anything but grunt? How can you stand it? They’re all so…barbaric.”

“Oh, and Parker was so much better,” Buffy snapped.

“Parker was a gentleman!”

“Parker was fucking Gwen on a pool table!”

Her mother’s jaw dropped, horrified, and Hank cleared his throat, motioning his hand across his throat in a signal to Buffy to knock it off.

“Did you learn that language from Spike?” Joyce demanded.

“His real name is William, if you must know, mother,” Buffy sighed. Her mother had the uncanny ability to drain the life out of her.

“He has to go,” Joyce said with finality.

No!,” Buffy said forcefully. “He’s not going anywhere.”

*********


“What the hell do you want?”

Spike put on his best heart-melting grin and leaned casually in the doorway, looking up from underneath his long lashes. “Come on, Anya. Don’t be like that.”

********


“Buffy, don’t—“

“Don’t what? Don’t fight you? Don’t argue with you? Don’t ‘be ridiculous’? God, Mother…just…just back off. You’ve done nothing but coddle me my entire life. Thank God Angel was there to help me figure things out on my own, or you’d just have someone do everything for me for the rest of my life! I let you set me up with Parker and look how well that turned out! But you don’t want to see that, do you? Because it doesn’t fit into your world, and in your mind, so it’s best to just ignore the fact that he was a two timing creep and instead focus on the cop that has been here doing everything he can to make sure I feel safe. So, you know what I’d like for you to do? Butt out. I just want you to butt out and let me live my life. Let me take care of this on my own mother. I can take care of myself.”

Joyce stared at her in shock, and Buffy braced herself. Would she start screaming or threaten to ‘take it all away’ as she so often did when Buffy challenged her?

Instead, she straightened her gait, puffed out her chest and lifted her head haughtily. “Fine then. You take care of yourself. Don’t call me when you end up dead.” And she stalked off. Buffy had to bite back her laughter at that.

Hank stood, looking worried and yet proud. He came over and gave Buffy a big hug, holding her tight. Pulling back, he said, “Do you want me to send your mother home and I’ll stay here with you until Spike gets back?”

“Thank you, Dad. I’m fine right now. I’ll ask either Riley or Gunn to come in with me.”

Hank winced.

“What?”

“Your mother is beckoning me. Call me if you need anything, pumpkin, okay? I worry about you.”

“I will Dad, promise.”

Giving her one last peck on the forehead, he left.

Buffy felt good. Real good. She’d told off her mother and it felt fantastic. She couldn’t wait to tell Spike. But first, she had to get Riley or Gunn until he came back.