Spike stared at her, mouth agape. He hadn’t expected that to come out of her mouth, though he wasn’t sure why. It was a perfectly logical question from her standpoint, but he wasn’t prepared for it, and certainly didn’t know how to answer it in a tactful manner. Would he want to have sex with her? He’d wanted to have sex with her a thousand times over already. He wasn’t sure if that was something he could really tell her, and he wasn’t sure if that was something he couldn’t not tell her.

She was looking at him in almost sheer desperation, needing to know the answer to that, in her mind at the moment, it was a life and death question. How could he be anything but honest with her?

“Yes, Buffy, I would want to have sex with you.”

She took a trembling sigh, sat back and threw her hands up in the air. “You’re just saying to pacify me ‘cause I’m drunk!”

All right, so really, it wouldn’t have mattered either way how he answered that apparently, but he was still pretty sure he answered the right way. How could you go wrong with honesty, right?

She stumbled out of her chair and finished off her wine before grabbing the bottle and heading for the living room. Spike followed her, not entirely sure he could leave her long enough to clean up dinner.

She turned to him. “Are you following me?”

“I am,” he said evenly.

“Why?”

“Because I want to make sure you’re all right.”

“I’m fine. I just want to…hey, can we play a game?”

This should be good. “What kind of game?”

“Skeletons in the closet.”

“Haven’t we been playing that already? Pet, maybe we could play something else, like say, checkers.”

“Bo-oring. I want to play Skeletons in the Closet.”

“What if I don’t want to?”

“I don’t care, I want to.”

So, there was a bossy side to Buffy. Just had to get her drunk to draw it out. Fun, fun.

“Well, maybe we should clean up dinner first?”

She shrugged and headed back to the dining room. “Okay! But don’t think I’m going to forget about playing. We’ll just play while we clean up.”

Can’t wait, Spike thought as he gathered some dishes and watched her closely to make sure she got everything she picked up all right. No sharp objects around Buffy at this point in time, no way.

Walking back and forth from the kitchen to the living room, Buffy seemed to be thinking hard about what to ask. He chuckled to himself, watching how her forehead crinkled in though and she got a little crease in the middle of her eyebrows.

“What would you do if you weren’t a cop?” she finally asked.

He smiled, “I’d probably teach.”

“English?”

“Yes, luv, English. What would you do if you weren’t editing for a website?”

“Travel. I’d like to travel.”

“You have enough money to do that, I’m sure.”

“No…I don’t want to live off them even more. I want to do that on my own with my own money.”

“Where would you go?”

“London and Italy.”

He smiled, “London, huh?”

She grinned, “Yep!"

He had to laugh. “Okay, so—“

“Nope, that was two – three—questions. My turn now.”

“Shoot.”

“Do you miss England?”

“Well, I was only a teenager when I left, but yeah, I do.”

“Maybe you could show me London one day.”

“Maybe I could.”

They stared at each other for a moment, just smiling at each other.

“Kay, pet,” he said, breaking the staring contest, “What else you want to ask?”

“How old were you when you lost your virginity?”

“Twenty.”

Buffy’s jaw dropped and Spike chose that moment to start dishing the leftover pasta in some Tupperware. She stood across from him at the island as he worked. “Really?” she said in disbelief.

“Yup. Shocked?”

“I figured you did it at like…fifteen or something.”

Spike laughed, “What are you trying to say, pet? I’m a slut?”

Her eyes widened, horrified. “No, no, I just meant that you seemed…experienced—“

“Is that just a PC way of saying ‘slut’?”

“No, Spike, I’m not saying that at all—“

“I’m teasing you, Buffy.”

“Oh.” Then she glared at him. “Jerk.”

“I lost my virginity late because…Well, truth was, I wasn’t so good with the ladies then—“

“And you are now?” she joked. “I’m kidding, I couldn’t help it. You walked into that one.”

He gave her a look, though he was grinning. “Laugh it up.”

“Sorry. Continue. Not good with the ladies and…?”

“And my first time was with Drusilla.”

“Oh, Spike.”

“I know.”

“That totally blows!”

He laughed again. “Blows huh?”

“Yeah, we both lost it to people we thought truly cared about us, but noooooooo….it’s amazing to me how some people can do crap like that and live with themselves. It’s like all it is is a game to them. It’s absolutely disgusting. And you know what’s even worse?”

“No, what?”

“The fact that those guys could have known about you and still did it. To another guy. And the fact that Gwen did it to me, another woman. Shouldn’t there be some code of ethics? Some kind of rule or law…something that says ‘thou shalt not screw over their own gender’? I mean, women take crap from men and vice versa, so shouldn’t we be looking out for our own gender?”

“’Fraid the world isn’t made up that way.”

“It should be.”

Silence, then, “Buffy, did you like your first time?”

She stared at him, blinked, and said “Sort of. Not really.”

“Why not?”

“Well, he was patient at first and then it was just like as soon as he got where he wanted to be, it was a race for the finish line. I didn’t win that round, and it wasn’t often that I won after, either. I was ready to go right away, but he was all tired.”

Spike couldn’t stop laughing. “Oh, pet. You crack me up.”

“I wouldn’t talk this way if I were sober,” she told him, blushing.

“I know. You want to know something though?”

“What?”

“It’d be okay if you did. But just with me though.”

“Well…I’m curious about…stuff.”

“Like what?”

“Like what it feels like for the guy, for example.”

“Wet, warm…like…when you’re out in the cold and you put a pair of warm gloves on from your pocket and you have that blissful moment of being encased in snug warmth.”

“But then more exciting than that? That sounds kinda boring.”

Chuckling, Spike nodded. “Yeah, but more exciting.”

“What is your favorite part of sex, Spike?”

“I don’t know that I have a favorite part. All of it is good.”

“Is it true that sex is like pizza—even if it’s bad, it’s still pretty good?”

Spike grinned, “You tell me.”

“Yeah, I guess, but…I would have liked to have ‘won’ more often.”

“When someone cares about getting the girl they’re with off, and not just themselves, you will get off, pet.”

“So, do you want to try it?”

He froze. “Try what?”

“Getting me off.”