Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone that has supported this story by reading and reviewing. It means so much to me, thank you. :)
Epilogue

It hadn’t been an easy case to stomach, for either Buffy or Spike. But when all was said and done, Riley was put behind bars and then, with complete certainty, Buffy could say, “It’s over. It’s well and truly over.”

The pair had made special plans once the case was done to get away. Since it had taken seemingly forever for it all to be tied up and put away, Spike and Buffy had moved in together – her parents insisting despite heavy protests from the couple that they could manage on their own – on getting them a nice apartment and making sure that Buffy had all that she needed. Spike had elbowed his way in on that deal and told them in no uncertain terms he was taking care of things for Buffy and he’d ask if he needed help, but they were to clearly butt out.

Her mother had grudgingly caved in. Buffy knew Joyce didn’t want to outright admit it, but Spike had saved her. He’d kept his promise to take care of her, and though she liked to lord it over Spike’s head now and then – when he was arguing with her and challenging her, namely – that Buffy had gotten kidnapped in his care. Joyce did know, however, that that was something out of his control. He had, after all, been squaring off with a gunman.

Buffy actually found it amusing the way her mother and Spike related. She’d make demands, he’d retaliate, her mother would argue, Spike would argue and slowly Joyce would come around. It was quite fascinating to watch, and Hank kept pestering Spike on how he did it. Spike would just smile and say “It’s all a part of my charm.” To which Buffy would retort, “You have charm?” Which of course led to Spike later showing her just how much charm he had. Oftentimes, she swore she did it just for that.

Angel had moved in with his girlfriend, Cordelia Chase, across town and made sure he did his brotherly bit in checking in on the pair now and then. He liked to hoard his “Big Brother” status over Spike every now and then and mostly, Spike just humored him, or stepped aside and let Angel do what he had to do. Buffy and Angel had a sibling bond that could not be penetrated and Spike respected that. He also knew that there would be times when Buffy wanted to talk to Angel about something first before approaching Spike about it. At times it bothered him, but he was learning that it was just something she had grown accustomed to and as long as she did come to him in the end, he supposed it didn’t matter too much.

While his relationship with Buffy’s parents thrived, so was Spike’s relationship with his mother and stepfather/uncle. Slowly, anyway. It wasn’t “one big happy family” yet, but they were trying. Some days were good, and other days not so much. It was a lot to wade through, but both had been there for him and Buffy during the trial and that had meant a lot to Spike. He figured perhaps it was time to work through their issues so that one day maybe they could be that “one big happy family”.

And now, the pair was on a beach in sunny Hawaii, basking in the sunlight. Well, she was anyway. Buffy watched the ocean with avid attention. Others found peace in hearing the waves crash, and since Buffy could not partake in that experience, she found her peace in watching it. She felt the stress of the past year dissolve and all that was left was a sense of peace and clarity. She looked over at Spike who she could tell was grumbling about the sand getting everywhere it wasn’t supposed to be and she grinned. He was just so cute.

“Spike.”

He looked up at her. “Yes, Princess?”

She smiled. “Will you go in the water with me?”

“Sure,” he drawled, “I could stand to wash the sand that’s seemed to have set in with my goodies.”

She laughed and stood from her spot on the blanket, and held out her hand.

Grinning, he took it and they walked hand in hand to the incredibly brilliant blue water.

Buffy cooed in delight when the water lapped at her skin. It was so warm and inviting and though she was used to it in California, there was something to be said for being in Hawaii and away from home in a thoroughly gorgeous atmosphere.

They waded out for a ways until Buffy could stand it no longer and dove in under water, swimming furiously.

When she came up, she found Spike looking worried.

“What?” she asked.

“You were under there a long time!” he exclaimed, coming toward her.

She shrugged, “I told you I was a good swimmer.”

“I know, kitten, I just…worry sometimes. You’re my girl, ya know?”

She smiled and pulled him into her arms when he was close enough to grab. “I know.”

Picking his girl up, Spike encouraged her to wrap her legs around his waist and he held her close to him as they bobbed in the waves.

“Besides,” he went on to explain, “I don’t want to have to be the one to tell your mother I was irresponsible and lost you at sea.”

Buffy giggled. “You know she likes you.”

“Yeah,” Spike smiled, “I know the old bird likes me. Frankly, I think she has a bit of a thing for me.”

Now, Buffy laughed and Spike couldn’t help but be swept into good humor, and laughed as well.

“Buffy.” He said, chucking her under the chin to make her look at him. It hit him suddenly as to what a perfect time it was to ask her the thing he’d had to go to Angel and her father for – purposely avoiding Joyce – and ask them permission, as was traditional to do.

“Yeah?”

Looking down at her, he was swept away by her. “I love you so much,” he gushed. One thing he had gotten so much better at was expressing himself when it came to how he felt, and what he wanted and needed from her. He could still be a sullen boy that refused to give it up, but more often than not, he found he was able to tell her what was in his heart and without holding back or playing games.

“I love you too,” she cooed at him.

“You are…the world to me, and God, I …I never thought I’d find someone like you. I thought I was going to be alone for the rest of my days.”

“That’s not really what you wanted though, was it?”

“No, I didn’t. I just convinced myself I would be perfectly fine that way.”

“I know how you feel though, Spike. I felt that way my whole life.”
“Until me?” he asked hopefully, still needing reassurance every now and then.

She smiled, “Until you.”

“You so casually swept in my life and you just…you just grabbed my heart and didn’t let go.”

“Sorry?”

“No, luv,” he said gently, “Don’t apologize for that. I thank you for that.”

“You did the same, you know. Right from the start.”

Kissing her forehead, he whispered. “Marry me.”

She reared back slightly, stunned. “What?”

“Marry me. I can’t imagine my life without you, Buffy. I don’t want to. I love the life we have together; I love who you are, what you do, and selfishly, what you do for me. I want that forever. I was going to ask at dinner, make it a whole big thing, but here, right now, in the water, it feels right, don’t you think?”

Smiling dazedly, Buffy kissed him hard. “Yes.”

“Yes?”

“Yes, I will marry you.”

Whooping with joy, Spike rained kisses all over her face. “I love you so much, baby.”

”I love you too,” she giggled, trying to meet some of his kisses.

“How much do you love me?” he asked wriggling his brows and leering at her.

She eyed him suspiciously. “What did you have in mind?”

“Sex in the water. Whaddya say?”

“Spike, we can’t!” Though the idea of it had her instantly wet.

Tugging her bottoms and his bottoms down with minimal protest from her, Spike slid a finger inside her. “Oh, I think we can. Especially since my girl is already so wet for me.”

“Spike,” she gasped.

“Lift up…and now sink…yeah, that’s it. Ride me, Buffy.”

Some might have known what they were up to, after all it was a public beach and nothing but the water around them was shielding them no matter how far out they were currently, but Spike didn’t care, all he could see, and feel, was his now fiancé, riding him as best she could. And with the knowledge now that she was his and his forever, Spike was closer to release than ever before.

“Spike…I’m gonna…” she murmured. And apparently so was she.

“Tell me you love me,” he demanded, making her look at him.

“I love you.”

“Tell me it’s only me.”

“Only you.”

Cupping her face in his hands, he declared. “I love you with everything I am. You were made for me.”

And she let go, with Spike following behind.

Holding onto each other as they came down from their highs, Buffy looked up at him lazily. “You’re just full of surprises.”

He grinned. “And I’m sure we’ll have many more to come.”

"You know what our next challenge is?"

"What?"

"Getting our swimsuits back. I think we lost them."

The End