Author's Chapter Notes:
Going into hospital tomorrow so may be a while before i post next chapter... sorry peep!
Chapter 2: Party Time

Sitting back in the passenger seat of the Desoto, Buffy sank further down into her seat. Hazarding a glance over at her date, she saw his hands holding tightly onto the steering wheel, his knuckles where turning white as he clutched it so hard. His jaw clenched making the cheekbones more pronounced as he looked straight ahead refusing to look at her.

Since he had dragged her out of the diner, Buffy had been feeling guiltier and guiltier, the longer he refused to talk to her was only making it worse. She realized now that she had been very, very wrong about his motives towards her, and she just couldn't stop this feeling that she was a bad person for upsetting him.

Here she was having all her dreams come true, and already, not one hour into it, managed to mess it all up, things were certainly not going well.

''I am really, really sorry for what I said back there, I didn't mean it honestly. Well okay, I did mean it, but only because I thought ... well you know what I thought. I am really, really sorry, and I realize I have said that a few times now. We can just go back to the diner if you want."

"Forget about it, princess, everything is fine." While he spoke, he didn't turn to look at her once, nor did he make any inclination that he was talking to her at all. It certainly didn't make her feel everything was 'fine'.

Deciding to keep her mouth shut, she sunk back into her and watched sped past her window.

Soon the small little condo houses Sunnydale was scattered with started to give way to grander houses, all with swimming pools and three cars in the driveway. Buffy knew the Sunnydale elite came from this end of town. It was certainly a place Buffy never imagined she would come.

Pulling up next to the curb, behind a long line of cars, Spike killed the engine. "Here’s our stop, Blondie. You wanted crowded and popular, you got it."

Getting out the car, this time he didn't come round her side and help her out, he just stood and waited for her to join him.

Buffy suddenly felt very conscious in her dress that her mother had picked out for her, she knew she would stand out here like a store thumb. Handing Spike his coat back, he took it from her hands and put it back on.

"Come on, pet."

As the walked up the drive of one of the grandest houses, loud dance music could be heard. Buffy could see dancing kids everywhere and she could feel their eyes glaring at her; she deeply regretted saying anything to him now.

As the neared the house, a guy with dark hair came out the house, Buffy knew this was Angel. Apparently he was dating Cordelia at the moment, but then those two where always on and off. Behind Angel a tall black guy followed him out the house. Spotting Spike they called to him before walking over.

"Yo Spike, Didn't think you where coming, bro." It was Gunn that had spoke, out of all Spike's friends, Gunn was Buffy's favorite although she had never spoke to any of them, Gunn had never gone out of his way to be cruel to her like the others.

"Yeah well, changed my mind didn't I mate." Spike took the beer Gunn was offering him, and took a long swig before looking over at Angel. "You and Malibu Barbie not off shagging somewhere?"

Angel just laughed. "Later." His eyes shifted from his blond friend to Buffy who was hiding behind Spike's back. "What you bring her for?"

"She my date, so leave off it, peaches." Angel laughed again causing Spike to hit him hard on the arm "I said, leave off it."

Watching the two friends arguing again, Gunn came round to stand by Buffy. "Buffy ain't it?" she just nodded. "Wanna get a drink?"

"Umm okay. Should I wait for Spike?"

Gunn looked over at Spike and Angel. "Those two will be there a while, you wouldn't think they where friends. Easy just to leave them to it; just don't get them started on cavemen and astronauts." Buffy just gave him a puzzled look. "Don't worry about it. Come on"

Together the two of them went into the house.

Inside there seemed to be people everywhere. In dark corners and sprawled across sofa's Buffy could see couples everywhere making out like there was no tomorrow. Everyone seemed to be drunk which just made Buffy feel all the more conscious about being there.

Following Gunn past everyone, the two went into the kitchen, where on the center island, rows of different drinks where lined out.

"Okay then, so what do you want, we go beer, beer, or some funky looking drink or.."

"I'll just have coke, please."

"Coke for the lady I can achieve." Opening the fridge door he pulled out the half drunk bottle and filled up one of the plastic glasses on the side. "Here you go."

"Thank you." Taking a small sip, Buffy smiled and turned back to look at Gunn, who was leaning against the counter.

"So Spike finally asked you out then? I didn't think he was gonna bring you here, but then again this is Spike we are talking about."

"It was kinda my idea to come here."

"Ahh, makes kinda sense." Just then Harmony came floating into the kitchen.

"Gunny wunny, Hiiiii" Her bubbly voice managed to spread the word 'hi' out to inhuman lengths. Buffy could see Gunn inwardly cringe, Harmony however was oblivious. "Whatcha doing in here all on your little own-e-oh?"

Gunn did a little head nod towards Buffy. "Keeping Buff company, till Spike gets back."

"What would Spike want with 'her'. Gunn don't you know he has more taste than that. He doesn't need her to screw."

"Harm', Buffy is his date for the night. He brought her here, so why don't you just turn around and go back to your bottle blonde friends." Buffy felt her cheeks blush as he stood up to her.

"Oh don't be like that Gunny Wunny."

Just then Cordelia came into the room. "Harm, did you managed to sort yourself out with that drink, you have been in here ages. Oh hi Gunn."

As she came further into the room, she saw Buffy stood in the corner. "Oh. Gunn did you bring Miss fashionable here?"

"No, she's Spikes date; we’re just waiting for the man in question."

Fixing herself another drink, Cordy turned with a beaming smile on her face. "Gunn, would you do me a big favor? Would you go and see if Angel is outside, he promised he would stay by me, oh and maybe you could hurry Spike up for Buffy here while you are out there." Seeing Gunn's uncertainty, Cordelia gave him an even bigger smile. "Don't worry, Buffy will be fine here. I'll keep my eye on her."

With a wary look, Gunn sigh, placed his beer on the side, and left to go and find Angel and Spike.

Gulping loudly, Buffy turned to face the wolves, now she really regretted saying anything in the diner.

"Maybe I should go with Gunn, Spike told me to stay near him." It was a lie, but these two wouldn't know.

Cordelia just laughed, "Oh I guess you always do what a guy tells you to. But then again I suppose this is the first one who has ever even looked at you, there is no wonder you are walking round with you tongue hanging out for the world to see. Geeks usually do just do what they are told."

Giving an evil smirk Harmony turned to face her now. "You don't really think that Spike likes you do you? You are just a toy Buffy, a toy he likes to play with, trust me, I am only trying to be nice and stop you getting hurt, but he really is only playing with you. He could never actually like you. Look at yourself, you are just not his type, you are not pretty. You should just leave now before he makes a fool out of you."

She had said it in such a sincere way, that Buffy hadn't even realized that she was being manipulated and the niggle of doubt had started to creep its way into her mind. Before she could fully let her mind adjust to what she was being told, Cordelia turned to look at her again with a big smile.

"Harmony, now just look how rude we are being, we haven't even offered Buffy a drink. We have some lovely cocktails, do you not want one?"

"No, thank you. I don't drink alcohol" She said it so quietly, she was certain they hadn't heard, but judging by Cordelia's smile, they had.

Keeping her eyes on Cordelia while she talked, Buffy didn't even notice Harmony sneak round the back of her and switch the drink Buffy had placed on the counter with her own. The two drinks looked very similar, but Harmony knew Buffy wouldn't be able to taste the alcohol in it over the taste of the coke.

"Buffy where did you get that dress from?" Buffy looked at Cordy who was wearing a dazzling designer number.

"My umm, my mom bought it me."

"Really? Its umm, nice." Cordelia wore the biggest fake smile on her face.

"My servant has the same dress." Harmony had said the one thing certain to put Buffy in her place and make her feel like shit. Looking down she realized her dress really was very dated and little girly.

"Hey Buffy, did you bring a swimming costume with you. I know you won't have a bikini but i am sure even someone like you should have a one piece. I don't know whether people in your circle know, but I have one of the biggest pools in Sunnydale."

Buffy was starting to feel more and more apprehensive. She couldn't swim, and she thought it was common knowledge; she had certainly been bullied enough about it.

"Umm, I kinda haven't brought anything; I didn't know I was coming, so I kinda didn't bring it. Umm, sorry?" Feeling her mouth go dry, Buffy reached behind her, finding her drink she swallowed it all in one, not noticing the smile on Harmony's face.

Cordelia walked over and linked arms with Buffy. "I know you have a problem with the water, but we want to help. So why do we all go down to the pool and have a look what the other swimmers are doing."

Taking her other arm, Harmony and Cordelia led Buffy out of the kitchen and down to pool. Feeling herself start to feel a little light headed and dizzy, Buffy was powerless to stop them.

When they reached the pool edge, Buffy was feeling positively drunk. She wasn't sure why the coke she had drunk was affecting her in this way, but she was slowly losing the use of her arms and legs and was feeling them turn to jelly.

Slowly Cordelia turned to Buffy with a harsh look on her face. "Look Buffy, I am just going to come right out and say this. You and Spike are just not meant to be. You are in two different worlds, that aren't to be mixed. I hope you don't honestly think that Spike could care for you at all. He’s the elite in this school and you are just the scum. Look at him over there." Turning to where she was pointing she saw Spike, and just as Cordelia hoped, he was talked to an attractive girl wearing a very skimpy bikini. "See Buffy, he doesn't care for you. You have been away from him for less that half an hour and already he is chatting someone else up. You just don't belong here. I think its time you leave." And with that she gave Buffy a little shove in the back.

Caught of guard from the drink and the pain of watching Spike she didn't realize until too late what Cordelia was doing. Finding herself pushed into the deep end of the pool, Buffy thrashed around in the water, getting mouthfuls of water as she tried to scream for help, but it was pointless.

Her inability to swim and the alcohol she had obviously been given, finally overpowered her and she lost the battle with the water.

The last thing she saw before she blanked out and sunk under the water, was Spike on the other side of the pool turning carelessly towards her. Then she sank beneath the surface.

TBC....