Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry its been a while, I have had beta problems, however i have an amazing one now, and i promise you all that this story is not dead. However if anyone wants to Beta sticking with you, please let me know help would be greatly appreciated.
Chapter 5: Fears and discoveries.

Pushing the door open, Joyce looked at her daughter lying on the lonely hospital bed. She was pale and drawn, her damp hair hung limply round her face and there was a drip going into her arm. Several machines were also beeping away and it made Joyce feel sick to see her daughter this way.

Quietly closing the door behind her, Joyce went and sat down on the chair, next to Buffy’s bed.

Slowly opening her eyes, Buffy looked over at Joyce, and whispered, “Mommy?”

Hearing her little girl’s voice, Joyce sat bolt upright in her chair. “I’m here, baby.”

“Where am I Mom?”

“You’re in hospital, sweetie. You fell into someone's pool, but you were brought straight here. Do you remember any of that? Never mind. You have to stay in over night, but then they’re letting you come home.”

Fear suddenly crossed Buffy’s face, and she tried to sit up. “No mommy. I’ll be fine. Please just let me go home with you. Don’t make me stay here. Please mommy.”

Slowly pressing her back down onto the bed, Joyce tried to sooth Buffy by running her fingers through her hair. “Shhh, baby, it’s only for one night. You’ll be fine I promise, and I’ll stay as long as you need me to.”

Laying back down on the thick hospital pillows, tears stung Buffy’s eyes as she tried to hold them back. “Where’s Spike?”

“I don’t know, honey, I don’t know who you mean. There is only me here.”

More tears started to roll down her cheeks, at the thought that Spike had just left her. Rolling over to face the wall, she closed her eyes and started to chant over and over in her head. “Its only one night, just one night.”. All she wanted to do right now, was to get out of here and get back home, and to find out why Spike had abandoned her and left her all alone in the hospital.

***
Seeing a light coming from the front room, Spike knew someone was awake, probably his sister. He also knew he couldn’t stay sat in his car for the rest of the night, as someone was bound to come out and find him soon enough.

Pulling himself from the car, he walked across the neatly cut grass, totally ignoring the white paving slabs that his mother had laid in a bid to try and stop him walking across her lawn. Fishing his keys out of his jeans pockets he quietly unlocked the door. Slipping inside he locked the door behind him, and dropped his keys onto the little table next to the door.

Turning from the door, he tried to sneak up the stairs before anyone saw him.

“Not so fast, buster” Sighing slightly, Spike stepped off the stair and turned to face his sister.

Faith was stood in the doorway to the living room, wearing a simple black halter top and pair of black and white check pyjama bottoms. Her dark hair was tied back into a low pony tail and she clutched in her hand a chicken sandwich, her late night snack of choice. Spike always found it amusing that she would come in hungry and horny after her nights out. “Get your arse back down here, big bro. Tell me about your night.”

“Faith, I don’t want to talk about it. Goodnight.”

“Not go well with, Blondie? Did she shoot you down? Aww poor little Spikey getting let down by an iddy biddy girl.” She laughed, “Guess you shouldn’t have taken my advice after all.” Pulling a piece of chicken out of her sandwich, she placed it into her mouth.

“The date went well actually, turns out she likes me too.” Spike replied quietly.

“Well that’s good, so go on then, what’s with the glum face?”

Taking off his duster, he laid it across the banister, before sitting down on the bottom step of the stairs. Finding a speck of dust on his jeans, he started to pick at it. “Yeah see, well here’s the thing, Buffy really is one bloody annoying, difficult chit. Met her after the show, took her to mum’s ice cream bar, corny as hell I know, you don’t have to tell me, but don’t you dare laugh. Thought she’d love it, she’s a girl after all. Think sodding again! She yells at me right there at the ice cream place, you’d have found that amusing. So I listen, I react. I do the bloody thing I should never have done, I act like myself. I take her to Malibu Barbie’s party. Sodding terrible move. She ends up in the pool! And so the rest of my eventful evening has been spent in casualty, where I was chased away by Buffy’s damn mother of all people. And there you go, that was my evening, so how was yours?” He purposely didn’t tell her about the meds Buffy was on, or the fact he didn’t wait for the ambulance.

“Damn bro, you certainly know how to show a girl a good time. Mine was not half way close to the excitement that you’ve obviously had.” Laughing, she picked out more of her chicken.

“Yeah so that’s my night, nothing more to tell. Right then, off to bed for me. Night.” With that he got up off the step and turned round at started going up the stairs, leaving Faith lost for words yet amused.

Spike was half way up the stairs, when he stopped. Sighing he realised he was being stupid. Turning round he walked down the stairs and into the lounge.

Faith was now sat on the settee, her legs were crossed, and she was eating the last remains of her sandwich, an amused look on her face. “So, spill bro. What’s got your knickers in a twist?”

“Its nothing really.” Faith gave him a sceptical look. “Okay! okay! Look how much do you know about drugs?”

“Recreational? ‘cuz they’re a bundle of laughs.”

“No. I mean prescription drugs. Do you know what Clonazepam is?”

“Clonazepam? Wow bro, whatcha getting mixed up in something like that for? Clonazepam is nasty.”

“You know what it is?” She just nodded. “What do people take it for?”

“Tell me first why you want to know.” Crossing her arms over her chest Faith just stared at her brother.

“You know that I’m not about to tell you that.”

“Then I guess you aren’t going to find out what your pretty drug does then, you aren’t going to get to know what you want.” She continued to stare at him, knowing it wouldn’t be long before he cracked, he never was the patient type even when they where children.

“Okay, fine! When I was up at the hospital, the doc told me it’s what Buffy is on. She’s taking it regularly. I need to know if she’s sick. So come on Faith I’ve answered your question, time for you to answer mine. What the hell is Clonazepam?”

“Okay, this Clonazepam, you want to know so much about. Like I said, it’s nasty. For someone to be taking it regularly, like you say Buffy is? Means they must be really messed up. It’s for seizures, bro.” She paused looking into her brother’s face. “I am sorry.”

Spike couldn’t stop the shock from clouding his face, seizures? Did that mean Buffy had epilepsy? Why was she having these seizures?

He needed answers, but what could he do? He couldn’t exactly go up to Buffy, when they hadn’t even had a proper first date yet, and demand to know why she was taking a medication that he wasn’t even supposed to know she was taking.

“Look bro, wish I could tell you more, but I can’t.”

“Thanks, Faith. Look is been a long day, I’m gonna hit the sack.”

Getting up, he nodded to his sister before heading up to his room. Shutting the door quietly, he went and lay on his bed. With his arms behind his head he stared up at his black ceiling.

Tomorrow he’d go and see Buffy, hopefully she’d be getting out of the hospital soon. He would just act cool, and be extra protective of her. Whatever reason she had for taking the meds, it wouldn’t effect their relationship. She was his girl and he was going to protect her.

TBC…

Thank you to anyone who has stuck with me despite the long absence, it really does mean a lot to me.