Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry its been a while, a lot has been going on her. sorry.
Chapter 6: Hospital

The following morning, Buffy woke alone and in a small bed. Her vision was blurred, but as it slowly came into focus, so to did the sterile hospital room she was apparently in, and with that realisation, the memory of everything that had happened the night before started to come back to her.

She remembered going to the ice cream bar with Spike, well, until she had gone off at him, and he’d ended up getting angry with her, and took her to Cordelia Chases party. Buffy didn’t remember much of the party, but she knew that Spike had left her with Charles Gunn. That was the last thing she could remember, the rest was all a blank in her memory and she couldn’t recall anything else from the previous evening.

Her hair smelled of chlorine, and she wrinkled her nose in confusion, it wasn’t a hospital smell and Buffy hadn’t been near a pool since she had nearly drowned in one when she was a child. So why did her hair smell of chlorine?

The confusion was tearing her apart, why couldn’t she remember anything that had happened? Why?

But despite all blanks in her memories of last night, one question loomed at the forefront of her mind. Where was Spike? What part did he play in all this? And who’d brought her to the hospital?

Now, here she was, in the hospital, after whatever had happened last night.

Buffy hated hospitals, she had done ever since her cousin had died in hospital. Being there was her idea of hell, it was bad enough having nightmares after her cousin died, but here she was with gaps in her memories and feeling like crap.

Sitting up slowly her head started to spin painfully. Reaching to the small table next to her bed, she picked up the buzzer and rang for the nurse. A small, plump lady, who looked really motherly, appeared moments later. Buffy took an immediate liking to her.

When the nurse saw Buffy sat up in the bed, her smile grew so large that Buffy couldn’t have stopped herself smiling in response even if she’d wanted to.

“Oh good you’re awake. I was starting to wonder if you were going to sleep the whole day away. How are you feeling? Have you got any pain this morning?”

“Umm my head’s a little sore, it sorta makes me feel like the room is spinning when I move.”

“That’s to be expected, dear. But I promise it will go soon, I shouldn’t worry.” The nurse busied herself checking Buffy’s vitals.

“I hope so. Do you know by any chance if my mom was called?”

“Oh you gave her quite a scare last night, not to mention that young man who brought you in. Never seen someone go as pale as he did, mind you he did have quite a pale complexion. But your mom? She never left, she’s outside in one of the waiting room chairs. She did see you last night but you may have been a little confused. So it’s okay if you don’t remember. Would you like me to go and fetch her for you?”

Buffy’s mind had latched onto one thing the nurse had said, who was the someone who had brought her in?

“Buffy? Are you sure you are okay?”

Snapping out of her thoughts, Buffy looked up into the concerned face of the nurse.

“Oh, sorry, yeah I’m fine, but if you could go get my mom, that would be great.”

As the nurse exited the room, Buffy was left to ponder again, what had happened the night before?

***

When Spike finally rolled out of bed the following morning, his first thought was of Buffy. He had to try to get up to the hospital today to go and see her and check that she was okay. Looking at the clock he saw that it was already 11am, the evening must have taken more out of him than he thought it had.

He didn't know when Buffy would get out of the hospital, but he knew she wouldn’t approve of him turning up at her house, or more exactly her mum wouldn't approve, so his best bet of getting to see Buffy was at the hospital.

He was about to reach for the pile of clothes he’d dumped on the floor last night, when he realised that they were still wet. Going to his wardrobe, he pulled out a pair of simple dark jeans and a dark blue t-shirt. Forgetting to gel his hair, which still smelt strongly of chlorine, he left his room in search of his leather duster.

After 10 minuets of searching, he gave up, figuring it was probably still on the back seat of his car, he remembered putting it over Buffy last night to try and reserve some of her body heat. Instead of carrying on looking, he went to the cupboard under the stairs and pulled out a denim jacket he hadn't worn in years.

As he left the house he didn't see Faith sniggering at him from the top of the stairs. Her brother really was loves bitch. He just didn't realise how much he had softened his usually tough demeanour for one girl. She must really mean something to him.

---

As he climbed into his car, he did a quick check to ascertain that his duster was there, before he reversed off the drive. Half way to the hospital, he pulled his cell phone from the glove box and dialled Gunn's number. Spike might have acted like badass, but he knew good friends where hard to find, and Gunn had gone out on a limb for him last night. The least that Spike could do was thank him.

When he had finished the conversation, he hung up and threw it on the passenger seat. Glancing at the clock, he saw that it was 11.30, putting his foot down, he sped the rest of the way to the hospital.

---

When he arrived at the hospital, he noted that it was a lot quieter than it had been the night before. Glancing around he saw that it was a foolish task to try and look for the nurse who had helped them when he had brought Buffy in; it seemed that there had been a shift change and all the staff had changed.

Heading over to the main desk he found out that Buffy was in room three, thanking the nurse he headed off down the corridor in search of her room.

Knocking lightly on the door, he was greeted by Buffy's mum’s voice calling out. "Come in." Bracing himself for another tongue lashing from her mum he opened the door. Once inside he was greeted with the sight of Buffy sitting up in bed and looking a lot more alert than he thought she would be, and her mum was sat at the side of her bed, watching him with a hint of curiosity.

As Spike had come into the room, Joyce had immediately recognised him from the previous evening, although she had to admit, he certainly looked a lot gentler this morning than he had the night before when she’d shouted at him, now that Buffy was ok she was less concerned about Buffy talking to him.

Buffy on the other hand was visibly shocked to see him stood in her hospital room, she still couldn't really remember what had happened to her the night before. She remembered shouting at Spike but that was the last of it, so she certainly didn't understand what he was doing here today, and why he was looking so different. "Umm mom, this is, umm, Spike."

"We met last night, darling, I am afraid I was quite rude to your friend. I apologise, Spike, was it?"

"You can call me William. That’s okay about last night you where worried about Buffy its understandable." Spike shifted from foot to foot feeling very uncomfortable in the room with the two women staring at him.

Buffy picked up on his awkwardness, and plus she had some questions she wanted to ask Spike, so it would be better if her mom wasn't there. "Mom, would you give us a moment?"

Looking a little warily at William she realised she was just being overly protective of her daughter and quietly excused herself.

When Joyce left the room, Spike gave sigh of relief. "How are you feeling Buffy." Remembering what the doctor had told him last night, he couldn't help but worry that she may have a fit at any moment, if he put her into a stressful situation if he asked her too many questions.

"I’m okay, apart from the fact I don't have a clue what the hell happened to me! What are you doing here Spike? What happened to me last night? And what am I doing here?! My mom isn't telling me anything!"

"Shh, calm down Buffy." As her voice had risen, he got more worried that it would cause her to have a fit. "Just tell me what you last remember and I will try to fill in the rest."

"Okay, so… last thing I remember. Me shouting at you in the dinner." She said the last bit really fast in hopes that he had forgotten she had done it.

Spike couldn't help chuckling at how sweet she was. "Well after your little outburst I kinda of took off in a huff, and I did something stupid."

Fear marred Buffy’s face at the thought that Spike was the one that had put her in the hospital.

Watching the change in her facial expression, Spike immediately understood that he had just said the wrong thing. "No no no!!!! I didn't hurt you! I meant, I took you to Cordelia's party. I should never have let what you said get to me, I shouldn't have taken you there, then maybe you wouldn't have got hurt. I kinda left you alone with Gunn for about 10 minutes while I talked to Angel. I guess I maybe needed to cool off. I knew you would be safe with Gunn, but then he came out to see Angel and I, and you weren’t with him. I got really worried and went searching for you. That’s when I saw you fall into Cordelia's swimming pool. I don't know what happened. I was told you were talking to Cordy and you fell, I’m sorry I wasn't with you."

"Spike? Why was I talking to Cordelia?"

"I don't know. Maybe because it was her party?"

"Oh god everything is just so muddled in my head! What happened when I fell in the pool? Spike I can't swim."

Regret at all the things he should have done differently crossed his face. "I know, pet. I jumped in to get you, I got you out. Gunn and I brought you here."

"I just wish I could remember at least just a little bit of it."

"I know, but it’ll come back." Walking over to her bed, he gently hugged her and sat on the chair. He made a conscious decision not to tell her about the alcohol that was found in her system, or the fact that he knew that she was taking medication. He didn't think that it was right for him to tell her. He would just watch over her and make sure that nothing would ever cause her to ever have fits again, he would be her prince.

"Spike? Did everyone at school see?"

"I got you out the pool quickly, so probably not, it did all happen very fast."

"Everyone’s going to know about us, aren't they."

Spike wished he could soften the blow, but he knew she was worried about the gossips. "Whatever happens we will deal with it together. I’m yours, Buffy."

Holding each others hand tight they knew they would have to face a lot together at school on Monday, but at least they would face it together, smiling at each other, they finally shared their first kiss, just before Buffy's mom walked back into the room.

Yes things where going to be perfect...

TBC...