Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry again its late I have been dealing with some personal stuff.
Chapter 7: A new Buffy

On Monday morning, Spike got up slightly earlier than normal. His usual bad boy uniform was back in place. He certainly wasn’t going to let any of the nonces at school see him in the clothes he had worn that weekend. Couldn’t let anyone get the wrong idea about him and having them thinking he was soft.

When he was sure that he looked right, he went down to the kitchen to grab some breakfast before heading out for what he was sure was going to be a long day.

Faith was sat on one of the barstools at the kitchen counter. “Ready for your big day, bro?”

“Walk in the park, Faithy.” He knew she hated it when he called her Faithy, he used to torment her with it when they where kids.

“Are you sure your girl is ready then, William?” Of course she didn’t hate Faithy half as much as he hated William. He simply growled at her when she called him that. “But honestly, bro, watch it today okay?”

“What do you mean?” Sitting down next to her, he grabbed a bagel from a bowl on the table that their mother had left out for them before she had gone to work.

“All I am saying is, Its going to be a stressful day for Buffy. There is gonna be lots of whispering and talking about her, more than a girl like her will ever have experienced. I bet the whole school will have heard about what happened to the two of you on Friday night by now. And those that haven’t, will hear soon enough. There isn’t going to be anywhere she is really safe. You remember what I told you about the meds she’s taking, right?”

Spike understood everything very clearly. Here he was about to lead Buffy into a pack of wolves and it was his entirely his fault. The slightest amount of stress could lead her to have a seizure, and she was about to have the most stressful day imaginable.

“I remember. I’m going to protect her; I won’t let her get hurt, not again. If that means shielding her from peoples comments then that’s the least I can do.”

“Just be careful okay, Spike? She’s probably more fragile than you realise. I guess it depends how long she’s had these problems, to how prone she is to having these seizures. Well… I assume my darling, sweet brother isn’t going to be running me to school today if he’s taking his princess. So I guess that leaves me two options. Either skip the day.” Spike gave her a look at that one. “Which you and mom would hate. So that leaves me with option two, Grant here I come, I’m sure I have his phone number on a match box somewhere. See you at school, bro.” Grabbing a bag of crisps she left.

Spike was so immersed in his own thoughts that he barely realised she’d gone. He was going to have his work cut out for him today looking after his girl. But if he was going to stand any chance of looking after her in the long run, he was going to have to find out how long she had been taking this Clonazepam.

***

Stopping the car in front of Buffy’s, he made sure to turn his punk music down before getting out.

Walking up to the front door he checked that his hair looked okay in the glass before knocking on the door.

Joyce answered. “Ahh William, come on in, Buffy is just upstairs I am sure that she will be down shortly. Do you want to wait in the living room?”

Sitting down on the settee that almost drowned him, Spike tapped his fingers on his denim covered knee. “Do you want anything to eat or anything, have you had breakfast?”

“I’m fine, thanks, Mrs Summers.”

“Do excuse me, William, I have to continue getting ready for work, we have someone important coming into the gallery today. Buffy will be with you in a moment.” Smiling Joyce then left Spike alone in the living room.

It was a room Spike was starting to know very well. In fact after helping Buffy home on Saturday, this and the kitchen had been the only rooms that he had seen. Not that he had been expecting to be granted access into Buffy’s bedroom immediately, but he had spent all Sunday here and not even got a glimpse of her room, it was like she was trying to hide it from him.

Before he could brood on the idea any longer, Spike caught a glimpse of her from his place on the settee as she descended down the stairs, before she finally came bounding into the living room. Even if Spike had wanted to get off the settee and go and meet her at the bottom of the stairs he couldn’t he was transfixed by her beauty.

This was not the same girl from yesterday.

Stood before him was the most beautiful creature he had ever seen, she was full of energy and you wouldn’t have thought for a second that she had been laying in a hospital bed just 48 hours earlier.

She wore a short pink skirt that showed off her tanned slender legs perfectly, with a crisp white shirt with a pink sweater over the top, to complete the outfit. On her feet where a pair of pink stiletto heels that caused her to stand up straight and made her legs look even longer. Her golden hair was flowing freely round her shoulders instead of the tight bun it was usually in, and her make-up made her look like she glowed. In short she was stunning, it was certainly a change from the drab jeans, t-shirt and pumps that she usually wore.

It took Spike three attempts before he could speak. “Buffy, you look amazing.”

“Thank you. I figured if everyone’s going to be talking about us today I may as well give them something to talk about.” Giving him a dazzling smile she went and collected her bag before shouting goodbye to her mom. “Coming Spike?”

Standing up, Spike, heaved a deep sigh, Buffy had certainly just made his job of looking after her today about a hundred times harder. Holding the door open for her, together they headed for the car.

***

Spike parked his car at the far end of the high school car park. Shutting the engine off, he turned to look at the beautiful girl sat next to him, who was now chewing on her lip. “Hey cutie, you sure you’re ready for this?” Taking a strand of her hair he tucked it behind her ear.

Nodding her head, she turned to look at Spike, he looked so cute when he had that concerned look on his face. No matter what she had to go through, Buffy knew it was worth it to have Spike. She just still couldn’t believe that Spike could possibly want to be with a girl like her. “Yeah, I am. Come on, Spike, let’s get inside. Its hard for people to gossip about us if they can’t see us.”

Spike was so proud of how she was dealing with all of this; he just hoped she would be this chirpy by the end of the day. Leaning over her placed a delicate kiss on her lips. “Well come on then princess, let’s get this show on the road.”

Both getting out the car, they met at the bumper and their hands immediately became entwined. As they walked towards the looming Sunnydale High School building, Spike felt the first pair of eyes turn to stare at them. The hairs on the back of his neck started to tingle. Spike realised how stupid he was, there where thousands of kids at the school, how could he honestly hope to protect her from the harsh evil words of all these people?

He could see it in his minds eye now, someone would say something to her, or she would hear someone saying something bad about her behind her back, and then Buffy would get all upset and have one of her fits in front of everyone. Then the whole school would know and life would be so much worse for Buffy. He had to try and stop as many people seeing her as possible, at least until this all blew over. Never had the urge to act like a caveman been so strong in Spike, all he wanted to do was pick Buffy up and drag her back to his car, where he knew she would be safe.

Buffy felt Spike stiffen next to her; his hand became tighter around hers. As she turned to look at him, her smile faded.

“What’s up, Spike? Starting to regret all this?”

“No! I was just thinking, why don’t we go in through the back entrance?”

“Spike, there isn’t a back entrance.”

“Sure there is! We just have to sneak through the gym.” He gave her his best smile hoping she would buy his idea.

Instead her face just seemed to sink a little bit further. “Are you trying to hide me away? Stop people from seeing us together? I understand if you are. “

Spike understood what she was thinking and immediately regretted making her think that, but he had to try and protect her, that’s what a boyfriend was for. “No, Buffy, I just thought we could sneak into an empty classroom and make out for a bit. You are looking so hot after all.” He gave her his best leer, and raked his eyes up and down her body hoping that would do the trick.

Buffy just giggled and hit him lightly on the shoulder. “Spike, we can do that anytime. Come on we have to face the music sooner or later.”

Heaving a sigh, Spike gripped her hand that little bit tighter and pulled her to his body. “Come on then… Showtime.”

As they walked into the school building, Spike opened the doors for them both. The corridor was packed. As they stood in the door way, it suddenly went deadly silent as all eyes turned to look at the two of them.

Spikes mouth went dry and he felt Buffy’s hand start to sweat slightly. So much for shielding Buffy from people. Spike certainly had his work cut out for him.

TBC…