Author's Chapter Notes:
I can only appologise so much. I am sorry there has been a lot going on in my life recently that I have had no control over.
Chapter 8: New day at High School

As everyone turned to stare at them, Buffy suddenly started to feel very nervous. Maybe she wasn’t as ready for this as she’d thought. She should have gone along with Spike’s idea of sneaking in through the gym, at least then they could have saved this little scene until later on in the day. Plus it would have meant she’d have been able to make out with Spike.

But, then again that was the joy of hindsight. Buffy had made her bed and now was the time to lie in it. Clutching Spikes hand that little bit tighter she took a deep breath and looked at him. “Come on, Spike.”

Feeling Buffy tense next to him, Spike had immediately pulled her closer, when he heard her small voice, he knew that they had no choice but to walk through the mass of students.

As soon as they started to walk, the spell on the other people in the hallway seemed to be broken and everyone started to talk at once, and they all seemed to have the same subject in mind; Spike and Buffy.

Spike felt like he was an attraction at the zoo with everyone staring at him and talking about him, he could hear what people where saying and just hoped Buffy wasn’t listening to them.

However Buffy was. The first person that she heard made Buffy smile. It was a girl that Buffy didn’t recognise. She spoke no more than a whisper but Buffy still heard every word “That’s Buffy Summers! That’s not who I thought you meant. She’s hot! I thought Buffy was that geek in science.”

Buffy had to smile, it seemed her choice of outfit was working, it was making people doubt who she was. Excellent.

However her smile died quite quickly as she realised that not everyone was as naive as the girl near the door, others seemed to know exactly who she was. She heard numerous ‘slut’s slung her way, as well as several ‘bitch’s and lots of other horrid things that she tried to block out.

As the din of everyone talking started to get louder, Spike draped his arm across Buffy’s shoulders and practically dragged her through the crowd. Not that Buffy exactly minded, all those eyes staring at her were starting to make her feel uncomfortable.

When they were half way along the corridor they were stopped by Angel who stood in their path. Angel leaned over to whisper into Spikes ear, but it made no difference to Buffy she heard every word. As did most of the people stood in the corridor. “Spike what are you doing, man? I though this was just going to be a weekend thing, you’d screw her brains out and be done with it. Now this? Have you heard what people are saying about you?”

Spikes face grew stony, and he held Buffy even closer. “Move, mate” He pronounced the last word through gritted teeth.

“What?” Angel just stared at him, stunned.

“I said, move.” With that Angel made a grand gesture of moving out the way, Spike just barrelled past him, dragging Buffy with him.

Angels voice rang out down the hallway after them “See you two love birds at lunch then.”

Buffy was starting to regret wearing her highest heels today if Spike was going to continue walking at his fast pace all day.

They where nearly at their classroom when Buffy called after Spike. “Spike! Stop!”

Grinding to a halt, which caused Buffy to nearly run into him, Spike looked at all the students still gawking at them, before turning his attention to his girlfriend. “What?”

Buffy couldn’t help giggle at how serious he was being at trying to protect her. “Before you go all Rambo on me, I need my books from my locker so I can go to my class. As, contrary to popular opinion, some of us actually come to school so that we can learn things we didn’t know before.”

Looking over her head, Spike assessed the quickest route to her locker, and how many people would get in their way. “Okay, fine, sway girl, but lets be quick about it.” Placing a quick kiss on the tip of her nose, he then raced off in the direction of her locker, her hand once again encased in his.

When they arrived at the locker Spike knew to be hers from his months of studying her without her realising, he spun her around. He then placed one hand on the lockers on either side of Buffy’s. His body protecting her back from any assault that could be thrown her way. At the same time though, Spike didn’t want to alarm her, so he kept peppering her neck with little kisses, making her giggle from the affection.

Buffy didn’t know why Spike was acting so strangely, surely it wasn’t just over people gossiping about them, but whatever it was, it certainly had him acting very cute.

Shutting her locker door, she turned around to face Spike, “Okay, all done, I’m ready to be learn girl.”

“Sure, you got everything that you need to last the day?”

“Last the day…? Spike I am not carrying around that many books all day, I have a locker for a reason, and its not like my locker is in Siberia. We can come back at lunch.” A pained looked crossed Spikes face at the thought of going through all this again. Buffy placed her hands on his face causing him to look at her. “Hey, listen, I am not some little flower that needs to be protected in case I break. I know you’re just trying to look after me, but I can handle what people are saying about me.” Smiling she carefully took his hand down for the locker and held it in her own. “Well then, Sir, shall we go to class?”

Spike just nodded in agreement and together they walked down the hall and back to their classroom, ignoring the comment and stares they received.

***

When they reached the classroom, Spike guided Buffy to the seat at the far back corner of the room, here he knew he would be out of everyone's firing line.

Buffy however had other ideas. “Spike what are doing? This isn't my seat.” He was definitely acting strange and to be honest it was starting to piss her off just the slightest bit.

“Yeah I know that, but I just thought that today seeing as how you’re with me, we could sit here, where I usually sit, at the back.”

Buffy realised he did have a point, here she was wanting everything to be as it always was, but what she had to realise now was that she was now dating one of the coolest guys in the whole of the school, and with that came certain sacrifices. Like giving up her seat sitting at the front of the class. Nodding her head slowly, she sank down into the seat.

Soon the rest of the class started to filter in. every single one of them looked at Buffy and Spike but no one said anything outright which made Buffy feel a little better.

The rest of the morning went by uneventfully. They managed to get from one class to another without too much hassle. Buffy wasn't stupid enough to think that this meant people had stopped talking about them, she had noticed, despite his best effort to hide it, that while in class if anyone did make any move to say or do anything regarding them, Spike would growl at them and it seemed to stop them in their tracks. He really was just trying his best to protect her.

When the bell rang to signal lunch, everyone started to gather up their things and pile out the classroom in a disorderly fashion.

Buffy however, was one of the few people not in a rush to escape the escape the class and get to lunch. As she started to gather her things at a painstakingly slow pace Spike started to get agitated. “How long you going to be, pet?”

“I just need to talk to Mr Renolds for a second, do you want to wait outside for me?”

“Sure.” Placing a kiss on her forehead her then went and waited just outside the door for her.

However Buffy's second was more like 10 minutes, and by the time she finally stepped out the classroom to meet Spike the hall was practically empty with everyone already in the lunch hall. “Everything sorted?”

“Yes thank you, I just needed to talk to him about my homework.”

Smiling at her, he gently took hold of her hand. “Shall we go grab some Lunch?”

***

When the got there the lunch hall was packed as Spike had guessed it would be. Together they lined up and got their food. Standing in the middle of the food hall, they where faced with a dilemma. Over on one side of the room sat Buffy's friends, Willow, Oz, Xander, Tara and Anya, the geeky table. They all looked at Buffy with hopeful eyes, assuming that she would come sit with them just like she had done every other day. But Buffy knew that Spike would not want to sit with them and potentially ruin his image. However on the other side of the room, sat Spike's table, with the jocks and the cheerleaders, the cool table. Angel sat at the centre of the table leering at Buffy while Harmony smiled warmly at Spike, but only one seat remained free, making their meaning clear Buffy was not invited.

Buffy was about to suggest they sit with their own individual groups and meet back up again after lunch when Spike made the decision for her. Taking her hand, causing her to nearly tip her tray over, he dragged her to the only empty table, here they where in no man's land, at neither table. Looking up Buffy saw the hurt look on her best friends face and knew she would have to ring her up as soon as she got home from school.

Buffy and Spike had only been sat at the table at few moments, when suddenly with a great thud Angle sat on the seat directly opposite hers. He was soon followed by the rest of the cool gang.

“Spike, man, what are you doing all the way over here? We saved you a seat.”

“You didn't save one for my girlfriend, without her I wasn't coming. Might want to make a note for future reference, Peaches.”

Angel just stared at Spike. Threatened by the silence Cordelia decided she should do some talking. “Buffy, are you feeling better from Friday? You gave us all quite a scare.” Not even Buffy noticed the head cheerleaders sympathy was fake, as everyone at the table turned to look at her.

“Umm yeah I am fine thank you.” Suddenly wanting something to distract her self from being the centre of attention she reached out for her drink, only to realise she had left it up by the cash register. “Umm, Spike I forgot my drink I’m just going to go and get it.”

“No need, Buffy.” She looked up again in to Cordelia's smiling face. “Here take mine, I’ve had all I want anyway.” As Buffy looked at Cordelia holding out the bottle for her to take, it brought forth a sudden memory from the weekend. Feeling suddenly nauseous, Buffy excused herself and ran for the girls bathroom.

Spike watched her go with a concerned look on his face. Turning back to the table he looked at the brunette. “Cordy, do you mind going to check she’s ok?”

Huffing Cordelia got up from the table, but then made sure to give Spike a dazzling smile to make him think she wasn't really annoyed at having to go and check on the nerd. “Sure, guess I could do that.”

Walking into the toilets, Cordelia saw a very pale looking Buffy stood by the sinks. “Oh poor little Buffy, has all that popularity gone to your head. You are going to have to start acting better in public, Spike won't stand for a wuss you know. He has higher standards in his girls, not that I can see him sticking with you very long. But come on 'best friend' lets get back to the boys.” Cordelia was now stood side by side with Buffy, her two facedness on full display. She reached out for her arm and was about to drag her back to the dinner hall, when Buffy turned to look at her with an angry expression in her eyes shocking Cordelia.

“You made me a drink on Friday night didn't you? Why?”

Rattled, Cordelia looked into her eyes. “I, umm, I have no idea what you are talking about.”

“You know exactly what I am talking about, Cordelia Chase. I may not remember everything that happened to me that night, but I sure as hell know that you had something to do with me ending up in your pool, and trust me when I say I am going to get to the bottom of what happened and when I do? You can guarantee the whole school is going to find out what you did!”

Buffy then turned on her heels and left the stuttering Cordelia behind her. Anger suddenly making her feel more confident, Buffy walked out of the bathroom and back to her waiting boyfriend with her head held high.

TBC.....