Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Buffy hummed to herself as she pulled her hair back in the fancy silver clips she’d bought for her date with William that night. She was hoping her humming would chase away her nerves even as they settled in the pit of her stomach.

He’d told her to dress nice, in a dress preferably and so she’d gone shopping with a giddy Willow – at least someone was excited for her! – and bought herself a new dress. She purchased a red dress with a plunging neckline, the dress came to her knees and swished when she walked. Willow let her borrow a simple string of pearls to wrap around her neck and matching pearl earrings that were so small she had to strain to see them. On her feet she wore a pair of black stiletto’s, making her look glamorous and as Willow swore, making her feet look sexy. Buffy wasn’t sure about that, but she’d take it.

Currently, Willow was in the next room spending time with her nephew and Oz was on his way.

Dabbing perfume in all those secret spots – behind her ears, between her breasts, behind her knees, and on her wrists, Buffy twirled before the mirror and smiled, her muted red lipstick stretching across her teeth. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d worn lipstick, or dressed up in such a manner. Tonight had an entirely different feel then the night she’d gone out with Doyle.

Buffy frowned; she missed her best friend. Faith, not so much, but Doyle…she really did miss him. And if she thought that he’d understand or could find it in him to at least be somewhat supportive, she’d probably try to call.

I can’t not talk to him forever, she thought, grabbing her satin red and black purse and red shawl from the bed. I just don’t want to hurt him and I don’t want to argue. I wonder if we can agree in this case, to disagree. I guess I won’t know if I don’t try.

“So, Wills, you know the drill, right?” Buffy asked, coming into the living room and stopping dead. “Doyle. I was just thinking of you.”

He straightened upon looking at her, drinking her in, his lips pursing. “Date?”

Buffy didn’t like the tone, the hard edge she found in it, but she forced herself to act normal. “Yes, a date. What um, what brings you by?”

“It’s been almost a month, Buffy. I figured if we’re at least best friends, then best friends don’t let too much time pass before they see each other and patch things up, right?”

“Right. I was just thinking of calling you.”

“Obviously not tonight though,” he gestured at her. “Who’s the lucky man?”

“Oh, well…”

And just as though she were in a movie or book, the doorbell rang. Buffy gulped and Willow looked at the pair of them like a deer caught in the headlights.

“Excuse me,” Buffy murmured and went to the door. She was praying it was Oz on the other end, but her luck wasn’t that great. She didn’t have luck at all really.

William stood there, in a navy suit and tie, a crisp white shirt underneath, his hair tousled slightly and a big grin on his handsome face. Buffy breathed slowly through her teeth. “Hi,” she greeted him shyly, her pulse accelerating. Damn, but he was hot.

“Buffy,” he breathed, gaping at her. “You’re…pet, you look absolutely divine.”

Buffy smiled broadly and stepped back, smiling coyly at him. “Come in.”

For a brief minute she forgot about Doyle as she was unable to tear her eyes away from the hunk of man before her, and it was like a cold bucket of water on her when she was reacquainted with his presence.

“I see,” Doyle muttered, looking down.

William shifted slightly, looking uncomfortable. “Am I—did I come at a bad time?”

“No, you didn’t,” Buffy explained, thankful that he didn’t pull a jealousy act and instead had the grace to act as though he were the odd man out. “Doyle surprised me. I didn’t know he was here until I was done getting ready. And then you just arrived…” she trailed off, not sure what to do, what to say.

“William, it’s so good to see you again!” Willow chimed in, a bit too cheery, though it certainly seemed to be the knife in the sudden tension in the room.

William smiled at her, “Hello, Willow. How are you? And is that my little guy over there?” He grinned giddily and made his way over to Brandon who was gurgling and amusing himself with a rattle on his favorite Pooh blanket on the floor, trying to currently stick his whole fist in his mouth.

Buffy took Doyle’s arm, thanking William and Willow silently for that reprieve and tugged her old friend into the hallway. Wrapping her arms around herself, she bit her lip and looked up at Doyle almost apologetically.

“Doyle, I--”

“Has it been going on long?” Doyle asked, cutting her off.

Buffy shook her head. “No. This is our first date.”

He looked her up and down. “I take it it’s not a carnival.”

“This isn’t a competition,” Buffy blurted out.

“Right, cause in order for that to happen, I’d have to be a contender right? And you pretty much already decided I wasn’t one.”

“Doyle, please, I don’t want this to come between us, and you promised that it wouldn’t--”

“Yeah, I know I did. But when I did, I didn’t know it’d hurt this much.”

“Doyle, I’m sorry, please--” and she placed her hand on his arm, trying to offer him some kind of comfort.

He shrugged her off gently. “Not right now, Buffy. I gotta go before I make a scene and you have …yeah, you have…” and he shook his head and stalked off. A minute later, the door shut and Buffy felt like crying.

“Buffy?”

Looking up, Buffy found Willow standing there, concerned. “You okay?”

“I—I just feel really bad, Wills,” and she waved her hand over her face, trying to ward off the tears so as to not smudge her makeup.

Willow grabbed her flailing hand and looked at Buffy sternly. “Don’t feel bad. You can’t make yourself have feelings for him and you couldn’t have known he was going to come over unannounced. Go out with William tonight and have a good time. Forget about Doyle for right now and just focus on having the night out that you deserve. Tomorrow you can call him and work things out, okay? Don’t feel guilty, Buffy. Don’t feel guilty for not being in the same place as he was. You tried.”

“I did, I did try,” Buffy said, trying to console herself.

“And really, you shouldn’t always have to try to feel something for someone. If it’s not there, then you can’t force it, right?”

“Right,” Buffy said nodding, with more conviction.

“And you feel something for William, don’t you?”

Buffy narrowed her eyes. “That sounded like you were digging, Rosenberg.”

Willow giggled. “Maybe a skotch.”

Buffy shook her head, “You’re something else.” Then, looking at her friend solemnly, she thanked her. “You’re the only one that’s gotten how I feel about William. You’re the only one that’s supported me in that.”

Willow smiled, “I guess because I’m so damn intuitive, I can see what he does for you when he’s not being a jackass. And, as I’ve been learning, men can be jackasses often.”

Buffy laughed, “Tell me about it!”

“Come on, your Prince awaits,” Willow said ushering her out of the hallway.

Coming back into the living room, Buffy smiled when she found William on his knees on the floor, cooing at Brandon.

Willow nudged her in the ribs gently. “He’s a keeper,” she whispered.

Buffy smiled, thinking Jury’s still out. If we can get through at least one evening without major upheavals, we’ll be at least on the right track.

Noticing that Buffy was back, William pressed a kiss to Brandon’s forehead before standing and straightening himself out. “Sorry.”

Buffy shook her head. “Don’t ever be sorry for spending time with your son.”

William smiled and gave her a once over, his expression turning to one of awe. “Just gorgeous, luv,” he whispered.

“And you look quite handsome, William,” she told him, smiling flirtatiously.

“Shall we?” William asked, gesturing to the door.

“We shall,” Buffy agreed.

Saying their goodbye’s to Willow and Brandon, Buffy and William made their way out together. Once in the hallway, William spun Buffy into his arms, growling softly. “May I kiss you, kitten?”

She smiled, liking that he asked. Deciding to play her card as the woman in charge of what was allowed in regards to how far she’d allow him to go, she replied. “Yes, just one for now.”

He grinned, his eyes sparkling with mischief and he swooped in, kissing her possessively. Taking her hand, he led her to the elevator, chuckling when she started to giggle giddily.