Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




“So, pet, what was that all about with Doyle? If you don’t mind my asking,” William asked later as they drove to the Italian restaurant he’d made reservations at. He wanted this night to be perfect, wanted to show Buffy what she meant to him and treat her like the lady he though her to be. He knew she still held reservations about her lady status, but to him, she was that and more. She was an intelligent woman that put him in his place, cut through the bullshit and fought by his side without even realizing it half the time and, she was the mother of his beautiful son, and a wonderful mother at that. Coupled with the fact that she was sexy as hell and a giving lover, William knew if he was given the gift of her love, he would be a blessed man.

Now, he just had to convince her of that.

Buffy sighed and stared out the window, “Oh, well, he just popped in. Surprise visit. I haven’t talked with him in quite some time and he wanted to try and repair things.”

“That was noble of him,” William said slowly, not sure how to proceed where Doyle was concerned. He knew things had been strained between the pair for quite some time, and beyond that, he just didn’t know.

“He knows that I don’t feel the way he wants me to feel for him and even though one date might not constitute really trying, I just don’t want to keep trying.”

“I see,” William said, feeling some hope begin to dawn.

“He has been one of my best friends for a long time and I care about him a lot, but I just don’t feel that for him. And you know? I really shouldn’t be discussing this with you.”

“No, please--”

“No, I really shouldn’t. I mean with things between us and how things were and the whole thing…It’s not…what’s the word? Tactful of me.”

“It helps to figure out where I stand in all this though. Where you’re at with him and how I fit in…”

“You know where you fit in William,” Buffy muttered.

“Well, yes and no. I mean, I never knew how things were Doyle were going. Mostly because I didn’t want to ask, and I know that you had a falling out with him…You’re right, this isn’t really my business.”

“Sorry.”

“Don’t apologize. I like that you can talk to me, or at least follow the instinct to. I can see how maybe this is a touchy subject though.”

“So,” Buffy said on a sigh, signaling William that she was about to change the subject, “Where are your parents tonight?”

“They are wooing my attorney’s,” William told her, turning into their dinner destination, Il Forno’s.

“Wow,” Buffy breathed, staring out the window.

William couldn’t help but preen at her appraisal of the place. He was hoping to impress her and from the look on her face, he’d succeeded, even more so when he pulled into the valet area and ran around the car to let her out.

She slid her hand in his and looked up at him in wonder. He was surprised to find that she was blushing. He’d made her blush.

“Does mi’lady approve?” he purred, tucking her arm through his and leading her to the door.

“Yes,” she breathed. “I’ve wanted to come here…”

“I’m glad I could fulfill that wish for you,” he whispered in her ear, brushing a kiss across her temple.

“Will, this is too much--”

“Nonsense,” he shook his head, leading her into the lobby.

“William--”

“Hush,” he said softly and turned to her. “I wanted to take you out and treat you like a Princess so that’s what I’m doing. All I want you to do is relax and enjoy yourself.”

She smiled, “Okay, I can do that. Thank you.”

“Thank me later.”

A brow rose and he chuckled inwardly. “Oh?” she said suspiciously.

“Get your mind out of the gutter,” he admonished her teasingly. “You can thank me by a kiss if you feel so inclined later.”

She smiled flirtatiously. “If I feel so inclined.”

William chuckled. “I do love you girl.” And before she could reply to the negative or the positive of that comment, he led her off to the hostess. Operation Treat Buffy like a Princess was underway.

*********


“So, you started to tell me in the car about your parents wooing your attorney’s?” Buffy asked later as they sipped their Merlot and waited for their salads to arrive.

William rolled his eyes. “Yes, that. My father seems to think if he takes them out for dinner and they have a grand ol’ time that will make them magically be able to force Cecily’s attorney to sign the divorce papers.”

“It’s not a bad ploy, I see where he’s coming from,” Buffy said thoughtfully, “but I have to agree with you, I don’t see it happening.”

“Neither do I.”

“Cecily is someone that will dig in her heels until she is forced by an act of God to sign those papers. Or perhaps forced by her father’s hand.”

“You got it,” William said, “And her father is even more stubborn than she is, believe it or not.”

“Well, perhaps over their dinner, they will brainstorm an idea that will make them a little less stubborn and a little more compliable.” Raising her glass, she continued, “Here’s to scheming lawyers in our favor.”

William grinned and clinked her glass with his own, deciding to comment on the ‘our’ in her statement, even if his divorce did affect her greatly, mostly in part due to Brandon’s safety. He liked to think that her use of ‘our’ meant for them as well. It gave him hope. Besides, she had been right there by his side through most of the trial and tribulations of his separation, so he knew that she did care, she admitted to that much at least. It was just a question of how much…

“Oh my God,” Buffy whispered, staring over his shoulder across the room.

William froze. “What is it?” Was Cecily there? God, that was the last thing they needed.

“It’s Faith,” she replied on a murmur, still not looking at him.

Turning slightly, William peered across the room at the brunette he assumed was the ever popular Faith. She was on the arm of a man that was pulling a chair out for her. “That her?” William asked, “The one sitting down?”

“Yeah, and that’s not Robin.”

“That’s her boyfriend right?”

Buffy nodded slowly, staring still. “And the father of her child.”

William studied Buffy’s sudden pale and ashen expression. “Pet, maybe it’s innocent.”

“He’s kissing her hand!” she nearly exclaimed, earning some stares from tables around them. Now she blushed and ducked her head. “Sorry.”

“Do you want to go over there?”

No,” she shook her head emphatically. “Though this is perfect, just perfect. You know that bitch tried to make me feel guilty for not being able to let go of you, for still wanting you. She got all high and mighty on me, was all about me making a clean break and making changes in my life, in which she made it clear that you were not to be part of that change and look at her – what has she changed? Oh, she can talk a good game can’t she, but she has no follow through, not for long anyway!”

William stared at her. She was not only glorious in her anger, but she’d made a few comments concerning him and her feelings toward him that he wanted to get to, however, he also knew that now was not the time to focus on that and perhaps if they left to go someplace else…

“Buffy, do you want to leave?” he asked.

She shook her head. “No. I’m not leaving. I have nothing to be ashamed of. She does. As far as I’m concerned William Giles, you and I might just be the only normal people left on this planet, and considering all we’ve been through, that’s saying a lot!”

William smiled slowly, broadly. “Wow. Never have I wanted to kiss you more than I do right now.”

Buffy giggled. “Well, you just might get your wish.” Taking a sip of her wine, she grinned and winked. “Later.”