--

Dawn fiddled with a fork and stared glumly at her empty plate. Willow checked the window for the umpteenth time and April was standing at the stove, making pancakes. She turned around to face Willow, who still had her face pressed against the glass.

"For golly's sake, Willow, even if Buffy was coming, being a vampire she would not walk home in broad daylight."

Dawn looked up and Willow looked over her shoulder at the robot, who had a hand on her hip and a spatula in the other.

"Sorry. I know," Willow sighed and let go of the thick blinds in favour of sitting next to Dawn at the table.

"You don't have to apologize. We're all worried about Buffy." April then turned back to the pancakes.

"Think she's okay?" Dawn questioned as April set a short stack in front of her.

Willow patted the younger girl's hand. "I'm sure she's fine Dawnie. She's...just been monster wrestling all night and the sunrise probably took her by surprise and she just got stuck somewhere and is waiting for nightfall."

Dawn nodded, Willow's confidence spreading to her. She picked up her fork and began to nibble on her pancakes.


--= =-- --= =-- --= =--


One would assume that a vicious battle to-the-death had occurred recently. Magazines and books were scattered across the floor; a desk had been toppled along with numerous lamps--some of them now housed broken bulbs; the only piece of furniture still in its original place and seemingly untouched was the neatly made bed.

Spike had never sought out or given any thought at all to his feelings concerning Oriental carpets, but when he came across a man and a woman unloading a late-night delivery of them several weeks ago, he refused to let such an opportunity pass. When Buffy finally woke up, the first thing she noticed was the brightly patterned Oriental rug she was lying under. Not to mention the two that had cushioned her as she slept.

Lying on her side, she frowned at the unfamiliar pattern. She began to shift when Spike kissed her bare shoulder. Buffy closed her eyes for a second, relishing in the feel of his lips on her skin, then turned to face him. Her arms came up and grabbed his head, pulling him toward her and kissing him passionately. He moaned and his arm snaked around her waist. She rolled him over, putting her on top.

Their tongues retreated after a minute and he pulled himself up to a semi-sitting position, leaning against another carpet--this one rolled up--which served as a makeshift pillow throughout the night.

Pulling back and opening her eyes, Buffy registered the bruises and hickeys she had left on his face and neck. She ran her hands down his chest, lightly tracing the fingernail marks and scratches (plus another hickey) as memories from the night before swam in front of her eyes.

-flashback-

Amidst a burningly passionate kiss, Buffy almost viciously wound her arm around Spike's neck. She groaned as he pushed her roughly up against the wall of the underground room of his crypt, his hands on her shoulders keeping her pinned.

Panting, she shoved him away and followed him as he stumbled backwards across the room. When she got closer to him she repeated the action, pushing him again and following promptly. The instant after Spike felt his back slam against the opposite wall, his mate's lips locked back onto his with him responding in full. He lifted her up against him without hesitation and her legs curled around his waist in a vice.

Buffy reached her hand down between their grinding bodies to do away with the barrier his zipper posed. Her barriers had already been removed; she had conveniently forgotten to wear underwear and her leather skirt had ridden up to just below her hips, allowing both vampires to press intimately together. Buffy gasped and her eyes closed.

She lifted herself up and in one thrust of her body against Spike's he was buried to the hilt inside of her. Breathing unnecessarily, they stared at each other in awe for a moment, revelling in the way it felt to be back in the embrace of one another after a long period of despairing abstinence. Then Buffy began to move up and down slowly; her eyes remained locked on his until her face melted into an unabashed expression of pleasure and her eyes closed.

Her fingers scrabbled in the leather around him then curved into his hair, gasping all the while. Returning to their fervent kiss, Spike then turned them around and pushed her up against the wall she had cornered him against. She reached up a desperate arm, grabbing the wall behind her to steady herself, as they continued to writhe against each other.

Buffy threw her head back against the wall, panting; Spike rested his head on her chest. When she rocked her hips forward, wrapping her arms around him, he lost his balance and they both fell backwards, still connected in the throes of passion.

He landed on his back with his girl on top of him, her hands grounding on either side of his head. They stared into each other's eyes, both breathing heavily; the presence of the other caused them to forget that their lungs were lifeless.

His hands slid up underneath her own and she contentedly interlocked their fingers. She groaned as he began to rock against her again, her hand clutching his convulsively, her nails pinching into his skin as though he was her lifeline and another reassuring chain link was added every time either orgasmed.


--= =-- --= =-- --= =--


Willow fidgeted and then went to check the window again. April watched her and rolled her eyes.

Dawn pushed her empty plate away and went over to the fridge for the carton of orange juice.

"Um, should we call Xander? What if they're all in a ditch somewhere?" She proposed as she closed the refrigerator. "Ditches are bad. Mom always used to talk about the ditches."

Dawn took a glass and poured the juice. April carried the pancake batter bowl to the sink and added some water. Willow looked over to Dawn.

"Nobody's in a ditch. We'll call, but...we'll give them some time before we wake them up."

Dawn's eyes swivelled to the clock on the microwave which read 9:50.

"I'll bet they're up. Please can we call them?"

Willow sighed. "Yeah. Alright Dawnie. Go for it."


--= =-- --= =-- --= =--


From her position straddling Spike, Buffy sank forward to rest her head in the crook of his neck, closing her eyes as she did so. Spike ran his arms around her and let his own eyes lazily slide shut. They rested in a thoughtless, drowsy trance until Spike recognized something surprising and his eyes shot open. He pulled back to look at Buffy who returned his gaze blearily.

"Luv, are you purring?" He asked bemusedly.

She frowned for a moment as the sound still softly emanated from her chest, which was pressed intimately against his.

"I am..." She said, as much a statement as a question. She felt the vibrations radiating from her suddenly cease but there was still a rumble emitting from between their bodies.

She grinned up at him. "So are you."

She nuzzled her cheek against his chest and tightened her arms around his waist and sure enough the purring got deeper. He smiled as he felt her own hum resurface, joining his as his arms tightened around her.

"God," Buffy said softly after a minute, sitting up, her eyes drifting open. "We left Dawn all night. She'll be worried sick," she reluctantly reminded him.

"Mm-hmm," Spike said distractedly, not taking in a word Buffy just said.

Spike shifted her so that he was holding her with one arm. His other hand trailed lazily, naughtily down her side. His eyes opened when Buffy pushed his hand away. /Baby wants to play./ He grabbed her wrist and she struggled against him.

"Stop!" She said tetchily.

"Make me," Spike said, grinning.

"No. No!" She said strongly although she could already feel her body responding to his.

She continued struggling for about another half second, then latched a hand on either side of his face and pulled him toward her for a kiss. She put her arms around his neck and moaned. They kissed for a moment before the part of Buffy's brain that could still think pulled her back.

"No, no, I-I have to--"

"Stay. We're stuck here." He looked upward to indicate his point. "Sun's up."

That was all it took. Buffy looked at him for a brief moment, then she sank like liquid back into his kiss. Their moans mingled as Spike turned her around and lay her down, lying on top of her. He broke their kiss to move down to lavish her exposed neck with his mouth. Buffy gasped, threw her head back, and moaned again.


--= =-- --= =-- --= =--


Meanwhile, Dawn slammed the phone down in frustration.

"Tara hasn't seen her either. Dammit!"

Willow sighed and April looked up from page 316 of “Great Expectations”.

"Calm down," she said as she turned the page. "Lamenting obscenities will not affect Buffy's state of absence."

Dawn turned around furiously; she was about to blow a gasket at the robot.

"April," Willow said suddenly. "Besides telling Dawn and I off, can you figure out any other possibilities of where Buffy could be?"

"Yes Willow," April said cheerily as she lowered the book.

Willow and Dawn watched as April tilted her head slightly and began to prattle off a list of prospects in the manner of a bored secretary. "Buffy is not at Xander and Anya's, nor the Magic Box, nor Tara's. Perhaps she has been kidnapped by demons, humans, or an unknown enemy; or is hiding, in shelter from the sun alas without phone access; or has been staked; or maybe she has fled from Sunnydale in hopes of obtaining a more favourable future; or perhaps she is with Spike."

Two sets of eyes widened at the mention of Spike, and Dawn and Willow looked at each other.

"Would she have?"


--= =-- --= =-- --= =--


Hours later, as Buffy lay sleeping in the bliss of her sire's arms, Spike was still awake, staring at her shoulder, thinking about what would come next.

He snuggled into her as his thoughts ran a mile a minute. Well now that he had the girl, really had the girl, he had better take care of her. No more trying to pull her to darkness or away from her friends and Watcher. Not much anyway, Spike decided.

She unconsciously began purring softly into him.

Then suddenly, it hit Spike: he was in it for the long run. Even after he had sired Buffy, he had still, in the back of his mind, considered his position on the good team temporary but now with this golden, purring girl in his arms...he knew exactly what to look forward to for the rest of his unlife. He smiled a smile of pure joy into his lover's shoulder.