Author's Chapter Notes:
Hopefully it will be clear about what is going on...but bear with me because it may get a bit confusing.

TY to Brat for the Rileyism.
She couldn’t stop her hands from shaking.

*What if something went wrong…what if he’s still back there?*

“He can’t be…get a grip Buffy, if he got left behind, then he’s in this time now as well.” She struggled to her feet trying to calm her speeding heart.

*Everything’s ok…maybe he just ended up in a different place…*

“Spike?” She started circling the graveyard calling for him. “Spike?” There was no answer.

***

Spike opened his eyes and groaned.

*Bloody magic if it doesn’t cause a raging apocalypse you can count on it for a bleedin’ headache*

“Slayer?” He glanced around; Buffy was nowhere to be found. “Oh I see, running away again eh? Women.” He got to his feet and scrunched his face up in thought. Something just didn’t feel right.

He made his way to his crypt and shoved the door open, it was pitch black. “Buffy?” He stepped down into the darkness, pulling out his Zippo he flick it open.

The crypt was empty, the same as it had been when they had been shot back originally.

“Bloody hell.”

***

Buffy gazed around Spike’s crypt; all his things were here the TV, the chair, the fridge. It was messy, and lived in. She sighed, she was home at least. Now she just had to find Spike.

She ran all the way to Giles’ apartment. Giles would know what to do; he had the first time around. Knocking on the door he opened it with a look of surprise.

“Buffy, finished already? I take it you got the information you needed?”

She gave him a puzzled look as she walked past him into the room.

“Sorry Giles, not with you.”

“Spike…”

“OH! So you’ve seen him then?” She sighed mentally; at least he was here, in this time.

Giles gave her and odd look. “No Buffy, I thought you went to go find him, to get the information about the other Slayers.”

Buffy froze.

*It couldn’t be, not again*

“You mean…”

“Buffy did you hit your head? Or are you still feeling unwell from the incident earlier?”

She walked to the couch and sank down. “I went to find Spike to find out how he killed the other Slayers.”

“And…?”

She put her face in her hands and groaned; she looked back up at Giles tiredly. “Giles, we need to have a talk.”

***

He was out of cigarettes; he cursed and tossed the empty pack to the street. He was approaching the Magic Box when he caught her scent.

*I hope it’s my Slayer and not another junior-Buffy*

She was standing near the Magic Box staring into a store; he almost stumbled when he saw someone approach her. It was a guy, a big guy, it was…

“Oh BLOODY HELL.” Spike stopped and narrowed his eyes.

Riley.

*I am going to beat his arse into next year*

He could barely hear their conversation, but he wanted to vomit watching Riley give Buffy those puppy dog eyes.

*Him and the poof should compare notes*

He clenched his fists and had to restrain himself when he saw Buffy lay a hand on Riley’s arm.

*Wanker*

Riley said something to Buffy, and started backing away. He threw his hands in the air and turned and left Buffy staring after him.

Spike took it as his cue and sauntered down the street.

“What did the Enormous Hall Monitor want? Checking your hall pass?”

Buffy turned and her face lit up.

“Spike! What are you doing here?” She threw herself at him and he caught her dumbfounded.

“Looking for you pet.”

“Oh Spike…” Buffy pressed her lips against his and slid her tongue into his mouth. Spike ignored the voice in the back of his head telling him something was off and kissed her back. She tasted like vanilla and cinnamon.

Her hands were all over him, and he felt himself grow hard. Buffy nipped at his nose and slid out of his arms turning back to the store window.

“Look, Spike…isn’t it beautiful?”

He turned to the store window.

“I think its perfect don’t you? Although, I guess it isn’t appropriate now that you’ve seen it.”

He ran his hand through his hair and sighed. “Shoulda guessed this is where I would get sent.”

He stared at the wedding dress.

*Don’t complain you wanker, at least she isn’t trying to kill you*

***

Giles hadn’t said anything. He had listened to her whole spiel without uttering a word or changing his facial expression.

“So it didn’t work?”

“What?” Buffy stared at him.

“The spell, we did 2 years ago, it sent you here.” He took of his glasses and rubbed his eyes. “Buffy, I remember everything.”

Her eyes widened. “Wait, I thought you were going to erase our existence…Giles…what happened?”

“You were erased, but not from my memory. I was afraid something might go wrong, something like this. So I kept my memories, just in case.”

“And Willow?”

“Willow remembers nothing; she will be able to do the spell again, I wrote everything down. Not that it makes a bloody difference, obviously it wasn’t successful.”

Buffy sighed. “What do we do now?”

Giles looked up sharply. “Where’s Spike?”

“I don’t know, he wasn’t with me when I woke up in the cemetery.”

“Could he have just left you there?”

Buffy shook her head. “No, he wouldn’t do that. He…he said some things before the time thingy that I believe. He wouldn’t leave me again.”

“It’s still odd hearing you to refer to Spike in that manner.”

Buffy smiled. “Like I said a few years ago, you better get use to it.”

Giles stood, and walked toward the phone. “I’m going to give Willow a call, and get things moving. You should go look for Spike.”

She nodded and headed for the door. “I’ll find him Giles, I have to.”

***

She had played it totally calm with Giles, but inside she was a mess. She firmly believed what Spike had said about not leaving her again, and because she did she knew he wasn’t here, at least in this time.

She was trying not to think about where he could be, or how they were going to get him back. The only thing she could hope for was that he was in their time, and she was the one stuck in the past. But nothing was certain.

She weaved in and out of side streets. She felt random tinglies on the back of her neck, but none of them were Spike. She didn’t have the energy to patrol, it wasn’t her responsibility here, and God it felt good.

She made her way down the alley where The Bronze was. She could hear the music blaring as she got closer. She frowned, there was shouting at the end of the alley, and she could see the outlines of two people scuffling.

She picked up her pace and approached the two figures with a look of grim determination on her face. Then she heard it, heard him.

“…you have is you've got ties to the world... your mum, your brat kid sister, the Scoobies. They all tie you here but you're just putting off the inevitable. Sooner or later, you're gonna want it. And the second- the second- that happens you know I'll be there. I'll slip in... have myself a real good day.”

*Oh no*

“Here endeth the lesson. I just wonder if you'll like it as much as she did.”

“Get out of my sight. Now.”

“Oh... did I scare ya? You're the Slayer. Do something about it. Hit me. Come on. One good swing. You know you want to.”


Buffy cringed and slid back against the wall and into the shadows. She couldn’t be seen, she should leave, but for some reason she couldn’t force herself to go.

She watched Spike lean in to kiss the other her, and she closed her eyes.

*You were such an idiot*

“What the hell are you doing?”

“Come on. I can feel it, Slayer. You know you want to dance.”

“Say it's true. Say I do want to.” She watched herself shove Spike away, and he landed on the ground staring up at her expectantly. “It wouldn't be you, Spike. It would never be you. You're beneath me.”

The other Buffy stalked away, right towards her. She sank further back into the shadows as she passed. Buffy let her gaze wander back to Spike.

Something inside her broke and she couldn’t stop the tears from slipping from her eyes. Spike was clutching the crumpled bills in his hand and he was…crying. He looked so hurt, and broken. She had done this to him, made him vulnerable.

No wonder he had left her, after everything she had said and done to him. She choked back a sob as she recalled the rest of the night. He had come to her, and comforted her while she cried about her mother, after everything she had said. Buffy couldn’t bear to watch any longer and took off sprinting down the alley away from him.

A/N: Dialogue taken from Season 5 "Fool for Love" courtesy of http://www.buffyworld.com