The tension in the house was at its peak.

The last night.

The battle of their lives loomed with the rising of the sun. Hours remained, and soon it would be resolved, on way or another. It was the time that bore the sharpest wounds. Her eyes flicked to the clock again, and the second hand ticked forward at twice the speed as normal. Would this be the last night, for all of them?

She wished she held the arrogance to truly believe that they would conquer. Her heart trembled; they would not all survive, or none of them would. She had accepted within the last few days that this would be her final battle. She was going to give the Hellmouth her all; sacrifice herself if need be, for the rest to survive.

Her heart and her mind were weary, and her body wracked with fatigue. She was tired of the fight; too many years in a world of never-ending battles, and pointless feuds. This was the end in one form or another.

Spike lingered in the back of her mind, standing out amongst the battle plans and worry. He had accepted her admission without comment; she knew what he thought. It was her way of relieving her guilt, and saying goodbye. The sorrow in the pit of her stomach left her feeling sick; she didn’t know if he would ever truly believe her.

Ever…

Not very long from this moment.

“So here's the part where you make a choice: What if you could have that power...now? In every generation, one slayer is born... because a bunch of men who died thousands of years ago made up that rule. They were powerful men. This woman is more powerful than all of them combined. So I say we change the rule. I say my power should be our power. Tomorrow, Willow will use the essence of the scythe to change our destiny.”

She clenched her fingers in the pocket of the jacket around the empty space where the amulet had been. Her gaze was steady as she made eye contact with Giles from across the room. He began to speak, picking up where she had left off, and her thoughts drifted away.

“Someone ensouled, but stronger than human.”

Spike.


The fact that Angel had been prepared to walk into the battle with his hanging around his neck gave her chills. His mission all along had been about saving the world; he was all about the heroics. He had been ready to jump into the Hellmouth, and never come back.

It was meant for Spike. She knew in her heart it was he who deserved to wear it.

Champion.

She didn’t dare to form the words, what the amulet was, what it meant, but it lingered in the back of her mind.

Death

It just wasn’t fair. This was to be his redemption? How do you bless someone through death, who is already dead?

He’d accepted the amulet with awe and shock. It wasn’t the trinket; it was her confidence that he was the worthy bearer.

Champion

Giles’ voice was a distant murmur as he dismissed the group. Some paired off, and others stayed huddled together savoring the human contact.

Life

He wasn’t there. One quick smile and he’d dismissed her to the last Scoobie meeting. He was recognizing this as her time. Letting her choose how to dwell out her last few hours of peace.

She stood, gathering her courage, and smiled brightly at the few remaining girls in the living room. Nodding briefly at Giles she made her way to the basement door. There were no lights, and she winced at the irony.

”You belong in the dark, with me.”

He sat with his back against the wall, the amulet dangling from his fingertips. His gaze snapped up to meet hers, and he stood and crossed the room to meet her. She glanced slowly down at the metal chain hanging from his fingertips.

He slid the amulet smoothly into his pocket. Discarding it, with all thoughts of what it meant.

“Y’ should be up socializing luv; nothing to do down here in the dark.”

“You’re here.” The corner of his mouth lifted in a smirk, and he tilted his head to the side studying her.

“Well you know us vampires; kinda have a thing for dark and depressing places.”

“Do you want me to leave?” she feigned a step backwards and grinned at the stricken look on his face.

“Never.”

She stepped forward, and raised a hand laying it softly against his cold cheek. He never broke eye contact, but his head leaned into the palm of her hand.

“Thank you.”

He looked at her quizzically, his blue eyes curious. “For what pet?”

She pulled her hand back gently, and tucked a stray strand of her behind her ear. “For staying.”

They stood awkwardly; Spike began to fidget, shuffling his feet, and Buffy yawned. His hand shot out and grabbed her arm softly. “You should sleep; big day tomorrow and all.”

She nodded, and began to move toward the cot. She paused when she realized he wasn’t following her. “Aren’t you coming?”

He gazed at her; his heart in his eyes, and she could feel the tears prick her eyes. “Are you sure this is how you want to spend this night?”

She hesitated, and she watched the hurt flicker through his eyes.

She smiled.

“There isn’t anywhere else I would rather be.”

***

She felt them before she heard the creak of the stair. Spike’s body stilled, and became tense against her back. His grip on her arm tightened, and she opened her eyes.

They were there.

Standing on the steps, staring open mouthed at her and Spike.

It was them.

Her dreams came back to her in a flood of memories. The time travel, the ‘I love you’s’, seeing themselves lying on the cot, as they were, right now.

“Oh…” she whispered it softly, and she knew the moment Spike realized just what they were seeing.

The stair creaked again, and Buffy rolled from the cot at the same moment Spike catapulted to his feet. She stared at him.

It had been real.

They weren’t dreams.

“Spike…”

“It wasn’t a bloody dream…” his voice was raw with emotion, and she watched the conflicting emotions play upon his face.

Then he threw back his head and laughed, the loud sound of his joy echoing throughout the dim basement. Buffy let out a whimper, and didn’t hold back. She launched herself at Spike, and into his waiting arms.

His lips slammed down upon hers, and her feet left the floor. He held her tight, and she squeezed her eyes shut as she poured out her love for him. Her mouth worked against his, tongues sliding together.

I love you.

I really do love you.

Buffy loves Spike.

Never a dream.

They broke apart, and Buffy turned, and watched as they made their way down the stairs into the room.

She watched Spike, and the other her stand together awkwardly. They looked so very confused, and she wanted to laugh.

Not a dream.