Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 11

Spike was broken out of his thoughts and pulled away from Buffy. He looked deep into her eyes when realization hit him.

“It was you,” he claimed.

She raised her eyebrows in confusion. “What was me?”

“You were the woman at the Bronze a few years ago. I saw you sitting with a red head that must have been Willow. She was turned away from me then, so I couldn’t make out her face.”

Buffy was even more confused now. “I came back to town once for business. Willow was the only one that knew about it. I was frustrated with my job and she suggested that we go to the Bronze to blow off some steam. How did you know about that?”

Spike stood up and pulled Buffy with him. He didn’t want to wake the baby and closed the door to the nursery. He grabbed Buffy’s hand again and pulled her all the way to his room, letting her go once they were inside.

“Okay, what was that about?” she wondered.

He turned to look at her. “I was at the Bronze that night. I saw a woman that I wanted to talk to, but she left before I got the chance. I couldn’t sleep all night because I was too busy thinking about that same woman. It was you, Buffy. I thought it was Elizabeth this whole time, but it was you.”

Buffy gasped at what he said, then started to remember more of that night. “I think I saw you, too. I was talking with Willow and I looked over to the bar and saw a man with bleached hair, but I couldn’t see his face. I don’t know why I never thought about it when I first arrived here. I guess I just forgot a lot about the last time I was here. I also might have had too much to drink that night.”

Spike laughed and wrapped his arms around her. “I can’t believe it was you. Just think of what could have happened if I did manage to talk to you. I met Elizabeth the day after that. I just assumed she was the woman that I saw.”

“Hardly, Lizzie hated the Bronze. She would have never been caught dead there. That’s why I went there in the first place. I knew there was no chance I would have been spotted.”

He pressed a kiss to her lips. “Oh, you were spotted. No woman has ever had an effect on me like that before, and all I did was take one look at you.”

Buffy thought about it. “Yeah, it’s just a shame that I left a day later. No regrets, right? Meeting Elizabeth brought a beautiful, little girl into your life. You might not have had that if you met me first. I didn’t even know if I wanted kids then, or a real relationship. I didn’t date much after everything with Riley.”

Spike tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “Do you believe in fate?”

She shrugged. “I don’t know. I never used to believe in it. I always figured the whole thing was stupid.”

He touched his forehead to hers. “I think it’s time that you started believing in it.”


* * * * *


“Hey, pretty girl. Don’t you look lovely today?” Buffy said as she picked the child up and twirled her around, delighted in the sound of her giggles.

It was Emma’s first birthday and she was wearing a cute, pink dress.

Buffy just bought the dress for her a week ago as an early birthday present. “You are just the cutest baby ever. How old are you, sweetie? Do you know how old you are today?” She wasn’t expecting an answer, but figured it was worth a try. Emma hasn’t spoken a word yet and they were worried about it at first, but the doctor assured them that it was normal. That a lot of babies start speaking at all different ages. It was best for them to be patient and let it come naturally.

Spike smiled when he entered the nursery. “There’s the birthday girl.”

Buffy handed him the baby and watched as he gave her a big kiss on the cheek.

“There’s my other girl,” he said to Buffy and placed a kiss on her lips.

“We better get downstairs before Xander eats all of the food.”

Spike laughed and then remembered the real reason for wanting to see Buffy. “Thought I should warn you, love. Your parents are here.”

She was surprised to hear that. “They actually came?”

He nodded. “Yeah, I didn’t think they would either, but Emma is their granddaughter.”

“Okay, I can handle this. I knew it was bound to happen. I faced them before, I can do it again.”

Spike smiled. “That’s my girl.”

Buffy took a deep breath and followed him down the stairs. She forced a smile on her face when she saw her parents in the living room.

Hank smiled as well when he noticed her. “How’ve you been, princess?” he wondered, giving her a hug.

Buffy returned the embrace. “I’ve been good, Daddy. I’m glad you both could make it.” She glanced at her mother, who seemed to be avoiding her gaze.

“We wouldn’t have missed it. Emma has gotten so big.”

Buffy agreed and was just glad that talking to her father wasn’t so awkward. Her mother would be another story.


* * * * *


Everyone left a few hours later.

Hank gave his daughter another hug. “It was great to see you again, sweetheart. I can tell you’re doing well here.”

Buffy nodded when he pulled away. “I really love it here. You guys can feel free to stop by whenever you want. I know Emma would love to see you.”

“We would love to see more of her, and you. Don’t be a stranger, okay?”

Buffy didn’t know what to say to that, when her mother finally made her presence known at the doorway.

“Hank, we need to go. You have an early day tomorrow.”

He nodded and after placing a kiss on Buffy’s cheek, walked out of the house.

Joyce stared at her daughter once he was gone. She then moved closer and gave her a hug.

Buffy was shocked, but found herself returning the gesture.

Joyce pulled away and smiled. “You’re so grown up. I don’t know why it took me this long to realize it. I see what you’re doing here, Buffy. Not only are you helping with Emma, but you’re also helping with William. I’m very proud of you.”

Buffy felt tears in her eyes. She never would have expected to hear that from her mother. “Thank you, that means a lot. I want to make things right with us, Mom. I hate not being able to talk to you and Daddy.”

Joyce agreed and ran her fingers through Buffy’s hair. “Our door is always open.”

She wiped her eyes. “I’ll keep that in mind. I’m really glad that you guys came today.”

“I’m glad that we did, too. I’ll let you get back to William now. Take care, sweetie.”

Buffy watched as her mother walked away, then closed the door. She turned around to see Spike standing there, with Emma almost falling asleep in his arms.

“She had a long day.”

Buffy smiled and took the baby from him. “I’ll put her to bed.”

Spike nodded and followed her upstairs. He loved to watch Buffy care for his daughter.

She placed Emma in her crib and watched over the child, who was looking up at her with such trusting eyes.

Spike suddenly stopped when he heard something that made his heart swell.

Buffy had the same reaction.

“Mama,” the little girl said.

Buffy looked at Spike, with new tears in her eyes.

He wrapped his arms around her and let her cry against his chest, knowing that they were partly happy tears.

Buffy was still guilty for being a surrogate mother to Emma, when her sister wasn’t there to enjoy it. Having Emma say that word made it official. She saw Buffy as her mother and nothing was likely to change that. Since Elizabeth wasn’t around to enjoy motherhood, Buffy decided that she would do the best job she could. Spike and Emma were her family now and they meant everything to her. She would never disappoint them.