Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 16

“So, how is it dealing with a very hormonal Buffy?”

Spike rubbed his tired eyes and addressed his friend. “I haven’t slept in what feels like years. I have never known a woman to have so many cravings before. Her attitude seems to change every few seconds. She’s all sweet one moment, then bites my head off the next. Don’t get me wrong. I love her, but I’m tempted to strangle her.”

Xander laughed. “It can’t be that bad. She’s almost nine months pregnant, it should be easier when the babies are born.”

Spike raised his eyebrows. “You’ve never had kids, have you?”

Xander shook his head. “Could you really picture me as a father? It’s not something that will be happening anytime soon.”

“Spike, get your ass up here now!”

He cringed at the sound of his girlfriend’s voice coming from their bedroom, glaring at Xander when he started to laugh again. “I’m coming, sweetheart!” he yelled to her, then turned to his friend. “If I’m not back in five minutes, there’s a chance I didn’t make it.”

Xander rolled his eyes. “I’m sure you’re being dramatic for nothing.”

“Yeah, we’ll see,” Spike said, then took a deep breath and headed up the stairs. He pasted a smile on his face once he got to their room. “You rang?”

She scowled at him. “Do you have to walk so loud? If there were people living under us, they would probably be complaining right now.”

“Well, it’s a good thing we’re in a house then. Was there something I could help you with?”

Buffy grabbed the empty glass that was next to the bed. “I need more ginger ale.”

He nodded and took the cup from her, but she wasn’t finished.

“Oh, don’t forget the peanut butter this time.”

Spike let out a sigh. “Yes, dear,” he said, then mumbled to himself. “Elizabeth was never this difficult.”

“What did you say?”

He shut his eyes and opened them to notice the pissed off expression on Buffy’s face. “Uh, I said you were beautiful?”

She stood up and waddled over to him. “No, that’s not what you said. I’m sorry that me being pregnant is such an inconvenience for you. You don’t know how I’m feeling right now and I’m sorry that I’m not perfect like my sister. She probably didn’t have any weird cravings or complained about anything, did she? What am I saying? Of course she didn’t.”

“Love, you know I didn’t mean anything by it.” He felt like an even bigger ponce when he noticed the tears in her eyes.

“I really hate you right now,” she said, turning away from him.

Spike moved closer to her. “I know you don’t mean that, baby.”

Buffy pulled away and grabbed his pillow off of the bed, throwing it at his chest. “You can sleep on the couch tonight, or your office. I really don’t care at this point.”

He was about to reply, but she held up a hand to stop him.

“I want to be left alone.”

Spike sighed and left the room, knowing that it would be best to do as she said when she got like that. He made his way back to the kitchen to join his friend.

Xander looked up from the paper he was reading to see Spike holding a pillow. “I guess it didn’t go well.”

Spike shook his head. “I’m on the couch again. I can’t wait until this bloody pregnancy is over. I want those babies out of her now.”

“Come on, isn’t pregnancy such a beautiful thing?”

Spike threw the pillow at his head. “Stuff it, Harris.”

“God, do you have to breathe so loud? I can hear you all the way up here, and I want my damn ginger ale!” Buffy yelled down to them, then slammed the bedroom door.

Spike clenched his fists at his side. “It’s wrong to hit a woman, right? I’m very close to losing it here.”

Xander laughed. “Who are you kidding, Spike? You would never hit her.”

“No, but I might do something just as bad.” He groaned when he heard the baby crying. “Great, she woke Emma up. I just can’t get a break.”

Xander agreed. “Just think, soon you’ll have two more to take care of. I wish you luck with that.”

Spike was not amused. “You can feel free to leave now.”

Xander held his hands up. “Okay, I’m already gone,” he said, then left out the back door.

Spike took in a deep breath and headed back up the stairs. He made his way into the nursery and went right to the crib to pick up the screaming child. The nursery was huge and it was already set up for the two new additions to the family when they arrived. “Daddy’s here now, princess. No need to cry,” he said soothingly, rubbing her back in the process. He then left the room and headed over to his to check on Buffy.

She got up the second Spike walked in with Emma. “Here, let me take her.”

Spike handed the baby over to Buffy.

She took the child and started to sing to her softly.

Spike was amazed when she suddenly stopped crying.

Buffy looked up at him. “My mom used to sing us a lullaby when we were little to try to get us to sleep. I figured I would try it on Emma. She seems to like it.”

Spike sighed in relief. “That’s perfectly understandable. You do have a lovely voice.”

Buffy raised her eyebrows. “Oh, flattery will get you nowhere right now, mister. You’re still sleeping on the couch.”

He shrugged. “Well, it was worth a try.”

Buffy gave him a small smile, which quickly faded once she felt something. Her eyes bulged when she realized what it was. “Spike, take the baby.”

Spike was confused, but did as she said. “Are you okay?” he asked once he took Emma from her.

“Not so much, my water just broke.”

His eyes widened. “Are you sure?”

“Pretty sure, do you not see the puddle that I just made on the floor?”

Spike looked down and noticed that she was right. He nodded and took her hand. “Okay, let’s get you downstairs. I’ll call Willow to come and watch Emma, then I’ll take you to the hospital. Do you think you can manage until she gets here?”

Buffy nodded and took deep breaths. “I think I can, just make it fast.”

Spike headed into the kitchen to do just that.

Willow arrived at the house in about fifteen minutes after getting the call. She took Emma from Spike and wished them luck as he ushered Buffy out of the house and over to his car.

Spike helped her get in on her side, then made his way over to the other side. He looked at Buffy to notice that she was breathing hard. “Just keep taking deep breaths, love. I’ll get us there as fast as I can.”

Buffy nodded and continued with her breathing exercises.

Spike started the car and took off to the hospital, praying that this labor would go well.