Author's Chapter Notes:
At the bottom.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 23

“Come on, love. You’re really not being fair.”

Buffy glared at him. “How is holding out on sex not being fair? We talked about this. It’s not happening again, until you have a talk with your father. You can’t keep avoiding him. I want you guys to work things out.”

Spike groaned. “It’s been two bloody weeks. Do you know how much you’re torturing me right now?”

She crossed her arms over her chest. “Well, you know what to do to change that. I think this break could actually be good for us. It will prove that our relationship isn’t based on a lot of sex.”

Spike’s expression softened. “You know our relationship is more than that.”

Buffy nodded. “Yeah, I know. So, this shouldn’t be such a problem for you. Just go and talk to your father, Spike. I spent eight years of my life away from my dad. I don’t want the same thing to happen to you.”

He agreed and pressed his lips to her forehead. “You’re right; it’s stupid to avoid him over this. I’ll go over and talk to him tonight, okay?”

Buffy smiled. “That’s all I ask.”


* * * * *


“I’m glad that you decided to stop by, William.”

Spike nodded and sat down on the couch in his father’s living room. “Buffy managed to convince me. I hate that we’re not talking right now. We used to have a good relationship. I don’t know what happened.”

Jacob thought it over. “I do, you weren’t so fond of coming around here after your mother passed. I know you blame me for not being there for her. I loved your mother very dearly, son. Her illness took us all by surprise, but it was too painful for me to be here. I couldn’t stand seeing her so sick when she was usually so full of life. It broke my heart.”

Spike felt tears in his eyes at the mention of his mother, but tried not to let them show. “You could have stayed with her during her last days, but you didn’t. You were too busy going out every night doing God knows what. She needed you more than anything and you weren’t around. I was with her when she took her last breath, so was Tara. You should have been there, too.”

“I know I should have. I’ve been regretting that every day, William. A part of me died with your mother, but I’m finally starting to feel something again. I haven’t been this happy in years. I just wish that you could be happy for me.”

Spike stood up and started to pace angrily. “Why her, Dad? You couldn’t find anyone else closer to your age? She’s younger than your own children; you had to have known that we would be upset about this.”

Jacob took a deep breath. “I guess I was hoping that you could look past the age difference. She’s a good woman. You would see that if you just gave her a chance. I don’t care about the age and you shouldn’t, either. It’s just a number, William. I didn’t say anything about that Drusilla woman that you dated.”

“She was only seven years older than me.”

He nodded. “I never said anything because it was your life and I didn’t want to interfere, even though I knew that woman would have been no good for you. You weren’t a child anymore and I wanted you to figure that out for yourself. And then there was sweet Elizabeth. I loved her like my own daughter and never had any complaints. Did I say anything when you fell in love with her sister? No, because I could see how happy Buffy made you. All I want is for you to be happy, son. That’s all a father could ever want for his children. Don’t I deserve the same happiness?”

“I bloody hate it when you make sense,” Spike grumbled.

Jacob smiled. “I’m truly happy, William. I haven’t felt this alive in years.”

Spike sighed and sat back down. “All right, I suppose that I can try and accept this. You should know what you’re doing more than I do. I just don’t want you to get hurt. Whenever young girls go for older men, it hardly ever works out. They always have some ulterior motive.”

“Trust me, William. I have a good feeling about this one.”

Spike nodded after a moment. “Fine, but I’m not calling her mum if you ever decide to get married. That’s just too bloody weird.”

Jacob laughed. “Well, no one is talking about marriage just yet, but I appreciate that you’re trying to be okay with this. It means a lot to me. You’ll see that Harmony’s not all that bad. She’s a nurse at the local hospital. She’s great when it comes to caring for other people. I’m definitely in good hands.”

Spike didn’t want the image of his father with a young woman in his head and was about to change the subject, when the woman in question finally decided to grace them with her presence.

“Oh, I didn’t realize anyone was here. Sorry I took such a long nap,” Harmony said to Jacob, walking over to him and planting a kiss on his cheek.

“That’s quite all right, darling. I was just having a much needed talk with my son. I think everything is better with us now.”

Harmony smiled. “That’s really great to hear.”

Spike didn’t know what else to say and just shifted in his seat.

Jacob decided to go into the kitchen to make some coffee, leaving them alone in the living room.

Harmony sat down in the chair across from Spike, breaking the silence after a few seconds. “I know you don’t really like me, but I really do love your father. It’s probably a shock since we’ve only been together for a few months, but sometimes all you need is one look at the other person to know that you will love them forever.”

Spike seemed to really see her for the first time, realizing that she wasn’t as dumb as he thought. “I think I know that better than anyone. My father’s happy and that’s all I really care about. Just take good care of him and we won’t have any problems.”

Harmony flashed him a bright smile now. “You definitely won’t have to worry about that. I love my Binky very much.”

Spike cringed. “That’s another thing we need to talk about. Binky? You couldn’t come up with anything better? That sounds like a child’s toy, not a name for a grown man.”

Harmony thought about it. “How about Blondie Bear? His hair is more gray than blonde, but I think it could work.”

Spike raised his eyebrows. “Binky it is, then.”


* * * * *


Yay, this story has been nominated at the Love's Last Glimpse Awards for Best WIP, Fantasy, and Villian for Darla, which took me by surprise since she didn't have such a big part. This never really happens to me, so all with the happy. Thanks to whoever decided to nominate the story. I'm really proud of this one, so it's very appreciated=)