Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 24

Buffy rolled her eyes at the couple that was making out in front of her. She was working and didn’t like to tolerate the open display of affection. It was cute at first, but now it was just distracting.

“Is there a possibility that you guys could take this elsewhere? You’re scaring the customers away.”

Faith pulled away from Doyle to stare at Buffy. “Sorry about that, B. We get like this when we haven’t seen each other in a while.”

“It’s only been a day.”

Faith shrugged. “Yeah, but a long day.

Doyle nuzzled his face against Faith’s neck, which caused her to laugh and continue kissing him.

Buffy rolled her eyes again and hoped that her mushiness with Spike was never that nauseating.

“Oh, dear lord. Faith, this is not professional. You have work to do in the back room.”

Faith was embarrassed that time as she pulled away from her boyfriend. “Sorry, Dad, I’ll get right on that.” She gave Doyle one more quick kiss on the lips, then headed to the back of the store.

Giles polished his glasses and left to get a drink.

“Well, I guess I can go now. See you around, lass.”

Buffy sighed in relief as she watched Doyle leave the shop. She shook her head and got back to reading the paper that was in front of her, but knew that she wasn’t completely alone. “You can stop hiding now. I know you’re there.”

The young girl cursed for being caught and came out from behind the stacks. “How did you know I was here?”

Buffy looked up at her and smiled. “I have spies everywhere. What are you doing here, Dawn? Aren’t you supposed to be in school right now?”

She shrugged. “It was an early release day and I got bored. My mom’s hardly ever home, anyway. I doubt she would miss me.”

Buffy nodded and could tell that the subject was sensitive for the girl, so she decided to change it. “Come over here, I wanna show you something.”

Dawn was curious and walked over to her.

Buffy went through a box that was next to the register and pulled out a bottle. She held it up for Dawn to see.

“Wow, that’s so cool! Are those real eyes?”

Buffy laughed. “They’re newt eyes, used for spells and such. I don’t know much about magic, but they’re pretty gross to look at.”

Dawn shook her head and grabbed it from her. “Do you think magic is real?”

Buffy shrugged. “I don’t know. I haven’t exactly needed to cast any spells, but I do believe that there are real witches out there. Spike’s sister is Wiccan; she likes to practice this stuff. She can read auras, it’s pretty interesting. I’m sure you guys would have a lot to talk about.”

Dawn smiled and put the bottle back into the box. “So, is Spike gonna stop by here anytime soon? I hardly ever get to see him,” she said with a pout.

Buffy sighed. “He’ll stay away if you don’t stop flirting with him. I think it freaks him out, not to mention me.”

“I don’t mean anything by it. You’re so lucky to be engaged to a hottie like him. Can I see the ring again?”

Buffy nodded and held her hand out.

Dawn was still in awe by the size of the diamond. “It’s really pretty. I’m hoping to get a ring like that when I get married. I just have to find a boyfriend first. The guys in high school are so immature. I think I need to look for someone older.”

Buffy raised her eyes. “I hope you don’t mean mine.”

Dawn shook her head. “No, not that old. I mean a college guy. My friend Janice is dating a guy that goes to UC Sunnydale and she always gets to go to all the cool parties. I’m so jealous of her sometimes.”

Buffy only tuned into the first part. “What do you mean not that old? He’s not even thirty yet.”

“Well, that’s fine for you. Spike is definitely sexy, but just too old for me. I just like to look at him.”

Buffy agreed. “You’re not the only one, but I think you need to give it a rest. You’re only sixteen, Dawn. You shouldn’t be flirting with a man Spike’s age. That leads to badness and it makes him very uncomfortable. I’m sure he was flattered at first, but that ship has sailed.”

Dawn looked ashamed. “I didn’t mean to make him uncomfortable. I was just having some fun.”

“That may be so, but just think of other ways to have fun from now on, okay?”

Dawn nodded and was about to respond, but a certain man walked into the store before she got a chance to.

Spike’s eyes widened when he saw Dawn there. “I’ll just come by later,” he said, then made his way back out of the store.

Buffy had to laugh as she looked at the pouting girl. “You see my point.”


* * * * *


“How come you don’t like Dawn? She’s a sweet kid, just a little misguided.”

Spike sighed. “It’s not that I don’t like her, she’s just a little scary. No girl that age should act like that. God, I worry about what will happen when our daughters get to be teenagers. I don’t think I’ll ever be ready for it.”

Buffy rubbed his shoulders. “I’m with you there. I was quite a little terror when I was a teenager. I guess you could say I was a bit like Dawn, but she means well. I think she’s just lonely. She doesn’t have a father and her mother is never around. Why else would she hang out at the store all of the time? Well, besides trying to get a glimpse of you. I know it’s not because of all the magic supplies. I had a talk with her today and I think she’ll leave you alone now.”

Spike was relieved and let out a moan in pure bliss. “You’re really good at that.”

Buffy smiled and continued giving him a massage. “I had a good teacher,” she whispered in his ear.

He instantly shot off of the couch and picked her up, making his way up the stairs as Buffy laughed at his antics.

Tara walked out of the kitchen just in time to see them leave. “Another night with the earplugs,” she said to herself, then looked down at the piece of paper in her hand that held Willow’s phone number. It was given to her when they both took the kids to the park the other day. Tara smiled at the thought of making a new friend, but hoped that it could soon be something more.