Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 25

Buffy found herself back at the Bronze a few nights later. She would sometimes go there after work to blow off some steam before she went home. She headed for the bar and stopped suddenly at the man that was once again sitting there. Buffy figured that she should just walk away before being spotted, but couldn’t seem to move. He looked so depressed and there was something that she was curious to talk to him about. She then took in a breath and sat in the available stool next to him.

“So, how many have you had this time?” she said, pointing to the glass of beer that was in front of him.

Ben shrugged and didn’t care to look at her. “I haven’t touched it yet. I think I’ve just been staring at it for the last hour.”

Buffy was relieved that she didn’t catch him when he was drunk again. “I don’t know why I’m bothering to ask you about this, but I need to know more about your relationship with my sister. I still can’t believe that she would have actually cheated on her husband. I know I missed eight years of her life, but that just doesn’t sound like Lizzie.”

Ben took a deep breath and finally gazed up at her. “I was in love with Elizabeth, but she never loved me. I would have given her everything, the whole world if she asked for it. We never really slept together. Oh, I wanted to, but she never would have allowed that. It was all about William for her,” he finished with sadness in his voice.

“So, you never had an affair? How could you make Spike believe that his wife cheated on him? Losing her was hard enough for him to deal with. He didn’t need that, too.”

Ben let out a sigh. “I was telling the truth about being involved with her before I left. We shared a lot in that time, but we just didn’t sleep together. She came to me once all upset about an argument that she had with him, and I was there to comfort her. We started to kiss, but she pulled away before anything more could happen. No matter what I offered her, she would have never left him.”

Buffy was feeling more relieved by this conversation. She had no doubts that Emma was really Spike’s daughter, but it felt good to be assured of that. She was pulled out of her thoughts by the look that Ben was now giving her.

He suddenly reached out and caressed her cheek. “You look so much like her.”

Buffy was confused and instantly backed away. “Yeah, but I’m nothing like her. It’s best to keep that in mind. In fact, I should be going now.”

Ben grabbed her arm to stop her from getting up. “I could give you a ride home. It’s the least I could do for causing so much trouble.”

Buffy gazed around the club and spotted a familiar brunette talking to a guy that looked older than her. She just shook her head and glanced back at Ben. “Thanks, but I have to take care of something. It was nice talking with you,” she said, moving off of the stool and quickly away from him before he could stop her again. Buffy headed over to where the girl was and tapped her on the shoulder. “Now, why do I think that you’re not supposed to be here?”

Dawn was startled when she turned around. “Great, guess I’m busted.”

Buffy nodded. “Say goodnight to your friend, we’re going.”

Dawn sighed and left the hot guy that she was getting to know.

Buffy followed after her and didn’t speak until they were outside. “What are you doing here at this time? You better not have been drinking.”

Dawn rolled her eyes. “Hardly, alcohol is for losers. I just wanted to get out of the house and have some fun.”

Buffy stopped Dawn to look at her. “You snuck out of your house? Your mother is probably worried about you.”

Dawn gave a humorless laugh. “Yeah, for that to happen she would have to actually notice that I was gone. I do this all the time, she never pays attention. She’s too busy getting wasted or watching her stupid shows. She pays more attention to that TV than she does to me.”

“I’m sure it can’t be all that bad. Come on, I’ll walk you home. I think I want to have a little talk with her.”

Dawn didn’t care to tell Buffy that it was pointless to get through to her mother once they started walking again, but it was nice to have someone that worried about her for a change.

They reached her house a few minutes later.

Buffy knocked on the door and waited for what felt like forever, until a blonde woman finally answered it.

She gave Buffy a suspicious look, then turned her gaze on Dawn. “What the hell are you doing out there? You were supposed to be in your room.”

Dawn shrugged and stepped into the house.

Buffy forced a smile on her face. “I guess your daughter decided to go for a late night stroll. I found her and offered to walk her home, so she wouldn’t have to alone.”

She looked her up and down. “And who are you?”

“I’m Buffy Summers; I work at the Magic Box. Dawn likes to come in every now and then. What’s your name?” she asked to try and make conversation, not liking the way she was staring at her.

The woman rolled her eyes. “I’m Glory, not that it’s any of your business. Good to know that you found her before she caused any problems, you expecting a reward or something?”

Buffy shook her head. “No, I just wanted to make sure that she got home safely.”

Glory turned away from Buffy to glare at Dawn. “What did I tell you about going to that hocus pocus shop? That place is nothing but a joke and I don’t want you going there again. Do you understand me?”

Dawn looked away from her cold stare and nodded.

“Get upstairs, we’ll talk about this later. I may have to nail that damn window of yours shut.”

She nodded again and ran upstairs, without bothering to say anything.

Buffy was concerned when she noticed how scared Dawn seemed to be. “You don’t have to be so hard on her. She didn’t really do anything wrong.”

Glory glared at Buffy now. “I don’t appreciate having some freak that works in a magic store telling me how to raise my own kid. You brought her home and now you can go. I don’t want your influence around my daughter. Have a nice night,” she said with a false smile, then slammed the door in her face.

Buffy was stunned as she stared at the closed door, fearing for Dawn’s safety.