Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 26

“That woman was horrible, Spike. It killed me to leave Dawn there. She doesn’t deserve to be treated like that.”

He ran his hands down her arms to calm her. “There was nothing you could have done, love.”

Buffy wouldn’t accept that. “There has to be something. And can you believe that nasty woman had the nerve to call me a freak? She should try looking in the mirror once in a while.”

Spike smiled. “My kitten has claws.”

“You’re damn right I do, and I know exactly who I would use them on.” She took a deep breath and decided to change the subject. “Well, something good did come out of this. I talked to Ben at the Bronze.”

Spike raised his eyebrows. “How is that good?”

Buffy smiled now. “I found out what really happened between him and Elizabeth. They never slept together, Spike. Ben was in love with her, but that’s all it was. Lizzie never returned his feelings because you were the only one she wanted.”

Spike let out a long sigh of relief. “That’s really good to hear. I knew that wanker was full of it.”

Buffy nodded. “Yeah, I kinda feel bad for him. Unrequited love is never fun, but I have a feeling he was a bit obsessed with her.”

“What do you mean?” he wondered.

“It was just this vibe that I got off of him. He’s been a total mess ever since he found out about Lizzie’s death. It seems like there was more than just him being in love with her. He was completely obsessed. I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a shrine of my sister in his room.” She cringed at just the thought of it.

Spike didn’t like the sound of that, but Buffy wasn’t finished.

“Oh, and then there was the way he looked at me. He was all about how much I look just like her. It totally creeped me out, like he was about to kiss me or something. Good thing for seeing Dawn when I did, it gave me an excuse to get away from him. He was ready to give me a ride home.”

Spike really didn’t like the sound of that. “I think you need to stay away from him, Buffy. It sounds like he might put his obsession on you next.”

Buffy laughed and shook her head. “That’s crazy; he wouldn’t get obsessed with me. I’m not Elizabeth.”

“I don’t think he cares about that. I just want you to be careful around him.”

She nodded and gave Spike a quick kiss on his lips. “You don’t have to worry. I don’t plan on seeing Ben again.”

Spike wrapped his arms around Buffy and held her tighter. He really prayed that was true. It didn’t sound like this man was very stable and he didn’t want Buffy to get hurt. He would do whatever he could to make sure that never happened.


* * * * *


Buffy looked up to see Dawn enter the store.

“Hey, I didn’t think I would be seeing you in here again.”

Dawn shrugged. “I like it here. I don’t believe all that crap my mom tells me about magic. She doesn’t know anything about it. Besides, she’s not likely to find out I keep coming here.”

Buffy decided not to comment about that. “So, are you okay? Your mom seemed pretty angry when I left last night.”

Dawn moved closer to Buffy and tucked her hair behind her ear.

Buffy gasped at the sight of the cut on the girl’s face. “Where did you get that?” she wondered.

Dawn silently cursed herself for forgetting about that and thought of something quick to say. “I just tripped and fell on the way over here. I can be a major klutz sometimes.”

Buffy only nodded, even though a part of her really didn’t believe that.

Dawn remained silent after that and just glanced around the store to keep herself occupied.

Buffy glanced up and smiled when Willow walked into the shop. “Hey, what are you doing here?”

Willow looked a little nervous before she spoke. “I was just hoping we could talk. Is this a bad time?” she said, looking at Dawn.

Buffy shook her head. “No, we can talk in the back for a bit. Will you be fine out here, Dawn?”

She smiled. “Yeah, I can handle any customers that come in.”

Buffy was worried and ushered Willow to the back of the store. “I won’t be long.” She addressed her friend when they finally had some privacy. “I really hope no one comes in. So, what’s up?”

The red head took a deep breath. “Okay, there’s something I’ve wanted to tell you for weeks now, but I’ve been too afraid. I don’t want to freak you out.”

“Will, you could never freak me out. We’ve been best friends practically forever, there’s nothing you can’t tell me,” Buffy explained.

“I know and that makes me feel a little better about telling you. I’ve been developing feelings for someone recently.”

Buffy smiled at the news. “That’s so great, Willow. You haven’t dated much since Oz left; it’s good that you’re starting to move on.”

Willow nodded. “I really loved Oz, but I never planned on feeling like this again. It’s so different from anything that I’ve felt before. I just hope you would be able to accept it.”

Buffy placed a hand over her heart. “It’s not Spike, is it?”

Willow could tell that she was teasing and slapped her playfully on the arm. “Of course it’s not Spike, but you’re not that far off.” She took another deep breath and just decided to come out with it. “I’ve been having feelings for Tara.”

Buffy’s eyes widened at that revelation. “Wow, I didn’t see that coming. Do you think she feels the same for you?”

Willow shrugged. “I think she does, we haven’t really talked about it. She’s just so sweet and caring. I never would have actually thought that I could be with another woman, but Tara makes it so easy. We can talk about anything and she’s so understanding. I told her all about my break up with Oz and she was such a great listener. I really like her, Buffy. You’re not freaked, are you?”

Buffy would have laughed if her friend didn’t look so serious. “I am nowhere near freaked, Will. You know I’m not a person that would judge anyone. I love you and if she makes you happy, then I’m all for it. Tara’s amazing; I don’t think you could possibly find anyone better.”

Willow was relieved and gave Buffy a hug. “You don’t know how much it means to me that you’re okay with this. I would have hated to lose you as a friend.”

Buffy shook her head and pulled out of the embrace. “You never have to worry about that. And don’t worry about Spike, either. I’m sure he’ll be fine with it.”

Willow agreed and jumped a little when she heard a crash that came from the front of the shop.

“Oops, sorry about that!” Dawn yelled.

Buffy groaned and rubbed her eyes. “I better get out there before anything else gets broken. We’ll talk later.”

Willow nodded and watched as Buffy walked away, glad that everything seemed to work out.