Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 28

“She still won’t come out of that room. She hardly eats or sleeps; I’m really worried about her.”

Spike rubbed her arm. “She’s been through a lot, more than anyone her age should have to go through.”

Buffy agreed. “I just wish there was something I could do to help her. Dawn has hardly even said anything to us the few days she’s been here. She just stays in Tara’s room, which was nice of her to let Dawn use. I’m glad she’s been getting along so well with Willow and offered to stay with her for a little while. There’s no way I can even think about going to work right now, anyway.”

“You’re exhausted, sweetheart. You should get some rest yourself.”

Buffy shook her head. “I can’t sleep when I have four kids to worry about.”

Spike decided that there was no point arguing with her about it. “I just don’t understand this. I don’t know how someone could hurt their own child like that.”

She looked away from him. “I don’t either, but I know how it feels to have someone you love hurt you. Someone that you thought loved you.”

Spike was concerned now. “Are you talking about that Riley bloke? You never really told me much about why you broke up. Did he hit you?”

Buffy took a deep breath. “Sometimes, he would drink a lot and didn’t like when I argued with him. The whole thing about him being a controlling asshole was true. He didn’t let me do anything without him. He was all about how a woman’s place is in the home, and he wouldn’t even let me get a job. I disobeyed him once and he took it out on me in a physical way. That was the first time he ever actually laid a finger on me. I…I was hospitalized for about a week and told people that I fell down the stairs. I was too afraid to tell the truth, but it was Lindsey that finally convinced me to leave him. He was the only one that I could talk to about it. I was surprised when Riley just let me go. I guess he didn’t care to deal with me anymore.”

Spike didn’t think it was possible to feel such hatred for anyone, but he wanted to rip that bastard’s head off for hurting her. “God, why didn’t you ever tell me about that?”

Buffy shrugged. “I just wanted to forget about everything that happened. I didn’t want you to think I was weak for putting up with that.”

“I could never think you’re weak, Buffy. I think you’re very strong for dealing with that, but you could have told me.”

She nodded. “Well, I’m telling you now. This whole thing with Dawn just brought it all back. It brought back all of the pain that I felt and how scared I was. I never want to feel like that again.”

Spike wrapped his arms around her. “You never will, I’ll see to that. Where the hell is the wanker now? I would love to give him a piece of my mind.”

Buffy laughed against his chest. “Last I heard he was in jail. It seems like he got a bit too careless, but I didn’t care to find out much. I put him behind me the day I decided to walk away. Lindsey got me the job at Wolfram and Hart after that. He was always there for me.”

“It seems like he had a thing for you.”

She pulled away to look at Spike. “Yeah, he never tried to hide the fact that he had feelings for me. It was just too soon for me to get involved with anyone after Riley, so we just agreed to stay friends. He actually talked me into moving back here, even though I could tell he didn’t want me to leave. He saw how miserable I was and could tell that I didn’t exactly like my job. Well, it wasn’t the job as much as the people. Some of them were real jerks, but I eventually decided that he was right. I was going to come back when I heard about Lizzie’s death, but other stuff kept getting in the way. I’m glad I finally decided to come back. I never knew how much I missed my parents, and I couldn’t imagine never getting the chance to know you.”

Spike held her tighter. “I’m really glad you came back, too. I was practically dead after Elizabeth died. You brought me back to life.”

She smiled and slapped him on the leg. “That was really corny.”

He shrugged. “Yeah, but it got you to smile.”

Buffy lifted her head to give him a kiss on the lips. “You always make me smile, but I think I have an idea about what to do with Dawn. It might not work out, but I think it could be the best thing for her. I’ll be right back.” She gave him one more kiss, then headed up the stairs.

Spike wondered about what she had planned, but was positive that it would work out.


* * * * *


“Honey, is everything okay?”

Buffy almost burst into tears at the sight of her father, but she held herself together. “I need to talk to both of you.”

Hank nodded and moved out of the way to let her into the house, closing the door once she was inside.

Buffy followed him into the living room and couldn’t keep the tears from falling when she laid eyes on her mother. Without giving much thought to anything else, she embraced the older woman.

Joyce was concerned and wrapped her arms around Buffy. “Sweetie, what is it?”

Buffy shook her head, but didn’t let go. “I’m sorry for everything. You’re a great mother and I never appreciated it. I’m so thankful that I have both of you.”

Hank patted his daughter on the back. “We were thankful to have you and your sister. What is this about, princess?”

Buffy pulled away and wiped the tears from her eyes. “I need a huge favor. I know it’s a lot to ask for, but just let me explain before you say anything.”

They both nodded and waited for her to continue.

“There’s this girl that has been staying at my house the last couple of days. Her name is Dawn and she’s sixteen-years-old. Her mother was an alcoholic and drug addict that died a few days ago. She was horrible and abusive to Dawn.”

Joyce gasped at that, but didn’t say anything until Buffy finished.

“Dawn’s scared and confused right now. She came to me because she had no one else to turn to. I wish I could be there for her all the time, but I know that I can’t. I still have my job to get back to and Spike and I already have three babies to take care of. Dawn’s a great kid, but I can’t give her what she deserves. She’s never had any loving parents and that’s what she needs right now. You both were so great to us. You were strict because you cared and wanted what was best for us. I never really took the time to realize that before. I know that Dawn could never replace the daughter that you lost, but I don’t have any other options. If she doesn’t have somewhere to live, I’m afraid they’ll put her into foster care and she’ll end up with someone that will treat her just as bad as her mother did. I don’t want her to go through that again. So, I guess I’m asking if you both can find it in your hearts to accept her. I know you don’t know her and you have no reason to do this, but I wouldn’t ask if it didn’t mean a lot to me. I just don’t think she can find better parents than you.”

Joyce didn’t realize that she had tears in her eyes during Buffy’s speech. She glanced at her husband to see the same look on his face.

He gazed at Joyce and nodded after a moment. “We would love to give her a real home. If it’s okay with Dawn, then it’s okay with us.”

Buffy was crying happy tears now as she hugged both of her parents. “I know you guys won’t regret this. I already talked with Dawn about it earlier and she’s willing to give it a chance. I can bring her by later tonight,” she said, pulling out of the hug.

Joyce smiled. “That would be fine, honey. We can’t wait to meet her.”

Buffy smiled in return and it remained on her face all the way home.