Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 29

Buffy entered the nursery to find Dawn holding baby Elizabeth.

The girl looked up and gave a small smile. “She started to cry.”

Buffy nodded and took the baby from the teenager, rocking her back to sleep.

“You know, if you ever need a babysitter or anything, I could always lend a helping hand. It’s the least I can do for everything you’ve done for me.”

Buffy smiled and placed Elizabeth back into her crib. “I might just take you up on that. Are you ready to meet my parents?”

Dawn looked nervous. “What if they don’t like me?”

Buffy felt her heart go out to the girl. “They’re going to love you. We’re not that far away if you ever want to come back for a visit. You always have a home here, too.”

Dawn felt tears in her eyes, but held them back. “Okay, I think I’m ready now.”


* * * * *


Buffy smiled when her father opened the door and embraced her. She returned the hug and grabbed Dawn’s hand, pulling her into the house.

Dawn felt nervous again when she looked around the house.

Joyce got off of the couch to greet them.

Buffy smiled when she saw her. “Mom, Dad, this is Dawn.”

She gave them a little wave and didn’t really know what to say.

Joyce instantly knew that they made the right decision when she got a good look at the girl. No words were spoken as she wrapped her arms around Dawn. “Welcome home,” she whispered, which caused Dawn to feel more tears cloud her vision.

Hank hugged her as well once Joyce let go.

Buffy smiled as her parents got acquainted with Dawn, relieved that she was finally safe.


* * * * *


“You are an incredible woman, you know that?”

Buffy blushed at his comment. “I’m not really all that special.”

Spike wouldn’t accept that and turned her to look at him. “Yes, you are. You’re amazing and it’s important that you always believe it.”

“You’re not just saying this because of all the hours of hot sex that we just had, are you?”

Spike laughed and wrapped his arms around her naked body. “That could be one reason, but I also really mean it. Everything about you is bloody amazing. You have one of the biggest hearts that I’ve ever seen.”

Buffy looked away from his gaze for a moment. “I’m not sure if that’s such a good thing. The bigger the heart, the easier it is to get broken.”

Spike pressed his lips to her forehead. “I will never let anything happen to your heart, baby. It’s very precious, just like the rest of you.”

Buffy found herself blushing again and had an urge to change the subject. “So, think you can handle another hour?”

He laughed heartily. “Oh, love, I can handle anything that you’re willing to give.”

She squealed as Spike pounced on her.


* * * * *


“Buffy, wake up! It’s not good to fall asleep in front of the register. Anyone can use that to their advantage and steal the money.”

She raised her head at Anya’s voice. “Sorry, I just closed my eyes for a second.”

“You’ve been tired all day. Are you pregnant again?”

Buffy shook her head. “I’m not pregnant. Spike was just an animal last night.” She suddenly looked embarrassed. “I didn’t mean to say that out loud.”

Anya waved her hand in the air. “You forget who you’re talking to. I definitely don’t mind. So, did you get lots of orgasms? I bet he’s very pleasing in the bedroom. Not that I think about Spike in the bedroom. I have Xander and he satisfies me just fine, not to mention all my very loyal callers.”

Buffy raised her eyebrows. “I’ve been wondering about that. Xander doesn’t mind that you’re a phone sex operator?”

“No, why should he? That’s how we met, he knows what I do.”

Buffy nodded. “Yeah, but I just figured that he might not be comfortable with it since you guys are dating now.”

Anya shook her head. “He hasn’t said anything about it. I don’t think he really cares. Just as long as I don’t actually have sex with any of them, but that’s not likely to happen. Some of them are really creepy, even to me.”

Buffy smiled. “You and Xander are definitely perfect for each other.”


* * * * *


Spike decided to go through the junk in the attic to kill time until Buffy got home. He rummaged through a lot of boxes and stopped when he came across a familiar looking book. He took it out and recognized it as Elizabeth’s journal. She would write in it almost every night, never letting him take a peek. He decided that it couldn’t hurt now and opened the book, skipping a few entries in the beginning. Spike finally noticed one that looked interesting and started to read, his eyes bulging at her words. She talked about meeting Ben and how he was a great friend to her, but she became scared when his feelings started to change. He read some more and realized that Buffy was right about the bloke being obsessed with Lizzie. Spike put the journal back and thought about what he saw. The man seemed more than just not stable, he seemed dangerous.


* * * * *


Buffy felt a chill and pulled her jacket more around her as she continued the walk home. If she realized the night was going to be so cold, she would have called Spike to pick her up. She nearly jumped out of her skin when a car horn blared next to her. Buffy turned around and noticed Ben riding along beside her in his car.

He gave her a smile. “Hey, you want a ride?”

Buffy knew that she shouldn’t and shook her head. “That’s okay; I’m not that far from home.”

Ben wouldn’t let it go. “Come on, it’s too cold for anyone to be walking tonight. I have the heat on in my car. I know where you live; it’s no trouble to take you there.”

Buffy thought about it and realized that she really was cold. It would just be a short ride, anyway. There was no harm in that. She nodded after a few seconds and opened the car door, getting in and closing it behind her. She rubbed her hands and gave him a small smile. “Thanks,” she told him.

Ben smiled wider and drove to his destination.


* * * * *


Spike was pacing the living room.

Tara was starting to get dizzy and grabbed his shoulders to stop him. “You need to calm down. I’m sure she’s fine.”

He was finding it hard to calm down at the moment. “Buffy should have been home by now. She would usually call if she was going to be late.”

“Well, maybe she just went to the Bronze for a bit. You told me she does that sometimes after work.”

Spike ran his fingers through his hair. “I don’t know. I just don’t have a very good feeling about this.” He sighed in relief when there was a knock on the door, figuring that maybe Buffy forgot her key. He went to answer it and frowned when no one was there, looking down he noticed a piece of paper lying on the ground. Spike picked it up and felt pure fear when he read the short message that was written there.

Tara came over to see what was keeping him. “What is it?” she wondered.

He didn’t say anything and just handed her the paper.

Tara took it from him and gasped at the words.

She’s mine now.