Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 7

“Buffy!” Spike bellowed up the stairs.

She ran out of the nursery. “Do you have to yell? I just put Emma down for her nap.”

He looked guilty before getting right to the point. “Sorry, but I’m in a hurry. I have a date and might not be back until late tonight, just thought you should know.”

Buffy couldn’t help the pang of jealousy that she felt, but quickly shrugged it off. “Oh, I thought you had some business thing tonight? I didn’t know you were going out with anyone.”

“It happened pretty recently. Xander set it up. He suggested that I should get out there and meet new people. You don’t have a problem with this, do you?” he wondered.

“No, why would I have a problem with it? You’re a free man. It’s not like I’m your keeper or anything. My sister has been gone for almost a year; it’s understandable that you would want to start dating again. It would just be best if you didn’t bring any of the women back here. You know, like you didn’t want me to. It wouldn’t be a very good influence on Emma, after all.”

Spike scowled at her, but it quickly turned into a smile. “Of course not, I’ll just be going now. Don’t wait up,” he said, then turned and left the house.

Buffy shook her head and headed back into the nursery to watch over her niece. A part of her really hoped the date would be a disaster.


* * * * *


“He had the nerve to dump me because I wanted too much sex. Can you believe that? There is no such thing as too much sex. What kind of man would break up with someone over that? You like sex, don’t you?”

Spike was confused by the entire conversation. His date, Anya Jenkins, was definitely not afraid to say anything. “Uh, yeah, sex is good. It has just been a while for me.”

She nodded. “Yeah, Xander told me about your situation. Sorry about your wife, but you should never be deprived of orgasms. We could go back to my place after dinner. You look like you would be very good in the sack.”

Spike made the mistake of taking a sip of his water when she said that and started to choke.

Anya looked concerned and got up to pat him on the back.

He waved his hand in the air to assure her that he was fine.

She smiled and sat back down.

Spike took a deep breath before he spoke again. “I’m very flattered, but I don’t think that’s such a good idea. That sort of thing should at least wait until the second date,” he explained, already knowing that he didn’t plan on having a second date with her. She was a nice enough woman, but a bit too much for him.

“Really? I was with a guy once that let me give him a blowjob after only knowing me for an hour.”

Spike rubbed his eyes and decided to change the subject. “So, how do you know Xander?”

She beamed at the mention of Xander. “Oh, I’m a phone sex operator. Xander is one of my regular callers. Technically it was against the rules for us to meet, but I just couldn’t resist. He decided that he wanted to be friends. I’ve never known a guy that just wanted to be friends with me, but I really like Xander. He has nice arms, and he’s very pleasant to look at.”

Spike raised his eyebrows. “I think you would be better suited for him, love. Maybe he doesn’t know how much you like him. I could talk to him for you.”

Anya flashed him an even bigger smile. “You would do that? Not that you’re not a very good looking man, but I feel myself drawn to Xander. I just really want him to like me.”

Spike gave her a genuine smile now. “I’ll see what I can do.”


* * * * *


“We need to talk.”

Xander moved out of the way when Spike barged into his apartment. “Right, just come on in.”

Spike went straight to the fridge to grab a beer.

“So, I take it the date didn’t go too well.”

He glared at Xander and took a long sip of the alcohol. “Did you really think it would work out? She’s a man eater, Harris. She constantly goes on about orgasms. You had to have known that it was pointless to set me up with her. I haven’t had sex for about nine months now.”

Xander agreed. “That’s why I set you up with her. I figured Anya would get you out of your shell. You need to get laid, man.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “No, you need to get laid. I think Anya would be bloody perfect for you. I’m not looking for a one night stand, or whatever you expected to happen. You need to give the bird a call. I don’t know why, but she has a thing for you.”

He perked up at this. “She told you that?”

Spike nodded. “Anya doesn’t understand why you would just want to be friends. I say give her a chance. She may end up surprising you.”

Xander thought about it and realized that his friend might be right.


* * * * *


Spike entered his house quietly and made his way upstairs to check on his daughter. He panicked when he saw that she wasn’t asleep in her crib and headed to Buffy’s room. He knocked on the door and opened it when he didn’t hear a response. He stopped suddenly at the gorgeous sight in front of him. Buffy was lying in bed with Emma cuddled up to her side, both of them were sleeping peacefully. He smiled and walked closer, the movement caused Buffy to open her eyes and look at him.

“She woke up and started to cry after you left. I brought her in here to sing her back to sleep, and I guess I fell asleep myself.”

Spike nodded. “Thank you, I’ll just take her back to the nursery. You stay and get some more rest.” He gently picked Emma up and carried her out of the room, being careful not to wake her.

Buffy watched him go and then lay back down. She was lost in her thoughts when he came back into the room.

Spike looked nervous as he sat down on the edge of the bed.

She sat up and ran her fingers through her hair. “How was the date?”

Spike shook his head. “It was bloody horrible. I ended up getting her with Xander instead.”

Buffy was surprised, but also relieved that it didn’t really go very well. She didn’t quite understand that.

“What about you and that Angel bloke? Are you going out with him?”

She sighed. “I told you we’re just friends. He’s married with two kids. I’m not a homewrecker.”

Spike smiled and felt a surge of relief go through him. “That works out nicely, then.”

Buffy wasn’t sure what he meant by that, but didn’t have much time to think about it when he suddenly pressed his lips to hers.