Author's Chapter Notes:
Based off challenge #234 at the bloodshedverse. Lyrics: The Dance sung by Garth Brooks.Some dialogue taken from the episode 2x03 School Hard, which was written by David Greenwalt and directed by John Kretchmer. Thanks to my beta basilio_the_cat for the edit, and to everyone that continues to read as well as review. I hope you enjoy the chapter!
Chapter Eight

School Hard


And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

Yes my life is better left to chance
I could have missed the pain but I'd of had to miss the dance

“The Dance” - Garth Brooks

It was nearing October and already Buffy had crushed the Master’s bones to teeny-tiny pieces and foiled a plot for the making of the Perfect girl. Guys needed to get over themselves, never gonna happen, nobody’s perfect, and a floozy of a model is certainly going to be far from it. Puhlease.


Now though she had to face the horrifying task of Synder and his threats of possible expulsion if she didn’t pull off the most perfect Back to School Night ever. Honestly you make one teeny tiny mistake and suddenly you’re the worst person in the world. Come on she saved the world, she can’t be bothered by the little things. She did good. That should be enough. She shouldn’t even have to make with the learning, it wasn’t like it mattered much.


Hmmm, maybe Synder was evil.


Add to that the fact that Willow thought she was a tad on the north side of crazy, and Angel trying to sniff her every chance he got, and well you had a party minus the pretty dreams.


Really. All this pressure. About to crack. Hello.


“Buffy, is there anything you wish to discuss?”


Oh, and let’s not forget Giles’ new habit of asking personal questions. It was so un-British of him.


“The possibility of Snyder being a demon?”


Giles made a face. “Uh, no. I was actually referring to you’re, ah, new reading preferences.”


“Oh.” So he noticed that. Dratted.


“It’s just you’ve never shown such an interest before. I’m just curious why the sudden change of heart.” He picked up the book, “in, ah, vampire biting rituals?”


“Oh. Um, this Vampire, really ugly, said he wanted to turn me. I wanted to see if it was possible.”


And the winner for the lamest excuse possible goes to Buffy Summers. Congratulations.


“It is actually a very dangerous thing to turn a Slayer,” said Giles, oblivious to his charge’s lie. “Her power’s increase significantly, she’s said to turn into a deadly force. Or more so.”


“Oh. Makes sense,” shrugged Buffy, simply happy that she had gotten away with the possibility of more probing questions.


“It does?”


“Yes.”


“Oh, well good then.” Giles nodded and then removed his glasses to clean them. Buffy rolled her eyes. “We’re thinking of heading to the Bronze tonight. Okay?”


Not that she should have to ask for his permission or anything, she thought as he mumbled a vague whatever.


***


He had felt her the moment he had walked in the door, his eyes instantly narrowing in on her. It was the pull, telling him what he knew to be his.


She was beautiful.


Her hair shimmered beneath the lights, her clothes clinging tightly to her body. Her hips swayed
seductively to the music, oblivious to everything around her expect the music and her geeky friends who didn’t know the first thing to keeping a beat. He could feel her body calling to his without her knowing it. He could feel the power radiating from her, and he wanted nothing more than to slide in behind her and have her move like that against him. Only him.


Had to work up to that though, the girl was too unpredictable, didn’t always think before she acted. Two peas in a pod they were.


But he was tired of waiting. He had done enough of that for the past few weeks. Getting a nice place to stay and fixing it up real good, wouldn’t do if his girl wasn’t impressed. He even took care of that anointed thing, and then sat back and worried about the chit’s reaction. Would she accept him or not? What was going to happen when they came face to face? Would it have really been worth going all those extra miles? Or would it be just another mess like his relationship with Drusilla had been?


Well, no more of that. Couldn’t just sit back and wonder. The pull was strong now, there was no going back, even she would start to feel it soon. It would be impossible to ignore for the both of them. And he wanted it. Wanted her. No turning back, it was time.


“Go get something to eat!” He ordered a minion, his eyes never leaving Buffy. Stepping nearer to the area, Spike disguised his voice, careful not to give himself away. Not yet. He didn’t want their first confrontation to be in a crowded club, that just wouldn’t do. “Where's the phone? I need to call the police. There's some big guy out there trying to bite somebody.”


Spike smiled as he watched her run to her duty. He didn’t hesitate to follow her outside.


“Slayer!”


“Slayee.”


He watched her aim a kick to the face before being slammed into a metal door only moments later. He resisted the urge to help, knowing that it would only do more harm than good.


“Get her out of here,” she yelled to her friends who had just run out the door. She began punching the vampire repeatedly. “And a stake would be nice.”


The boy disappeared inside and the girl sent the woman running. The Slayer punched the vampire minion in the face before taking a nasty blow herself, causing her to fall to the ground. Spike winced in sympathy.


“I don't need to wait for St. Vigeous. You're mine.”


The vampire bent down to go in for the final blow, and if Spike had been a fledging himself he would have thought that the idiot had won. But he wasn’t at all surprised to see her retaliate with a kick aimed right at the enemies face, causing him to stumble backwards. ‘Atta girl.


“Spike! Gimme a hand!”


Stupid minion. Spike watched her look over her shoulder with a frown. He stepped further into the shadows. It wasn’t time yet.


“Buffy!”


She was standing alone now. She must have dusted the Vampire in his brief distraction. He couldn’t help the smile that spread on his face. It had been nice to see her in action, be on the outside looking in for a change. She really was a brilliant Slayer. He almost loved the idea of having the pleasure of taking the final dance with her. That wouldn’t do though, he could think of other things he would much rather know the pleasure of doing with her. Killing her was not on the list.


Spike stepped from the shadows, clapping his hands in a slow pattern as he did so. The show really did deserve a hand. “Nice work, luv.”


He watched her head snap up at the sound of his voice. Good. She recognized him. Her mouth was open accompanying the look of shock gracing her features. Her expression changed from wonder to surprise, to fear, then anger, and than back to shock all in a matter of seconds. She closed her mouth and then opened it again, doing that little process a few more times. He could hear her heart beating fast with nerves, her fear and excitement perfumed the air.


The clutch her hand had on the stake grew tighter and tighter with each passing moment. Finally she took a step forward, before the look of fear returned. He resisted the urge to open his arms for her to run into, or to just step up to her and pull her them himself. It was her move now, had to see if she would trust him or treat him like any other vamp despite their history. Wouldn’t do to make a hasty move and end up dust on the ground because of an equally hasty decision. There was no telling with his girl.


And sure enough she dropped the stake and ran the other way, never taking the time to look back.


Now he was left here with the two buffoons that she called friends. Bloody mess this turned out to be. It could have been worse though, she could have initiated an attack.


“Has she ever done that before?” asked the boy, clearly terrified. Spike thought with glee the girlish scream the boy would probably omit if he took even a step closer. It made the demon hungry for his blood, but the thought of Buffy and how she would react to such a thing held him back.


It had been so long since his last real kill. Pathetic really.


“She’s never done that before,” answered the red head. The pair began to start walking backwards, thinking it a clever escape.


The boy went to pick up the stake, and held it out in front of him. “We’ll just be going now.” They turned around and ran, not noticing that he never even tried to follow.


Spike paid them no further attention as he took a giant breath and a whiff of the air before following Buffy’s scent. He had a girl to catch.