Author's Chapter Notes:
I know that much is not happening currently however I feel it important to establish the framework and relationships within this story. If it gets too monotonous please tell me and I will do my best to keep you interested. Thankyou to everyone who reviewed and continues to read this fandic. Without you I would have given up on it five chapters ago.
Angel had been waiting in the living room for several minutes before he decided that enough was enough. If they weren’t awake by now then they were either dead or slept like logs. Neither of which was a very pleasing option to him.

Darla’s clothes were strewn across the grey carpet, the tall blond running about in a different outfit every 10 minutes. Sometimes he thought she was worse than him except for taking up the bathroom. Hair gel was after all hard to apply if you wanted to look decent.

Giving himself a glance over, Angel made his way up the stairs with trepidation. As much as he cared for the Brit he had no interest in seeing Spike in the nude, or with Summers in a compromising position. He still had his pride.

Part of him still desired Buffy, truly believing that she would be a fine mistress and female figurehead for the gang, however judging from Spike’s possessive attitude that was no longer a possibility. The way the bleached blond had carried her in spoke of more than a dose of affection.

The boy’s head over heels in love with her.

Grimacing at the notion of Spike and public affection Angel hoped that this one wouldn’t end in disaster. Drusilla had ripped the Brit apart, making him something to be truly feared. After her desertion was when Will finally earned his moniker ‘Spike’.

Angel himself had been shocked at first by Will’s appearance in the block over from him. No one had known anything about the guy except that he hailed from England and some town called Bath. It had been Angel who had finally gone over to check him out, an older man with librarian style glasses answering the door in an upper class English accent. Angel had laughed at the whole episode, waving goodbye to Ripper and heading back home to his gang.

It wasn’t until Will turned up at the Bronze that they took any notice. Clothed in black with a grimace permanently set on his features, the bleached blond fitted the term ‘bad ass’ perfectly however Angel wasn’t positive that he would fit in such a gang.

All of his boys were hulking monsters of strength, the least not being Finn whose corn fed frame held power instead of brains. Angel hadn’t liked Spike from the moment he laid eyes on him.

In hindsight neither had Finn. The poster boy for hicks had cracked his knuckles, asking Angel whether they “could bust the peroxide’s head into a different shade of red.”

Angel had ignored him and kept watching. The guy had nerve, entering a place that had been claimed by him and his gang. If he didn’t know better, Angel would have thought he was being challenged. When asking Spike about it later, the Brit had smirked and said “I just wanted you to know that I was around peaches. If you hadn’t got your knickers in a twist, I would have been a lot more accommodating.”

Back then, he’d taken the Brit at first glance. He was just some try hard punk, and therefore nothing to be concerned about. Angel could remember turning his back and pulling Darla flush against him, they had started dating at that stage and his eyes did not wander often. Maybe if they had, he would have stopped Drusilla from leaving the group and staring at “the dark stranger.”


She was one of Darla’s friends and had ebony hair which trailed down to her waist. An odd girl, Dru was a year younger than Angel and far too idealist to be involved in any of his dealings. She had been transfixed by Spike’s brooding form and traipsed her way over to the bar where Will sat. The gang had stared in astonishment for several minutes whilst she literally caused a smile to bloom over his face. That was before, the guy cast a look back at in Angel’s direction.

The brunette, only sixteen but newly loyal to Masters, glowered in response. He didn’t like this ‘William’ one bit.

It took the two men several months before they could look at each other with something other than contempt and even then it still ended in numerous fist fights. Angel had brooded for an entire week when Darla informed him that William was allowed to come and go from the house. Nearly everyone else came as they pleased but Spike had never been offered the customary key that all members received. Angel didn’t see a point without him sealing a blood pact. But Darla warming up to Spike was the first of many small signs that for all his “bloody hells” and swagger the bleached blond was intelligent and resourceful. Not only that but likeable. Darla was the coldest woman Angel had ever attempted to thaw, and if Spike could melt her frosted heart then he deserved an award. It took the others another month before Will’s constant snark and energy took on a more affectionate tone rather than irritant which Angel still found occurred for him. Angel made it his prerogative to never like his men too closely. Spike had only came later as a nickname for the Brit, with his men calling him ‘rabbit’ for months before everything went to hell. All Will ever seemed to do was race from one task to the next. Only Dru held his complete attention.

It had stayed in that uneasy state for close to two years with Angel hating Spike, and the Brit more than retaliating. The constant interaction with Dru forced Will to be around Angel’s home and it soon progressed to where he was an ally, not with the gang but smoking contentedly on the fringes.

Parker had ruined it for all of them.

Similar to Angel, Abrams had detested Spike, but whilst Angel grew to accept his bravado and acknowledge his skill, Parker couldn’t. At first, the man had been amicable with them staying off Sunnydale turf and setting up his own gang in another area. He mainly dealt in things that Angel thought were better left alone such as the prostitution rings and drug cartel. Masters had given his approval of this development and Angel had strived to keep the peace.

A futile endeavour after Dru was caught sneaking around with the bastard.

It had taken days before Spike returned back to the house and even then he had only been able to crawl, too hung over to do more than slur a response. Dru had departed from the house in a whirlwind of abuse the night before, setting up camp with Parker and his inbred group of idiots.

Things only went from bad to worse then.

Raising his hand to knock on the door which had numerous dents from the times Spike had kicked it in, Angel looked heavenward.

Please don’t let them be doing something X rated in my house. If you love me God you’ll give me that at least.

His fist rapped on the door in what he hoped was a polite manner. The door was opened a minute later by Buffy, her face cleaned of the dirt but sporting a nasty bruise and graze.

“Sorry for taking so long Angel” she said quietly, not looking over her shoulder. “Spike seems to think that black is the only colour in existence and wouldn’t listen to one thing I said.” Her pout sprang forth unbidden and Angel had to bite down the urge to groan. Even after spending the night with his second in command she was still appealing.

It was then that Spike appeared, a grin of delight shining on his face when he took in Angel’s state of dress.

“Did we keep you waiting Peaches?”

Angel rolled his eyes, not bothering to give him a response and walked back down to Darla. He’d learned not to trade barbs, particularly when they continued for days.

“Whenever you’re ready, breakfast will be served.” He called back over his shoulder. “I would hurry if you don’t want farm boy to eat all the pancakes.”

Spike grimaced, pushing Buffy out of the doorway as his stomach growled. Noticing her frown, he gave her a quick kiss, grabbing her hand as they speed walked downstairs.

I’ll be buggered if Captain Cardboard gets all the grub.

***

The living room was a huge area, Buffy not having seen one even close to its size since her childhood. Lounges leaned against each wall, a plasma screen on one side about seven feet wide. The carpet was a grey colour though Buffy could notice more than a few beer stains and what she would never acknowledge as blood.

Watching Spike as he heaped a pile of pancakes onto his plate, maple syrup soaking through like oil, she smiled. He was carefree, treating the gang like a family, bickering breaking out routinely. They all sat or leaned against the red leather couches, most of them wearing black which covered the seats. Buffy was sitting in an armchair, its plush leather almost swallowing her whole. The kitchen was in an adjoining room, linked by two sliding doors which at this time were pushed back. She didn’t recognise all the people in the room, men far outweighing women in terms of numbers. Surprisingly the girls that she did recognise actually smiled and waved back at her. An odd occurrence since nearly all of her grade ignored her since becoming friends with ‘geeks’ such as Willow.

But then again this wasn’t high school.

A lot of the men in the room looked far older than Spike or Angel, Buffy guessing as far as 25. However they still looked to Angel for leadership and as Spike made his way to her, nodded to the bleached blond respectively.

It was perplexing.

Buffy didn’t question it though as Spike settled down in the arm chair, placing her in his lap with the plate balancing on her knees. Ignoring the stares which were now focused on them, Spike gave her a knife and fork, whispering in her ear lightheartedly “eat up pet before they steal it from you.” He dug into one pancake from behind, grinning from ear to ear as the taste assaulted him.

Almost as good as a flowering onion.

The stares continued for several minutes before Angel entered the room. He didn’t even need to say anything, the room instantly falling silent.

Though Angel would only be graduating at the same time as her, he made an imposing figure. His frame was large and muscular, tight jeans and shirt appearing to encase him. A holster for his gun balanced on his hip whilst hands large as a tarantula hung by his sides.

Buffy could suddenly understand where the appeal came from. The 18 years of age seemed to matter little with brown eyes far older gazing around at his gang. He well and truly had everyone’s attention.

Spike was the one who broke the silence, cheekily grinning at his leader even as Buffy sat closer.

“Get on with it you git. My pancakes are getting soggy.”

For the first time since Buffy had seen him, Angel truly smiled, its goofy appearance making her realise that there was a reason behind the glowering. No one would ever be frightened of you after seeing that smile.

“I never knew you liked my mouth so much Spike. Is there something you want to tell me?”

Spike not taken back, curled his tongue between his teeth, “always knew you were a poofter Angel.”

Raucous laughter echoed throughout the room before Angel moved to sit down. His chair sat in one corner, Darla balancing on one arm whilst another fair haired girl sat on the other.

Angel was never short for company.

Taking another glance around Angel noted who was in the room, marking Finn as oddly present. Weird, he’s normally always here for breakfast.

“I have received news from Masters recently and he wants us to take over the imports. Parker appears to be taking more than his fair share. Now we all know how Abrams is so I expect there to be some trouble when dealing with his suppliers. Because of this, Wes and Fred will be dealing with them as far as pleasant negotiations go.” A small mousy looking brunette nodded her head in obedience, ignoring the looks which passed between a spectacled brunette and a muscular black man. The room hung with tension for a moment in which Angel waited. If there was a fight it should be within home quarters. Anywhere else and the gang would appear weak. “Now that that’s settled, the strip clubs are doing well and Bronze is turning out more cash than ever before. I’m bringing this up because it will eat at our competition. We all know the risks of doing this but I’m warning you to travel securely and for women with a partner.” Angel looked at the two women on either side, not sparing them from his authority. “That means Cordelia as well Darla, as much as you don’t like her.”

Angel scanned the room again, catching azure eyes which were wide as though he forgotten something. The brunette felt like smacking his head as he realised why everyone’s attention was wavering.

I’m sure that everyone has noticed the newbie in our midst and maybe an introduction is needed.” He waved his hand at the bleached blond not wanting to declare it whilst he still desired the girl. “I’ll let Spike do the introduction.” Looking at Spike, he nodded slightly.

Suddenly Buffy was being pushed up, arms wrapping around herself as at least 30 different people stared at her. She felt Spike stand behind her, both leather clad arms wrapping around her frame possessively.

“This is Buffy Summers” he declared, biting back a growl as a number of the men peered closer. “Parker wants her and has already started hunting downtown. That being said, she’s mine and anyone who so much as lays a hand on her or upsets her will get their sodding head ripped off.” Leaning down to her ear, he squeezed her hand. “Say hello pet.”

Buffy’s face burned a red until she decided that composure was needed. Boldly taking a step away from Spike’s arms she met a few of the more open stares with her own. “Hello.”

Angel stood up himself, winking at her in encouragement as Spike once more wrapped her in his arms. “Buffy is officially part of the gang and if anyone has any disagreements they better state them now.”

He paused a moment however dead silence remained.

“Now that’s settled, breakfast will continue.”

“Umm boss?” A tentative hand had risen in the air as though the gang was still in a class room.

Angel heaved a sigh. “What is it Jonathon?”

“Isn’t she gonna take the blood oath?” Seeing the glares which were directed on him, Jonathon shrunk back into his seat. “I mean I had to and I could barely type for a month cause of the pain and-“

“Enough.” Angel turned to look at Spike who’s eyes were darkened. “It is custom Will.”

Ignoring his leader Spike nudged Buffy. If she refused the gang had every right to revoke their invitation. That would leave Buffy as a liability and under significant risk from other members in the house. She would still know too much to be let go but could not be involved in any operation.

Buffy turned to face him, her eyes wide with alarm. No one had said anything about blood oaths to her. “I’ll do it Spike.” Her voice was quiet, well aware of the attention which focused on them.

“Right then” he drawled, setting her feet firmly on the ground. Turning to Angel he gestured to the weapons room. “Go get your bleeding knife and do it already Peaches. We’ll be late for school otherwise.”

Again Jonathon interrupted. “What about the sacred blade… wouldn’t that be more appropriate?”

Spike faced the computer geek which they kept specifically for the purpose of hiding paper trails. “I’d shut my bloody mouth if I was you whelp.”

Gulping Jonathon prayed for the seat to swallow him whole, sharp nudges indicating that several members would be speaking to him later. Just my luck. More broken fingers right before the online conference for Star Trek.

Walking back into the room, Angel drew forth a wicked looking blade. One side was jagged, the hilt wrapped in brown leather strips.

Buffy stared at it, images of her godfather rising up instantly. She had a small scar across her left palm from where he had sliced the skin, drawing the blood and mixing it in with his own. Her father had watched the entire thing, saying to her that it bonded them beyond the normal legal terms. “You never cross anyone when there’s blood involved Elizabeth. It’s like carving at yourself.”

She held out the same hand this time, waiting for the sting which would be small compared to the blows she had received last night. Buffy jumped in surprise when Angel instead pulled her closer to him. Shaking his head, Angel moved the blade closer to her collar bone. “It has to be right in between the apex” he said in explanation. “About an inch and a half below your neck but no deeper than a 1/3rd.” He drew open his own shirt, a thin white scar trailing right below his collarbone. It looked like it had been cut with a fingernail, the edges jagged.

Spike grasped her hand, not caring what the others thought as Angel held her shoulder in a firm grip. His back had been held against a brick wall when Angel had drawn the same blade across it. Every single person in the room had it, some even going so far as to tattoo around the scar. It was a far safer initiation for girls then what happened at Parker's. The git was renowned for bringing eager women to their safe house and then sharing them with his pack of goons. He said that it was the best way to form a family connection, besides the fact that all the girls were far too scared to leave. He shuddered at the thought of Parker ever getting his mitts on Buffy.

One of these days he was going to blow the tosser away.

He gripped Buffy’s hands tighter when he heard a gasp escape from her small frame. Angel was holding her close to him, trying to exert just enough pressure to draw blood without causing any damage. Something which Spike was grateful for. After waking in the hospital he had wanted to get the sodding initiation over with as soon as possible. He’d practically forced Angel to carve at his skin, relishing the pain after soaking himself in the numbness of Dru’s decision.

Buffy’s eyes were surprisingly calm, her hand coming up to wipe at the small trickle of blood which dribbled down her chest. Angel had barely cut her at all. Doesn’t matter though thought Spike with satisfaction. As long as there’s blood none of these gits can complain… sodding Jonathon whining about his bloody hand. If the pillock hadn’t of been so scared of being cut on the chest we would never have sliced the hand open in the first place.

Spike directed a dark glare over at the small teenager. I’ll have a chat with you later mate.

Applause and cheering broke out snapping Spike out of his thoughts.

They were satisfied.

Angel held up the blade to show the red stain before pocketing it in his pants. Pulling Buffy’s hand into his own, Angel placed her before him with pride. “I am pleased to give you Buffy Summers, Spike’s girl and a blood member of the Aurelius gang.”

Buffy barely registered that arms which lifted her high, Spike’s voice ringing in her ears. “You have a family now Buffy.”