Author's Chapter Notes:
hey everyone. posts are going to be fairly irregular for the next month or so whilst I sit my HSC (equivalent to SATs). My eng is this firday and then the second monday so I can probably get a chapter out Wed and then Mon arvo next week. I apologise for the late updates in advanvce. Please don't stop reading or enjoying the story because of this. I was taken aback by the massive amount and wealth of reviews I have received. You will never know how grateful I am.
Spike had never felt so contented in his life. He’d finally shot Parker and his girl was safe. The bleached blond sat in the living room, a beer nestled in his hands and only a few birds in the corner disrupting the otherwise silent room. Buffy was upstairs packing her clothes and if he didn’t know better Spike would assume it was happiness he was feeling.

But then that couldn’t be right. Could it?

Taking another sip of the beer, Spike decided that he would not dwell on the constant wealth of emotions which sprung from his chest at the thought of Buffy Summers.

It was far better to ignore the obvious then let himself become love’s bitch. And that’s if you haven’t bloody admitted it already, you stupid git thought Spike bitterly. Buffy does not love you. Never has and never will after you dragged her into this sodding world. He stared at the cream wall, not really seeing it but rather images of Buffy, talking, smiling, sleeping, bloody pointing the gun at the wanker and still making it look attractive. “I’m so buggered.”

It was at that moment that Angel decided to waltz into the room.

“Spike my boy! What took you so long?” He clapped the Brit on the back roughly, falling into the couch with a large thump. “Does the girl have too many clothes?” The brunette chuckled, elated from the phone call he’d just received. Masters had announced the date of the next meeting and would be giving his gang and specifically Angel a reward.

“Parker was at the sodding house.”

Angel’s face which had up till then been beaming like a child high on candy, fell. Once again Abrams was getting involved in their affairs.

“And?”

Spike smiled, taking another sip of the beer. “She kicked his ass.”

Angel was shocked. “Buffy?”

“Yeah” drawled Spike, loving the sight of Angel gasping for air. “She did it right and proper too. By the time I kicked in the bloody door, Parker was looking like a gang had been at him. Scratches and bite marks everywhere.” The azure eyes flared with mirth. “Not to mention that she crushed the jewels.”

Unconsciously Angel groaned. It was difficult to even talk about being hurt in that area. For once he could empathise with Parker, after feeling Buffy kick him, he was certain it would have to hurt. A lot.

“That’s that’s…”

“Absolutely wonderful” interjected Spike, feeling slightly possessive. Angel’s general enquiries and stolen glances had done nothing to convince him that the git didn’t want his girl. “I’ll have to teach her how to throw a punch though.”

“Do you think that’s safe?”

Spike raised an eyebrow at his leader.

Angel forced a frown onto his features. There would be nothing stopping Buffy if she could learn to shoot properly and fighting techniques? Learning from Spike she would be far better protected. I’m going to have to invest in body gear.

“What I’m trying to say Will is that maybe she shouldn’t be trained… I mean you don’t really think she’ll want to be a part of our operations do you?”

“No” replied Spike. There was no point in not being honest. The things he did were illegal and would land him in prison until he was grey if convicted. “But that doesn’t mean I’m going to keep her captive. She’s been forced into a foreign situation with people that probably scare the living daylights out of her friends and definitely aren’t the types she’d associate with. If I can give her any confidence whatsoever I’ll take it.” Spike stared at the empty bottle, feeling a wave of guilt hit him. “I owe it to her.”

Angel nodded. Things would only get more out of control from here on out. If it was his woman the Summers girl would stay in his bed or be with a member for protection. He was the father figure of the entire gang and his dominance always extended to his women.

After all, Darla loved that in a man.

Both looked up as from the staircase, Buffy ran down and jumping two steps at a time with glee. Her long blond hair flew behind her, making her appear like some long lost maiden from a fairytale. Spike couldn’t help grinning at the picture she made. My golden angel.

Buffy paused at the floor, watching Spike and Angel with trepidation. They had been deep in discussion just moments before and she was almost certain it concerned her. Maybe Spike was telling him about what happened at the house she wondered. The whole time in the car all he could talk about was how well I held the gun and took control. Buffy felt her cheeks redden as she remembered how Spike had reacted when they reached the front of the house. He had leant against the door, hands either side of her head and given her what could only be described as a soul searching kiss. She was looking forward to more later.

Her eyes flickered in distaste as she saw Angel smile at her in what was a poor attempt to be friendly. She was not fooled. For all his attempts to be pleasant and well mannered, there was something secretive and condescending about him. Buffy tried to stifle the urge to walk over and punch him in the nose. She was sure that he deserved it, even if he had done nothing to her since they arrived.

Taking a deep breath, Buffy walked over towards the two men who in one way or another held her new world together. Angel, now her leader and misguided ally and Spike, who she hoped would become a lover. It was a far better combination then the one she left behind in Los Angeles.

“What you doing” she asked, seating herself in Spike’s lap. The blood red of the couches was fairly gross after all the red she had seen painting Parker’s face. Which you put there she reminded herself. You did it.

“Pet?” Spike had taken her hand and was now stroking a thumb across it absently. She hadn’t even noticed.

“Mmm?”

“What do you think about learning to fight and handle a gun?”

Buffy’s hazel eyes widened, wanting to know he was serious before agreeing. Spike wouldn’t humor her would he?

“Do you mean real training which I can use or just showy stuff?”

Spike shot her an angry mood, upset that she would accuse him of babying her. “Of course I mean real training Buffy” he retorted. “What do you take me for? A jailor?”


She wrapped both arms around his unyielding frame. “I’m sorry Spike. I just… no one has ever bothered to teach me how to take care of myself. They normally just take on the responsibility of defending me themselves.”

Spike squeezed her hand, not knowing whether it was acceptable to ask about her past yet. The whole thing was a sodding mystery and all the offhanded comments did no good. I’ll need to ask Masters a thing or two when we go to LA.

“I just want you to feel safer Buffy. I swear on every bone in my body, living or undead that’ll I do my best to look after you until the end of the world but I won’t always be there. Besides this way I can see you all hot and sweaty and-“

“I’m still sitting here Spike” interjected Angel in irritation.

Both blonds shared a glance, silently agreeing to continue the rather interesting conversation in their room. Sighing inwardly Buffy realised that she should probably talk to the brooding leader. After all I am living under his roof.

“How did you get this place anyway? Last time I checked eighteen year olds weren’t wealthy enough to own a mansion.”

Angel laughed, glad that she was finally paying attention to him. “Normally they aren’t but my folks are fairly generous when they want to get rid of you.” He waved off the pitying look that Buffy was unwittingly giving him. “I’m perfectly happy about the arrangement Summers. Don’t worry… They moved to Boca, Florida of all places cause of the retirement villages and are happy there as far as I know.”

“As far as you know?”

Spike answered for Angel knowing that the abandonment of his family was still a sore spot. It was part of the reason he had first created the gang. They cared for him, well and truly beyond a legal sense. “A lot of the members here have parents who are shall we say busy.”

“Oh” replied Buffy quietly. “I can understand that.”

Spike nodded, hugging her frame closer. He’d have to get some of the men to go by the house later and see if they couldn’t put Joyce in a clinic. The bird was mad as a hatter but she was still Buffy’s mum. “I’m the only one who practically has anything remote to parenting and well Ripper and me are out of sorts so…”

“So you live here.” Buffy suddenly understood how this ‘family’ could be so closely bonded. “But what about Cordelia? She lives with her family.”

Angel brushed his face in a frustrated gesture. Just thinking about Cordy had him ready to throw a fit. “Cordy was given the option but since she’s ‘unsure about our relationship and the lifestyle I lead’” quoted Angel in a falsetto voice “she won’t move in. I don’t think we’ll last much longer” he admitted softly.

The room fell silent for a moment before Angel jumped up briskly, his face carefully masked. “Be ready for the pickup tomorrow night Spike” he said commandingly.

Buffy watched him stride out of the room, turning her head in confusion to look at Spike. “What was that about?”

Spike sighed, ruffling his hair and wishing that he could escape this whole conversation. “IhavetogopickupParker’ssupply” he mumbled.

The gentle smile Buffy had worn previously was quickly replaced for that of a thundercloud. “Drugs?” she asked in a far too calm voice.

The Brit shook his head. “That’s next Wednesday… tomorrow its new weapons.”

Getting off Spike’s lap in order to maintain her composure, Buffy took several steps back. “What are they for?” Her arms crossed against her chest, drawing Spike’s attention to her breasts.

“Wha?” he asked dazedly. All he could think about when entering the house was thoughts of Buffy and what she would taste like, feel like, look like. Noticing the rage which threatened to spill forth at any second Spike remembered the conversation. “Oh the weapons... They’re for us luv.”

Suddenly the calm composure Buffy had been practicing broke. Completely. “They can’t be for the gang!” she yelled. “That would mean that you’re planning to get in a fight with the Initiative….” her voice faltered at the intent gaze Spike was giving her, not willing to hide their plans from her, but not ashamed. “Spike no, you can’t fight. It’s not safe. You’ll get hurt.”

Spike stood up, his arms holding her back as she moved closer to him. “I have to Buffy. These people are my life and my future. Without them, I would be bloody well dead.”

“But it’s a waste Spike! You shouldn’t have to fight over some stupid piece of land or anything else for that matter.” Her chest was seizing up at just the thought of Spike being involved in something like that. There was a very likely chance he could die.

“I fought for you Buffy” said Spike, not wanting to give in to the chit. “Was it a waste to protect you in that alleyway?” He waited a moment for her answer, lips smirking bitterly at the silence. “I didn’t bloody well think so. Parker is going to get worse luv and we have to be prepared and if needs be take it to the wanker. Angel gives the marching orders and-“

“And you ask where to” spat Buffy feeling absolutely sick to her stomach. “Don’t use me as an excuse for dieing Spike” retorted Buffy. Ripping herself out of the steel hands which held her, she ran up the stairs, slamming the door with a crash.

Spike stared at the floor, knowing that he should go up there and console her but unwilling to bend. It’s not like I have a bleeding choice he reasoned. Silly bint doesn’t understand that you have to do certain things in order to get respect and protect what’s yours. The Brit felt his heart twinge guiltily as he thought of her hurt expression. Maybe she did care for him. “ Yeah and maybe my name is bloody Elmo” muttered Spike, shouldering on his black duster. Better not to think about it and get smashed. The bleached blond grabbed his keys before stalking out the door. All these emotions were getting to him.

***

Riley watched Spike leave with glee knowing that this was his chance to finally speak to Buffy. The Brit had been around her constantly since he had first caught a glimpse at her and Riley relished the opportunity of maybe setting his own mark. Perhaps, Buffy wasn’t so happy being Spike’s girl after all.

The hulking man placed himself in the kitchen knowing that sooner or later she would be hungry and come downstairs. All he had to do was bide his time.