Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry for the long hiatus between updates. My next exam is not till next week so I will be posting like mad. Thankyou to everyone who reviewed and continues to read this even though I know no one was happy about last chapter. In that regard all I have to say is have faith in the ship. There will be plenty of dark turns ahead but it is ultimately a Spuffy story, one which will definately not end in a storm of tears and unhappy endings. I wouldn't be able to write it. That said, hope you enjoy and please review, they are my favourite form of study notes.
Buffy found out quickly that Jacob was by nature a very quiet man, not given to long speeches or bravado which Angel excelled at. He was almost a mime, nodding at gang members and comrades but never opening his mouth except to whisper a joke to Buffy. His attention was focused on her all the way down to the kitchen.

An odd way of being friendly, but Buffy was glad for the company. Spike had still not come out of his room.

Despite his odd preoccupation with her, Buffy noticed that he held himself with an assured grace, an almost dark knowledge of his own abilities.

To be quite blunt: Jacob was an anomaly.

She had gone down with him to the main floor before quickly hurrying out of the kitchen, leaving him behind to gather what breakfast he desired. The events of last night were all too recent to venture into such area. The baggy sweater which had been purchased from a backyard sale for a joke was quickly becoming the petite blonde’s favourite piece of clothing, shielding her from enquiring stares.

Everyone knew of what had taken place with Finn.

It was a weird feeling, sitting on the same couch as she had before, and noticing that for all the knowing glances which snuck across the dark carpet no one said a word about Captain Cardboard. It’s like a giant pink elephant. Buffy closed her eyes, glad that no comments had been made in her direction and that they bothered to hide their thoughts. It had been pure torture listening to Harmony and her minions discuss her clothes and make snide comments only a few feet away. It surprised her that the gang didn’t before she remembered that here she had position, even if it only came from being wanted by Spike.

Buffy looked at the staircase openly, wondering what was taking him so long. His hangover can’t be that bad… could it?

She started to move off the couch before hearing Angel’s deep voice fill the room.

“Everyone if I could have your attention!”

Buffy swiveled her head towards her ‘leader’, not noticing as Jacob sat down beside her.

Angel looked nothing like the criminal he was.

The brunette was clad in a white T shirt, its colour making his skin appear all the more paler. His waist was clad with a large belt, the holster for his gun thankfully empty. He practically shone in a room full of people dressed head to toe in black or strong earthy colours.

Her hazel eyes stared at him, a sick feeling rising up through her stomach. Something was going to happen and by the smiles of anticipation which began to sweep like a wave across the room’s occupants, it would be soon. She brushed an errant lock from her face, completely unaware to the shy way Jacob followed it with his eyes. The man was far enough away to be decent but it was obvious that he was nothing if not elated at the Brit’s absence.

Angel opened his mouth to speak yet closed it shut in annoyance when seeing his second command lurk on the fringes of the room. What on earth is he doing? Angel wondered. His brow furrowed comically, a brooding expression settling on his face as he regarded where the Brit’s eyes were fixed on.

Buffy.

And not just Buffy, but Jacob as well.

The Irishman had returned the night before from a checkup on his boy Connor, but not everyone had been happy with his homecoming. The man was not safe. Not open with the men and kept to himself in a manner which even Spike thought was shifty. Perhaps it was his quiet decorum or the fact that he never took part in simply communal outings but for Angel the most damning piece of evidence had been his close association with Masters, and not only Masters but his lackey Ford. Billy Fordham . Angel knew enough of the older man to see him for what he was: a backstabbing liar with goody two shoes looks and a smile that would make you grin back as he sold you to the devil.

Something was definitely wrong if Jacob was near Buffy.

Angel struggled to hold back the sigh which was desperately seeking its way out. Everything was becoming far too complicated and he didn’t know whether this whole thing with Summers would blow up in their faces. Angel took another glance at Spike, hating the pain which raced across his face. He’d talk to the girl himself if there was even a chance of breaking the Brit’s heart. Spike was already too involved with the girl as it was. I need to have a word with him.

He waited a moment, hoping that Spike would keep out of sight and let him get on with the sentence. It would be hard enough to deal with Cordelia let alone having Spike snap Jacob right in front of the gang.

“Riley Finn has transgressed and attempted to hurt a woman and in doing so attacked us all.” Angel’s tone was cold and heartless, the man having no respect for anyone who went after another’s woman. Even if Buffy is absolutely beautiful.

A small murmur of acknowledgement echoed through the gang. No one would stop the punishment even if it ended in the farmer’s death. They had all been warned when the blond arrived, Finn privately and if he was stupid enough to try something like that then he deserved whatever Angel decided to dish out.

No one envied Finn’s position.

“I am a fair leader. I’ve told you all that your relationships are your business but there are things I won’t allow. Rape or attempted being one of them.” Angel focused his gaze on Buffy, sending a silent message of warning to Jacob who had been staring at her rather then Angel. “Did you encourage him Summers?”

Buffy wanted to slap Angel for even asking the question but guessed that it was for the benefit of everyone who had not witnessed the incident. “Of course not, why would I Angel?”

The brunette held up his hands, unsurprised by her venomous response. “Just asking Buffy” he said soothingly. “We need to make sure that Finn is guilty” he made a pacifying gesture in order to ward off any potential kicks to the shins “and we have Summers.” Angel fought the urge to rub his shin, her punishing kick not forgotten.

Spike caught the movement, a smirk rising to his lips even as Jacob scooted closer to his girl. He had lingered in the shadows just watching her, loving the way her messy ponytail trailed down her back and the grace with which she moved. Everything about her was perfect. So much more than he ever could deserve. Spike swallowed the lump in his throat, hating himself with every passing moment.

Thank the gods she doesn’t know.

It had hit Spike the second he caught sight of Buffy what exactly had transpired last night. Her body was now open to him, her rising chest mapped out in his mind even if he had been too smashed to remember it earlier. The Brit felt awe run through him at what else had been revealed. Her gentle hands, the soft sighs, every single gasp was on constant replay, shifting the hammers to the back of his head and making Spike want to run into the room and drag her to her feet. His heavy combat boots began to sneak forward but he stopped them.

Gazing at Buffy he could see the truth of their situation, the bloody colour of the couches doing nothing to taint her appearance. She was all pure sunlight and he…

I’m nothing but a sodding gangster. The thought made him grimace. I’ll never be able to give her anything decent. Only blood and violence. His eyes ran over her form, unwilling to blink or look away.

He was dragging her down.

Spike cast azure eyes to his leader and thorn in the side, Angelus, not liking the way the poofter was standing. There was something calculating about it. An idea which didn’t sit well with the bleached blond considering that his wanker of a leader couldn’t carry through a plan if he had the help of Satan himself.

Bloody poof is probably shaking in his sodding boots thought Spike darkly, knowing that Angel worried about the slightest thing. The big brooding git.

He had to clench his fists from going over to where Buffy sat and ripping Jacob away from her. He knew that the Irishman might be just acting friendly but his gut told him different. Either that or the alcohol was still playing with his system. Spike forced himself to lean against the doorway, confused about his next plan of action and more than anything else what Angel had planned. Whenever someone committed an unacceptable offence they offed them, pure and simple. What his leader was calling for promised to be a bloody and barbaric act. Perhaps, a warning what with Parker sniffing so close.

The clanging sound of the holding door being shut and the scuffled sounds which sounded awfully like a body being dragged, snapped the Brit from his thoughts. He’d have to deal with his own problems later.

A few minutes later, Finn was hauled into the room, his face still coated in blood and unable to do more than lift his arms and swipe weakly at his captors. The man had been well and truly broken. Some of the gang members aware of his presence, raised enquiring eyebrows, shocked at the obvious viciousness of Spike’s attack.

He pointed back to the chained man and mouthed ‘watch’.

Angel kicked Riley in the stomach, holding back the grin which threatened to spill forth when he groaned in pain. He would make this something nobody would ever forget. And they’ll never consider touching Buffy or any of the women again unbidden.

“Unchain him Gunn.”

Gunn, a street fighter in LA, nodded hating the stench of blood which surrounded the farm boy. Finn was a hick at heart but he’d never thought that someone could stoop so low. Going after Spike’s girl only proved how stupid Riley really was. He took them off carefully, deep brown eyes hard but wishing that Angel would go easy. Spike had already more than decimated the man.

Riley never said a word, wheezing in great breaths and lying incredibly still.

Angel knelt down, his empty gun holster sitting provocatively near Finn’s face and grinned at Spike with deadly menace. “I guess you already punished him Will?”

All eyes turned to Spike, the drunk stumbling man from the night before replaced with could almost be a demon, his face solemn as though set in stone. The Brit dragged a cigarette from his Marlboro pack, noticing the grimace which crossed Buffy’s face and silently vowing to quit after the pack was finished. His zippo lighter flickered with flame a second later and Spike dragged the nicotine down his throat. “I bloody well hope so Peaches. I don’t know how much more I could punish the bloke after seeing him in the harsh light of day.” He flicked the ash onto the floor, winking at Buffy in what he hoped was a comforting signal. “Certainly can’t call Captain Cardboard G.I. Joe anymore; I ruined all his strikingly bland good looks.”

Angel nodded in approval though secretly he had hoped Spike would demand a killing. The carpet had been stained before and it would fit with the couches regardless. He grasped the collar of Riley’s shirt, hauling him up to his feet and snickering darkly when the man crumpled once more. Spike really had destroyed him.

Opening his arms wide, Angel ignored the stricken looks on the faces of Cordelia and Buffy, knowing that they would have to accept this. “What shall we do with him?” he asked.

A deadly chant rose into the air, the soft murmuring of “kill” rising to a crescendo as Angel waited.

Buffy felt like she was going to be sick. Jacob had joined in with the others, his hand resting lightly on her shoulder and making her skin crawl. His lips, plush and soft, whispered the words, a sibilant hiss leaving his mouth. The fact that he was joining in at all had the petite blond want to run from the room. She tried to do so, before noticing the warning shake of Spike’s head. His eyes had never strayed from her, connecting with her even as Angel once more lifted Riley up before flicking out a blade. She wanted to stop looking, shut her eyes or run from the room but the light blue held her, keeping her safe when the first true cry of pain tore through the air.

Jacob was watching avidly, his hand now playing with her ponytail and sentences falling from his mouth of ‘isn’t this great’ and ‘finally Finn get’s what he deserves.’

Another scream flew from Riley’s mouth, tearing into Buffy’s heart and causing tears to stream down her face.

“That’s enough Angel.” Spike barked the command, taking all attention onto himself so they would ignore Buffy’s shaking frame. If they thought for one second that she pitied the Captain then she would be fair game and there would be nothing Spike could do against thirty odd people.

The brunette looked up from his toy, Riley’s shirt torn open and deep gashes riddling his chest. He absolutely loved it.

“You have a better idea William?” Angel tossed the knife to Spike, stepping back and letting Finn fall uselessly to the floor. Everyone was surprised that the Brit had interrupted.

“As a matter of fact I do.” Spike’s hands, washed clean of the grime and blood from last night, quickly became soaked as he reached for Finn. He held him on either side of his chest, pitying the poor bastard even as he felt the urge to slit his throat. The pillock had been after Buffy. “Finn’s no good to us dead but he could be useful if alive.” Spike kept his tone light, berating himself for saving the pillock but knowing that anything else would destroy Buffy. He couldn’t have the death of a man litter her hands. Spike knew its weight and despite being justified when he killed, knew it never left.

“Finn didn’t think of this on his own.” Spike roughly grasped his chin, shuddering at the mangled mess that was Riley’s face. “You had help didn’t you mate?” The broken nod raised a gasp from the room in surprise. Spike moved one of his hands, calling for silence. “It was Parker wasn’t it you stupid git?” The broken agreement elicited more surprise from the gang. Spike let him fall back, not even flinching as Riley’s body made a sickening crack upon hitting the floor. “I say that we take him with us tonight Peaches and let Parker have a look at what we do to traitors. See if that don’t spark the fucking wanker’s interest.”

A chorus of approval met Spike’s suggestion, forcing Angel to agree. “If everyone accepts that proposal then I guess I must as well.” He patted Spike on the back, more of a stinging blow but not uncommon. “Good thinking Will.”

Spike didn’t bother to glance at Riley, nodding at his leader before striding directly over to Buffy. He opened his mouth to say something, buggered if he knew what when she threw herself into his arms, whispering ‘thankyous’ and soft declarations of love that made him want to melt.

How could he not trust her?

He wrapped his arms around her, lifting her higher and more firmly into his embrace before stalking out of the room and back up the stairs.

Nothing would make him forget this time.