Author's Chapter Notes:
thankyou for the lovely reviews blondiebear, secret guest and turnedbyspike. I was surprised by the interest and hope that this story will deviate from the regular plot structure.
The bathroom mirror glinted harshly at her, florescent lights reflecting her disheveled appearance. Buffy was thankful that she was alone, for once not having to listen to Cecily or any other of her group comment on her makeup which was now smudged. The mascara she had applied that morning in an attempt to catch Spike’s attention now ringed her eyes like a makeover gone wrong. Golden hair, streaked with rich browns and bronze hung around her face like a curtain shielding her away from any who could walk in and most of all from the mirror.

In LA girls had obsessed about their appearance, even to the point of skipping lunch but in Sunnydale it took on a new meaning. The first time she had met Cordelia had been in front of this very mirror, the brunette crying her eyes out. Back then Angel had not once glanced in her direction and Cordelia had seen no reason why he wouldn’t. Buffy hadn’t either.

Cordelia put new meaning to the terms ‘drop dead gorgeous’, thick chocolate waves falling down her back. The newest fashions always graced her wardrobe and now more often then not, another girl would be accused of stealing her style. Back then though Cordelia’s self esteem had been about as existent as Buffy’s chances with Spike Giles. Buffy didn’t know whether to thank Angel for stopping Cordy’s behaviour or kill him for allowing it to occur in the first place.

Killing him still seemed like a far better option.

Sighing to herself Buffy pulled a handkerchief from her pocket before wiping away the blotchy stains on her face. Perhaps its my nose she wondered idly, or maybe its because I’m so short. Buffy’s face crumpled for a moment before she shook her head in frustration. There was absolutely no good reason whatsoever for her to be obsessing about what some guy thought of her, particularly if it led to crying in the bathroom. She wasn’t Cordelia. And therefore, asserted Buffy determinedly, should not be acting like her. Chin jutting out in resolve, Buffy began to walk towards the exit of the bathroom, not noticing the hard chest she crashed into.

The sight of the Summers girl landing flat on her ass caused Angel to chuckle for a moment before he hid his smile. He had left the cafeteria in a fine mood, catching the sight of Buff’s skirt just before she disappeared into the girl’s bathroom. He had planned to go in there and simply start kissing the girl, whether she liked it or not but was finding that the idea of seducing her would be a whole lot more enjoyable. Just imagine Will’s face when he sees her with me

Unable to stop a slight chuckle, Angel grasped one of Buffy’s small hands in his, hauling her up with force. “Are you alright?” he asked. The permanent scowl which commonly graced his features was now hidden behind a smile, all the more odd looking because of its rarity.

Buffy stared at him in shock. what on earth is Angel doing in here? Particularly when I’m alone? Buffy’s eyes went wide as she suddenly realised what Angel had in mind. Before Cordelia had been officially recognised as Angel’s they had met in the bathroom for what he called ‘trials’. Cordelia had always waited early for him, obsessing over her makeup in the mirror. The same mirror which now reflected back both her image and Angel’s.

This can’t be good

“Look Angel, Cordelia isn’t here right now so if you would just-“

The rest of Buffy’s sentence was cut off as Angel placed his hand across her mouth rather abruptly.

“I didn’t come here for Cordelia Buffy.”

Angel pushed his way closer to the blond knowing full well that if Spike found out what he was doing, the Brit would have his head.

Forcing his way until there was barely an inch between them, Angel wrapped his other arm around Buffy’s shaking frame, completely oblivious to her terror. He had to bend down when talking to her, nonchalantly noticing that Buffy’s hazel eyes were wide with fear.

It didn’t bother him.

“I just wanted to talk to you Summers. You see” Angel leant one shoulder against the cubicle he had forced them into, “I’ve never talked to you and its come to my attention that maybe I should have. Cordelia thinks you’re a nice enough girl and sometimes Darla gets a bit much and I was wondering…”

“OUCH!”

Angel sprang away from Buffy faster than lightning, clutching his bitten hand.

“That will teach you to try and smother me in a bathroom you prick!” Buffy had been struggling against Angel’s hand for a full minute when she heard Angel start on about Cordelia. There was no way she was going to let herself be trapped in the same situation, particularly not with a guy that barged into a girl’s bathroom no less and then came onto her. The whole thing was ridiculous. His hand had stunk of weed and motor grease and even after ridding herself of the offending instrument could still scent it. Biting his hand had been a gross but necessary choice.

Now though, Angel was looking far more than annoyed and causing Buffy to get the uneasy feeling that perhaps she should have been more discreet in her rejection.

Angel towered above her, the top of her head barely reaching past the middle of his torso. When she had first arrived as a new student Angel had seemed mysterious and brooding. That mystery had quickly turned to loathing when she realised exactly the type of person Angel could be.

His heavy brow was lined deep in anger as he stared down at her and Buffy began to truly wonder whether anyone would come in time to stop him… that and the worse fear of someone entering and doing nothing about it. The unbitten hand of Angel’s began to clench in frustration, and Buffy steeled herself for the blow. She had been through this before.

She closed her eyes and waited, trying hard not to flinch.

Why won’t he just get it over with? Buffy opened one eye slowly, peering up at her would be attacker in confusion. Where anger had covered his face before, now only anguish and embarrassment did.

“Jesus Buffy, what’s happened to you?”

The question hung in the air for a moment whilst she chose to ignore it. She would never tell anyone like Angel about her issues. The guy already could ruin her reputation just by being alone with her like this. Buffy sighed, thinking of Cordy and the almost guaranteed phone call which would grace her line tonight. Once Angel got you alone, no one believed that nothing happened.

A click of Angel’s fingers in front of her face snapped Buffy out of her daze.

“I’m sorry if I went about this the wrong way Summers” said Angel gruffly. The large man held his head down now as though finally feeling some shame over the way he acted. “I honestly would never have laid a hand on you if I didn’t think you wanted it at least a little bit.” The smirk died on his face as Buffy glared at him. Backing away Angel held both hands up in a sign of defeat. “I would never hit a girl though, no matter the circumstance. I’m sorry I misinterpreted you.”

Buffy gaped at him for a minute, completely amazed that even after intimidating her he had the nerve to say she was leading him on. She took a step forward as though to kick him and really make the bastard sorry before realising just who it was she was dealing with. Angel could make not just her life but Willow’s and Amy’s incredibly painful. If he thought that her biting him was a given invitation then who knew where he would draw the line? All she had was Joyce and a few girls who all had their own issues. There was very little that Angel couldn’t get away with.

At least he’s further away though. That was far too close Summers

Wiping a hand across her eyes, Buffy plopped herself down onto the seat, ignoring Angel’s last comment as she began to cry.

Why did they keep coming after her?