Author's Chapter Notes:
GHOSTS IS COMING UP NEXT!!!!!
“Riley just called.”

Xander walked with confidence into Adam’s room, knowing that his leader would want to hear the news. A button down shirt hung loosely off him, blue jeans making the man appear almost kind. Despite this, no covering hid the deformed eye socket that was all that was left of his left eye. Within the house Xander didn’t bother wearing the goofy pirate like cloth, he figured that the other gangsters should be able to deal with it, most having rather vicious knife scars themselves.

“He sounded pretty bad.”

Adam lifted his gaze to his second in command. Riley was a useless oaf of a younger brother, trailing behind his footsteps after their parents decided that they could not tolerate either of their sons’ behaviour. Where Adam remained stoic and deliberate in his gain of power Riley had become nothing more than a pawn. One which now suffered at Abram’s hands.

“Define bad.”

“Gurgling in the background, either a crushed lung or broken ribs but not any hint of major disfigurement…” Xander paused for a moment, unconsciously brushing a hand against the tortured skin just below his brow. “I think that someone stopped Deadboy before he could carve him up properly.”

“What does Parker want in return for the fool’s safety?” Adam regretted not sending Riley back home however now that option was too late. Once I get him back, I’m going to beat the idiot senseless… Getting caught by Parker, how fucking pathetic can you get?

“To talk but I don’t believe that for a second” replied Xander darkly. “I think he’s still wet around the collar for the Summers girl. Probably just wants a quick fuck. He’s too stupid to realise her importance.”

“You didn’t either until Hank reappeared.”

The brunette shrugged indifferently. “I guess. It doesn’t really matter in the end right? As long as Masters gets her back then everyone will be happy. I’ll get to talk to Deadboy and you get your own rewards.”

Adam tilted his head, studying the younger man for a moment, before grinning to himself. The only reward he wanted was power. Masters would look kindly on anyone who could retrieve the blonde beauty and take her as theirs. The old man didn’t even really care as long as Hank was forced to relinquish the control he held over so many people’s affairs and assets.

Whilst Alexander Harris sought vengeance upon Aureli, Adam would be slowly forcing his way to victory.

All he had to do was possess Elizabeth Anne Summers.

“You alright?” enquired Xander with just a hint of nervousness.

Adam smiled, forcing his face into an expression that was difficult to manage. He never did deal well with human emotions. “I’m fine boy. Just thinking.”

“I guess I’ll tell Parker that we’ll talk then?”

“Yes” he answered simply, not wanting to bother himself anymore with thoughts of a bleeding and maimed Riley. “Make sure that you call that little red head of yours also… Willow I think her name is.”

For a moment Xander paled, it was never a good thing for Adam to know about outside connections. They were all too often eliminated. “Will do sir.” he answered before striding back out.

The man struggled to hold back his fears that everything would soon spiral out of control, with his crush becoming a casualty in the process.

I’m so sorry Willow.

***
He entered the room first, shoving the door open as soon as it was unlocked. His hands seemed to be permanently in a state of seizure, wrenching at the lapels of his duster or gripping the car wheel with a frightening intensity. The bleached locks which normally were slicked back, had been quickly ruffled in frustration as Spike turned to regard her during the ride home.

His mouth would open, gaping at her uselessly, before he’d grit his teeth once more and focus back on the road.

And now, despite the awkward silence which surrounded them, Spike still refused to say a word.

In her heart Buffy knew that he had every right to act this way. She’d felt exactly the same after Faith’s little declaration that her lover had slept with the tart. The tormented gaze azure eyes bestowed on her were blatant in their belief.

He feels like I’ve betrayed him.

Her inner voice piped up quickly, as though all her precious reasons for hiding the truth had vanished. You have Summers. You might as well have lied to him for all the half truths and omissions.

“Since when did you become a Masters?” Spike pulled off the duster, laying it on her side of the bed and seating himself next to it. The action, though unconscious was clear. Buffy was the one in the spotlight and the Brit was not letting her go near him until she talked.

Completely.

“Since he adopted me” answered Buffy softly. She knew that this would destroy their relationship. Spike had wanted a normal girl without the stress of having the entire west coast and the British mafia on his tail. Buffy was certain that she could never be that type of person for him. Not with her past and certainly not now.

“You’re fucking kidding me.” Spike gaped at her the same way a kid would at Santa Claus: a mixture of awe and also shock.

Buffy only shook her head sadly. “I’m not… My dad thought it would be best if Masters had legal rights in case anything happened.”

Silence filled the room once more as Spike struggled to take this information in. Buffy was a dangerous to all of them, simply by having that last name. The bat faced git only gave that title to those who earned it with buckets of blood or those invaluable to his operations. Buffy only fitted into the second category.

He looked at her hard, taking off the mental rose colored glasses and shrugging away his own feelings.

She had lied to him. Deliberately hidden facts about herself that in the wrong hands could get them all killed. Gazing at the hard eyed expression and firm set of her lips, she was all too aware of her deception.

Probably was going to hide it for sodding ever. Spike’s hands clenched in useless rage. He would never let Peaches harm her but the whole thing still ripped at his soul. He’d opened himself to her – only slightly – but obviously a mistake. What was the point of being with someone if they kept all these bleeding secrets.

“I don’t know anything about you… do I?” asked Spike, his voice hauntingly broken.

Buffy made to move herself closer, desperate for his touch but halted at the firm shake.

He doesn’t want me near him…

“You know some things” she offered with a teasing grin, hoping to lighten the mood. “You know that I only eat Captain Crunch for breakfast, sushi pajamas are my favourite and I can’t stand most of your music.,. That I like to watch Veronica Mars and have done the Snoopy Dance on occasion with Willow.” Buffy stared at his feet, unable to look at him in the face and see his disappointment.

“And the rest? Your entire life in I’m assuming LA? When were you going to let me in on all of that?”

“Never.” said Buffy calmly. I’m not going to lie to him anymore.

“Well ain’t that just bloody perfect! We all take you in, share ourselves with you, sodding shoot up some of Parker’s men and this is how you repay us. Couldn’t even summon up the bleeding courage to be honest.” Spike didn’t bother hiding the sarcasm which coated his speech. “Thanks ever so Elizabeth.”

“Stop acting like this is about the gang! This is about us ; how nothing ever is expressed. How could I talk about my past when you won’t even share yours?” Buffy willed away the tears which threatened, knowing that Spike was trying to dodge around the issue which hung like a dark cloud above them. Honesty.

“I did, you stupid bint!”

“You mean you tried”, corrected Buffy coldly. “I had to hear from Jacob about yet another girl who you’ve been with.”

Spike rolled his eyes, pacing the floor and itching for a cigarette. He’d told Angel that he would find out the truth but he’d buggered if it wasn’t ripping him to shreds knowing that everything about Buffy had been a façade. That she didn’t trust him.

“And who would that be? The wanker could’ve told you about my obsession with Passions and you would take it as me holding back a great secret. Can’t you see that the git wants you?”

“At least he’s open about it” Buffy retorted. “You won’t even say the words and let’s not forget that I simply belong to you! I’m not your girlfriend or a mistress I’m simply yours. How do you think that makes me feel Spike?”

“Are you trying to tell me that you aren’t mine Summers, ‘cause I would tread carefully. In the eyes of everyone in this sodding town and LA you fulfill every role that there is. Marriage isn't a common thing amongst my kind but our relationship might as well be called that.” Spike turned to face her, entering her personal space until her lips were inches away from his own. “I’d kill for you without blinking Buffy. No one else holds anywhere near the same importance to me. You’re mine, body and soul. I only wish it was the mind also.”

“I wanted to be.”

The soft confession nearly broke Spike’s resolve to let the whole issue go and simply hold her. He desperately wanted to forget that extra to her name. It would be so much simpler to just think of her as a normal girl. So much bloody easier, but it’d still be a lie.

Buffy’s hand on his chest broke through the Brit’s thoughts, full lips pursing as he regarded her. “I’ll talk if you do Summers.”

“About Drusilla?” she countered.

Spike nodded numbly, wanting to punch the Irishman’s face into the ground for ever mentioning that bitch. “Even Dru” he muttered softly. His eyes wandered after the petite blonde who could reduce him to nothing as she walked over to their bed and lifted the mattress. Underneath he could see at least a dozen small diaries, each bulging with scribed pages.

“Buffy? What are those?”

Long blonde hair spun as she faced him, hands methodically dumping the journals to the floor. “Before you read these, you have to know I did it for a good reason… I wanted to forget about that world and also to protect you. My life and what I represent is incredibly important to people that you can’t stand up to Spike; people that carry so much power that Angel and Parker seem like nothing. Hank sent me and Joyce away in order to gain some of that power for himself. I thought that we could remain in hiding forever, but it looks like that will be impossible now…” Buffy sighed, picking out the very first diary that she had ever started to write in. She passed it to Spike’s hands which shook with what could only be apprehension. “I didn’t want things to change.”

Spike made no move to acknowledge her words, instead staring down at the battered cover.

Something inside told him that their relationship would be changed forever.

Buffy sat down on the bed, drawing her knees up onto her chest as slowly Spike took his place beside her. A bitter smile tinged his lips at the childish writing until he started to read the actual words.

We are so buggered…

....................................................................................................
A/N: Please don't kill me for yet another cliffhanger. Ghosts 1 and 2 are so detailed and works in progress that I feel like it is far better both plot wise and structually to separate them. Thank you to everyyone who continues to read and review this story. When I saw all the comments I broke into a happy dance. I will not be forgetting about other areas of the plot such as Cordelia, Willow, Joyce and Jacob just to name a few, There is still much more to get through. Hopefully everyone is slightly pleased that Spike and Buffy are working out 'some' of their issues.

Thank you to everyone.
Will.