Author's Chapter Notes:
I really enjoyed writing this chapter but I can't guarantee any heavy full blown Spuffy instantly. There are numerous boundaries to move past first, the least not being Angel. A MASSIVE THANKYOU TO EVERYONE WHO REVIEWED. YOU HAVE MADE MY DAY!
For the next few days all Buffy could do was stare at Spike. Part of her was hoping desperately that the bathroom incident had been a figment of her imagination, Angel being someone she’d like to forget in a heart beat. However in opposition there was the memory of Spike wrapping his arms around her and whispering in her ear.

If only he’d do it again.

She knew something had transpired between Angel and Spike when the glowering brunette had come to school the next day with a bandaged nose. The whole cafeteria had buzzed with it and the possible repercussions however things went on as normal. Spike even patting his leader on the back after a particularly nasty joke on a geek called Andrew.

Everyone resumed their normal routine all except for Buffy. The petite blond had run from class to class anxiously, wanting to be the first to lunch in case Spike wanted to talk to her.

He never did though.

Every time Buffy had tried to catch his eye, Spike would dart away, causing her to feel completely miserable. More often than not, his head was cast down, Harmony taking every chance she could to touch him. Buffy had overheard her telling the other girls about her ‘blondie bear’s commitment issues’ and run from the scene in disgust.

She was about to give up on the whole thing altogether and let Amy finally have a go when once more Angel approached her. This time in the main hallway which Buffy was more than thankful for.

Cordelia had indeed ended up ringing her about the bathroom incident, crying her eyes out and swearing like a sailor. Unfortunately she blamed Buffy, unwilling to cast any blame on her boyfriend and risk losing his attention.

Needless to say Buffy wasn’t happy when Angel decided to talk to her again.

***

Angel had already known that Will liked the girl but the beating which was served proved beyond a doubt that Buffy Summers was more than just a good lay waiting to be had.

She was revenge material.

If Angel was a good friend he would have left the whole situation alone and gone about his merry way with the three or more girls he had trailing along. Unfortunately he wasn’t… or at least not when it came to asserting his dominance.

Besides, the Brit had stayed away from her all week like he was evading the plague. Probably worried about getting her mixed up in something she couldn’t handle.

The brunette smirked.

He had never had a problem with dragging girls into the world he lived in. Angel figured that it was their prerogative to evade him if they didn’t like the people he hanged with. Not that it was easy by any means to escape Angel once he decided you were an ‘Aurelius girl’. He still told them in the end, even took one or two to LA to see what ‘The Master’ thought of them but by then they were already considered his to everyone else. Any guy with a brain wouldn’t consider dating them unless he had serious backup. A welcome relief to many of his women, particularly Cordelia. The Harris kid wouldn’t touch her with a ten foot pole now.

Darla had been his first ‘supporter’ and had known well and truly before they got involved of the risks. She also understood the type of relationship they would have and just like all the others after her accepted it without any qualms. Cordelia was the only one who would become upset with him and it happened on such a routine basis that Angel could simply ignore her and wait for the cheerleader to get over it.

Watching Summers though, made him wonder whether the fiery blond would be so accepting. It had shocked the hell out of him when the small girl had bit his hand, never before being rejected after he made his intentions clear. And rather than angering him it only made Angel want her more.

He could never really consider Darla or Cordelia as prime material, and the other girls even less so but with Buffy… now there was potential.

With Buffy he could finally proclaim himself to the larger gang leaders in LA as something besides a high school wannabe. If he had such a beautiful girl on his arm, who obviously could handle herself… then others wouldn’t be able to help immediately respecting him. Not to mention the anguish which would paint Spike’s face if he could convince Buffy to date him.

No doubt Will wanted to keep her as far away from Parker and his gang as he could, something which Angel could agree with except for the fact that it was impossible. Already, contacts outside of school had informed Angel of the rival leader’s interest and it wouldn’t be too long before ‘The Initiative’ ventured on to Sunnydale turf. If Angel didn’t claim her then the girl would undoubtedly be taken by Parker.

And then all hell would break loose.

The last war over Dru had been epic in proportions, the hospital overflowing with wounded gang members. Spike had been right in the thick of it whirling a chain and fighting with his bare hands. Angel could remember the sickening thuds as Spike like a titan had kicked and punched his way closer to Dru. The lean form of Parker though had stepped in his way, causing Spike to charge recklessly.

It nearly cost him his life.

Parker was no fool in a fight and seeing the charge, quickly stepped to the side swinging a heavy pipe into Spike’s ribs. The force of the blow snapped one instantly and nearly shattered another, causing the bleached blond to double over in pain. Angel had stopped Parker from delivering a killing blow across Will’s head but not before Abrams split an eyebrow open, blood pouring onto the ground. Spike had been knocked out for over six hours before finally awaking and by that time Parker had already fled.

When Spike woke to find Angel at his hospital bed, with corny balloons in tow, the Brit finally accepted him as leader. He took the honorable blood oath in a stinking alley as soon as he was discharged.

And as far as Angel was concerned that was it. Even if Spike pushed Angel to the ends of his limits, the brunette never doubted the Brit’s loyalty. He would trust Spike with his life and had done it countless times already.

They did keep their secrets though.

Angel did not find out till sometime afterwards of Spike’s and Parker’s private meeting which of course ended in a bloody mess. Spike despite six brand new stitches thoroughly kicking Parker’s ass before pulling out a gun. He’d only heard rumors which of course came from the opposition during interrogation but supposedly Dru had stopped him before he could pull the trigger.

Many of the gang still wondered whether Spike regretted not killing the sick bastard. As it stood, Dru was officially Abram’s property, choosing to go with Parker rather than Spike when the dust settled.

It just about killed him.

Angel didn’t want to think how him moving on the Summers girl would affect Spike but then he was the leader. And didn’t his rights come first?

Angel sighed, patting one hand over his hair to make sure the gel was still firmly in place. Yep, still there and thus looking fine as ever.

Today he wore slightly brighter clothes with a heavy leather jacket over top. It covered perfectly the hilt of his silver pistol.

You could never be too careful.

Buffy was standing next to her locker, a bundle of books clutched in her thin arms as she stared into the distance. Probably watching Spike. To confirm his suspicions Angel gazed along her eye’s path, landing directly on Spike’s slouched form.

Just perfect

Deciding to continue anyway, Angel stalked towards Buffy until he was an inch from her face.

”Can I talk to you Summers?”

Shocked hazel eyes stared at him for a moment before a look of true hatred crossed her face.

“Here’s just fine Angel” she spat.

He nodded abruptly. He may like the girl’s temper but Angel was entirely sure that he could control her. Maybe it is better to leave her for Spike he mused. He always knew what to do when Dru became trapped in one of her moods. Angel peered down at the fiery blond who’s lips were tinged a faint pink which also covered her cheeks. She was breathtaking.

Screw Spike.

“I guess I’ll get straight to the point” said Angel quietly, not wanting to draw more attention to this conversation then possible. “Everyone already thinks that something went on with us last week in the bathroom and I’m really not the adverse to making that rumor true. I like you Summers and I’m sure if you gave me a chance you would reciprocate the feelings.”

Buffy gasped at him in pure surprise. Who on earth does this guy think he is propositioning me in the middle of a crowded hallway? Does he have no morals?

Angel’s chuckle as he tried to touch her hair answered her question.

Obviously not.

“Don’t do that.” Buffy backed away from him slightly, noticing out of the corner of her eye that Spike was watching the exchange. Please come over here now. Please…

“I don’t want to be another member of your harem Angel and I find it disgusting that you would ask me in such a manner. If you can’t be satisfied with Darla and my friend Cordelia then what makes you think I’d be any different?”

“Because you are Buffy” said Angel with just a tinge of awe. “There’s no one else that has ever stood up to me, not even in preschool. You have a fire and I need that… Besides you don’t have a choice.”

“What do you mean? You can’t force me Angel!”

Angel’s reply was grim. “I don’t have to. Parker will be all over you so fast that you’ll be begging me for a second chance and you know what Summers? It will be too late then. Once Abrams gets you there is no going back.” Angel was leaning dramatically over her now, trapping Buffy in the small space between his arms. Just as she was about to try to knee him, the brunette halted his tirade, frowning in frustration.

Never turning his back, Angel addressed the angry blond which stood behind him. “What do you want Spike?”

“A sodding explanation would be nice Angel.” Spike’s face which was normally composed in either a sneer or boredom was contorted in rage. “I thought that after bashing your bloody head in you would have learned to leave the girl alone.” His eyes a brilliant blue never left Angel’s form, Spike feeling too shy to look at Buffy.

I wish it hadn’t come to this.

He had avoided Buffy on purpose, believing that if he didn’t draw attention to her, Angel would give up his pursuit.

He was utterly wrong.

Now Angel was moving in on her that much more strongly that Spike would be forced to get involved. That, or bite his lip and watch as Angel walked all over her.

To bleeding hell with that.

Stepping forward, Spike shoved Angel back from Buffy, deciding that if it came to it they would fight. He shoved his gun away from easy reach, not willing to let the situation become something too serious. Angel would back down rather than lose him over a girl.

Even if she’s bloody gorgeous thought Spike whilst staring at her.

He never noticed the punch which slammed into his head.

Falling back, Spike could barely make out his leader’s words as his head smashed against the hard floor. He struggled up again, ignoring the smarting pain and glaring at the poof.

“Is she really worth this Will?” Angel’s face was impassive trying hard to rein back the anger which clawed inside. He really desperately wanted Buffy as his.

“I’m sorry Peaches but yeah.” Spike didn’t dare take a step closer to Buffy afraid that she could get hurt if Peaches swung again.

The wanker had a piss poor aim.

Angel nodded, not needing to inform Spike of the dangers in choosing her. At least with him Parker would think twice before approaching her but with Spike and his personal history? Spike would have to be on guard at all hours of the day.

Buffy who had watched the entire sense with amazement quickly felt her patience die. If either of these two idiots thought that she would simply become theirs because of some pissing match then they were wrong. Buffy Summers was not property. And certainly not a thing which needed to be protected from this Parker guy. She was a woman and thus had rights. One of them being the right to escape fools by the names of Angel Aureli and Spike Giles.

Not waiting a further second, Buffy kicked Spike in the shin and then Angel, striding out of the school with her head held high. This whole gang thing was far overstated anyway.

Right?