Author's Chapter Notes:
forgive me for the late post. I stayed up late to write this and hopefully it satisfies your hopes. thankyou to everyone who continues to read and review this fic.
The streetlights were eerie, hanging above the sidewalk as though like markers to say how far she had run. The lights themselves, heavy tear drop bulbs reminded her of time bombs just waiting to drop.

Maybe I should have listened to him.

Buffy had fled the house with something akin to a track record, hastily dragged on clothes clinging to her body. Looking down at her tight red leather pants and the snug tank top she wondered again what had possessed her to put on these particular clothes out of all the ones in her wardrobe. In an area such as this they were not the smartest choice by a long shot. Looking around her, Buffy realised that she’d made her way to the bad side of town, rubbish strewing the streets.

Some Sunnydale she thought with contempt.

Once upon a time, the elderly had said that Sunnydale was a nice town, clean and relatively free from crime. The streets were never littered on and it was common for shops to be open till well after dark. Of course back then there had been nothing to fear.

Buffy had thought they had been joking and laughed before noticing the serious looks which graced their features. They felt that they had lost their town and scanning the stinking alleyways and lonely streets she agreed with them.

It wasn’t safe out here.

Shrugging off her hesitation, Buffy kept to the sidewalk, evading the shadows which loomed from the buildings. She was very quickly realising that this had been a terrible decision.

Her footsteps echoed on the concrete, the high heeled boots doing nothing to reinforce her security. It would be difficult to run any decent speed in them without tripping. Pausing for a moment, Buffy heard the whisper of footsteps from just behind. She turned swiftly, bracing herself for an attacker yet saw an empty footpath.

I must be hearing things.

She pivoted again, walking rapidly as once again the sound of separate footsteps echoed from behind.

Don’t look. Don’t look. Don’t look. She repeated it blindly in her head, breaking into a full blown run as the person behind her gave up trying to be stealthy and chased after her. Each motion was like her last, Buffy’s heart catching in her throat as oh so slowly her pace faltered. Already her lungs were beginning to burn, her eyes being stung by blind fear and the tears which streamed down.

Keep running.

Suddenly her feet lurched, one of the heels snapping under the constant strain. Her arms swung uselessly in the air as she crashed to a heap on the pavement, on her knees and face. Her hands were bent on either side and vainly she tried to struggle back up, tottering on her now ruined shoes. They were scraped to pieces and absolutely useless. Listening in dread, Buffy waited for her follower to grab her or attack knowing that she couldn’t get away.

I wish Spike was here.

Her hair hung in tangled ropes around her face obscuring her sight as she made out a heavy dark form approach her slowly.

It was a man.

“Well what do we have here?” he asked cruelly, wrenching Buffy’s face up with one calloused hand. “Little red riding hood out for a night stroll.” He dropped her head in disgust, thinking that he’d have his fun with her in a back alley and then dump the stupid bitch’s body in a dumpster. It was always what Parker told him to do when finding stupid girls like this. Crouching down beside the blond Lindsay grinned maliciously. One side of the girl’s face already dripped blood as a result of the tumble onto the concrete. She only wore a white tank top and pants, her slight form being all too well noticeable.

He would have fun with this one.

Lindsay stood back up, idly pulling out his gun as he pointed to a back alleyway. “Get up.”

When the girl didn’t move, Lindsay pressed the barrel against her trembling forehead. “I said get up bitch.”

This time she did as requested, hobbling into the darkness with a limp. He kept his gun locked on her at all times, not wanting the girl to get away before he got his rewards. Parker allotted him any girls he wanted when patrolling these streets.

It was fair payment considering any of the Aurelius gang could drive by and shoot him dead.

Lindsay smirked, smacking the thin girl’s head back against the brick wall. He doubted that they’d show tonight and even if they did, he had back up.

Just a few feet across Forest lounged against the wall looking extremely bored. “Just fuck her already” he stated in irritation, tiring of his partner’s idea of foreplay. He didn’t understand why the guy went through the trouble of smashing her up, the girl would be dead in less than five minutes after he finished anyway.

Peeking over Lindsay’s shoulder, Forrest took a good look at the girl and swore. “She’s a fine one Linds.”

“Don’t I know it.” His hand was wrapped around her waist, pawing at her breast roughly. Tears were streaked down Buffy’s face, mixing with the blood which was matted in with her hair.

Both merely grinned.

***

Spike cursed himself for the fifth time as he raced through Sunnydale, eyes darting into every turn off for a glimpse of the tiny blond.

If I don’t get to her soon, the bloody chit could be dead.

He’d already checked the closest suburban areas, thinking that Buffy would have run to her friends after being confronted by him. He’d have been thanking the bloody stars if he had found her holed up in the red head’s house, refusing to talk to him and hurling spiteful glares. It was far better than the knowledge that she had ventured down town.

Pressing the gas petal down as far as it could go, Spike all but raced through traffic, leaving behind him a sea of horns and near accidents. It didn’t matter.
His whole body shook with just the notion of what Parker and his gang could do to her if finding her on one of their random invasions. Normally Angel and the gang would have been down there waiting for them but Angel had scheduled in a meeting. Spike would be on his own should there be trouble.

An alarming thought when he considered the fact that there could be six of the bloody pillocks, all crowded into a tight space. Out in the open, he’d have no trouble fighting them but then he only had to worry about himself normally. Spike didn’t know how he’d fare trying to protect Buffy at the same time.

Realising that he had reached the down town area Spike slowed the Desoto down considerably. All that emerged from the beast of a car was a low rumble, almost unnoticeable in the odd shouts and screams which rang through the area.

Please let Buffy be safe he pleaded silently. I’ll try and smoke less and not throw the butts on the ground anymore.

The buildings on either side of the street were large, towering above him as though reaching into the heavens. Each housed more than its fair share of whores, junkies and abandoned families, some of them relying on the Aurelius gang for money. Often Spike was the one who dealt with them, not having the heart to turn down a mother and her two sniveling kids after she’d been turfed out of her home. Angel had called him weak for it for about a week before Spike redecorated the poofter’s face. After that the gang left Spike alone about it. In time it had paid off anyway. Many of those Spike saw to were loyal to the death to Angel, despite never meeting the wanker and had helped in various dealings when things became complicated. That and the benefit that they would know where Buffy was.

Spike jumped out of his car, running up to the beggar Tom who half the time talked to pictures believing they could respond. Despite that he was a crafty bugger and was completely reliable.

Noticing the bleached blonde after a minute, Tom craned his head up to look at the youth with a grin. It was Spike who had bought the photo album for him to keep his collection in. He tried for a moment to grin, before one of his teeth began to ache and instead settled for a frown. “What’s wrong?”

“You seen a bird about this high go running past recently” asked Spike holding one hand up to his chest.

“Yeah about half an hour ago. Was dressed in some red pants and white top” replied Tom with a leer. “She won’t last long tonight. Parker’s boys are roaming the street and looking for easy pickings.” He tried to smile again, hoping that Spike would forget the girl and leave. “I’d say there are too many for you to handle.”

Spike shrugged, already walking backwards to his car which sat idling. “We’ll see Tom. Thanks for the news.”

The beggar shuffled sheepishly for a moment, overcome with embarrassment. It wasn’t often the blond praised anybody and the streets would be hearing about it for weeks to come.

“Good luck Spike.”

***

Buffy struggled back a cry of pain as the guy now identified as Lindsay ran his hands once more through her hair. Each nail seemed intent on pulling at her wounds, more numerous now that his other partner had decided to join in. From what she could see, Lindsay was slightly taller than Spike, chocolate brown hair falling in short waves around his face. He could have been called pretty except for the pure grin of pleasure which crossed his features as more blood began to flow.

“Quit playing around and get to the good stuff. You know Parker will want to hear what we found out about that Summers chick.” The deep voice of Lindsay’s partner only made Buffy want to scream more.

They were part of Parker’s gang?

Oh god Spike really was serious… I’m such an idiot. Buffy tried to block out the wave of nausea that filled her throat as Lindsay shoved his hand up her shirt. He had long since tied her hands when realising that she would not stop thrashing and trying to hit him even after several backhands.

At least he doesn’t know who I am.

She bit her lip as her attacker’s face came close to her ear, the stench of blood and what smelled like drugs too much for her.

“I’m going to enjoy fucking you I think” he said roughly, twisting her flesh in his hand until he heard a whimper. “You really are quite a spitfire and I enjoy that in women.” Lindsay smiled, running his mouth along her neck. “I promise to make it painful.”

Buffy turned her head away, expecting it to be wrenched back and slapped again. Instead she heard a shot and turning to the alley entrance saw a figure in black.

Spike.

Her face lit up into a beautiful smile, unable to contain the relief she felt at seeing that bright flash of peroxide hair or the cobalt eyes which right now glinted savagely.

He looked murderous.

Forrest was the first to turn and seeing Spike there, reached for his gun. The man barely had it out of its holster before the blond shot him through the head.

“Get away from the girl.”

Lindsay looked up from his victim, knowing that he was as good as dead. The gun he had in his pocket was in clear sight of Spike and useless in defence. Spike was far faster with a weapon and already had it trained on him. He slowly backed away from Buffy, hands held high as he turned to face Parker’s nemesis.

“What can I do for you William? Hoping to get a little bit of leftover after I’m done? I know Parker is searching for your slut currently.”

Spike shrugged though inwardly he was reeling. They are already searching for Buffy. Bloody buggering hell. I should have taken her with me to the house sooner.

Not taking his eyes off Lindsay, Spike called out to his girl, worried over her silence. “You alright luv?”

Buffy sighed, her tears suppressed now that he’d arrived. “I’m okay.”

Her soft reply brought a momentary smile to his lips. Always a tough little bird.

If he’d been only a few mintutes late, things could have ended very differently. As it was he was fighting the strong urge to shoot the bastard where he stood, but then he had to think about Buffy. She’d never trust him if he killed the pillock in front of her. Sure Forest had been blown away but he’d reached for his gun. Sighing at his concern for her emotions which really should be nowhere as strong if Spike was more hardened, he gestured to Buffy.

“Come here pet.”

Slowly she wobbled her way over, halting a couple of times when dizziness threatened. Spike’s face contorted into pure rage as he took in her form. The tank top which had originally been white was smeared with dirt and blood, several of them being male handprints. It was ripped half apart as were the opening to her leather pants which were torn beyond repair.

He’d be buggered if he didn’t kill the bastard for this.

“There’s a knife in my pocket Goldilocks” he said gently. “Reach in and I’ll get rid of that bloody knot.”

Buffy nodded, wobbling closer as she leaned into him sideways. it was difficult but she managed to reach the full way into the duster pocket pulling out a small flick knife. She waited for a moment before looking at her would be rapist with confused eyes.

“What are you going to do with him?”

Spike shrugged, not knowing whether to shoot him dead and leave the body for Parker to find. He could easily send her out of the alleyway but then again she’d still know what had occurred. “What do you think I should do pet? It’s not me he violated.”

Her frame shook as she gazed at Lindsay who stood only a few feet away. Forrest’s body lay close by.

“Leave him here. And…” she paused, not wanting to kill him but wanting some retribution. “let the people of the street decide what they want to do. I’m sure they’ll think of something.”

Spike smirked at her, glad that she hadn’t begged for Lindsay to be released. He would have had to ignore her wishes and shoot him. Even now it was difficult to not pull the trigger.

“Right then” he drawled, stalking towards the now fearful man who stood shaking. “Let’s see what we can do with you.” Spike quickly pocketed the tosser’s gun before shoving his face hard against the brick wall, leaning one elbow into the back of his head. He ground down hard for a minute or so until he felt Buffy nudge him, gesturing at his hands.

“Just tie him up Spike.”

The blond hung his head, pulling out duct tape and wrapping it around the arms and hands of their captive. Once satisfied Spike moved down into the legs, wrapping them tight so that Lindsay could only stand or fall down like a log. He gave the man a shove, laughing for a moment until he caught sight of his girl. The blood in her hair stained it a dark red in the muted glare of streetlights.
I need to get her cleaned up.

Taking her up into his arms, Spike cut her bonds before allowing her to rest against him. He didn’t bother casting a glance back, quite happy to let the wanker rot, that was until Tom got to him.

Should of put a bloody gag on the wanker thought Spike offhandedly.

***

He only made it to the car before Buffy fell asleep in his arms, emotionally worn out by all that had happened. Spike had to balance her carefully as he seated himself in the Desoto, glad that the car was so large. Cradling her head, Spike laid it gently in his lap, the rest of her body curling up like a small child.

He drove to Angel’s house slowly, knocking on the door in an odd act of politeness given the late hour. Normally he barged right in with barely a care for who happened to be asleep.

His leader opened it a minute later, gelled locks sticking haphazardly everywhere as Darla stood behind him. They both held guns which were lowered when they saw who is was.

“I thought you said you were bringing her tomorrow.”

Spike grinned, stepping into the foyer slowly so as not to jostle the sleeping girl. “Technically Peaches it is the beginning of tomorrow and besides I needed to crash here a little earlier than planned.”

Angel peered at Buffy, just then noticing the dried blood which caked her shirt and hair. “What the fuck happened?”

“Summers decided to run and Parker’s boys found her.” Spike’s voice remained quiet though he felt like screaming. If he had just stopped her from running none of this would have ever happened.

“Jesus Will… Did they know it was her?”

Spike’s bitter smile was the first that he allowed to escape. “No. But the sods have been looking for her Angel. You were right.”

A small moan escaped the girl in his arms, prompting the men to end the conversation.

Angel pointed after Darla who was slowly making her way up the stairs. “I’ll talk to both of you about it in the morning okay Will? Your room is clean for once so don’t worry about trying to fix it up.” Angel patted his shoulder gruffly before hurrying after Darla. He wouldn’t be getting much sleep after tonight’s events.

Spike watched the two climb the stairs before following quietly after. The staircase was wide and covered in thick carpet, masking his footsteps as he took two steps at a time. Reaching the top, he turned to the left, knocking open the second room’s door open.

Not sparing a glance at his surroundings, Spike swiftly deposited Buffy into the left side of the bed, undressing her into her underwear in gentle movements. He’d tend to her wounds properly in the morning, for now just checking to see that none still ebbed blood. Satisfied after several minutes of inspection, Spike stripped off his shirt and clambered into the bed, drawing Buffy into his arms instantly. Her body seemed to mould with his, Buffy murmuring his name in her sleep as Spike closed his eyes.

Any discussions between them could wait till morning. Opening his eyes one last time, Spike peered at the tiny girl who was fast rearranging his life to circle her. He didn’t know what he would have done if they had finished their attempt. Just the thought of Lindsay and Forest molesting her made him see red. Spike brushed a kiss across her cheek, his hand interlocking with hers.

“Night princess.”