Owen was nice enough, Buffy decided. Not as dashing as she’d originally thought, but smart and cute in a goofy-dorky sort of way. In short – there were no sparks thus far, but he was friendly and kind and definitely a gentleman. Those were few and far between these days, and Buffy thought the world could use more of them. Of course, thinking about the lack of gentlemen in the world made her think of William. He was a gentleman. He was sweet, kind and considerate. He always put her needs before his own.

However, Buffy was thinking a gentleman didn’t exactly take you against a wall in a club, so… Perhaps there was a discrepancy there. William was a passionate sort of guy though, she conceded. He was the sort of restrained attorney he needed to be, kept a cool head when it was appropriate, but all that passion had to go somewhere. It needed an outlet or he’d probably combust from the inside out. Buffy shivered at the thought of that passion. It was…well, it was hot. She could very well remember what it felt like to have his hot hands on her, how they touched her so exquisitely and made her burn for him. How she craved his touch and his kisses were like a drug to her. Buffy remembered how intoxicating he was; how she’d been unable to stop herself from giving into him.

And now, standing with Owen in a cool art gallery, Buffy felt hot. She couldn’t imagine Owen having the kind of heat William had. William was a Sex God. He was…her eyes widened as she focused in on the entrance to the gallery. William was a devious little Sex God because William was there!

She felt frozen, staring at him, as he perused the crowd. Oh God, he was going to flip a nutty when he saw her with Owen wasn’t he?

“Hey, Owen,” Buffy said softly, leaning into his hulking frame to hide herself. “Let’s go in the other room and check out the watercolors, whaddya say?”

Owen shrugged complacently, “Sure.”

Hoping William wouldn’t see her, Buffy tried her best to blend into the crowd as she tugged Owen into the next room. Heading to the far back wall, she kept her eyes glued to the doorway.

The hors d’oeuvres and flutes of champagne were being passed around and Buffy took a flute, chugging it as she stared at a painting that she wasn’t really seeing and trying to figure what her next escape plan was going to be.

Her eyes darted nervously to the entrance and saw him talking and laughing to some woman that really had no class at all, fawning all over him as she was. Not that she could really blame the woman. He did look devastatingly handsome in black pants and v-neck charcoal sweater. He just looked so…scrumptious. Especially since she knew those pants hugged his ass. His hair that seemed to be growing longer by the day was tousled and slightly curly. Yeah, she was drooling right along with the brunette bimbo hanging on him.

“This one is so…cool,” Owen said, looking at the painting before him.

Buffy looked at it. It was a beautiful painting, actually. Rich, vibrant colors spread out into a butterfly that encompassed the entire canvas it was spread out on. She wanted to scold him for saying ‘cool’. It was more than cool. It was beautiful and textured and rich in its –

“Hello, beautiful,” William drawled in her ear.

She froze and then spun around. “William! You’re here, what a surprise. How are you?” she said a tad too loudly and with such faux cheeriness, William grinned.

“I’m great, pet. Just checking up on my girl.”

“Buffy?” Owen said, clearly confused. Poor guy.

“Owen, this is my brother, William,” Buffy said before William could get a word in. She figured if Owen knew William was her brother, William would be more apt to behave himself.

William grinned at Owen and stuck out his hand. Owen took it and by the expression on her date’s face, Buffy could tell William was squeezing the hell out of his hand.

Okay, so maybe he wasn’t going to behave himself.

Owen finally pulled free with a mighty tug.

“Hey, Will, can I talk to you for a second?” Buffy asked, taking his arm.

“Of course,” William said graciously and allowed himself to be led away.

Buffy had no idea where she was going, but she went through another doorway, down a hall and around a corner. She spun to William. “What the hell are you doing here?” she hissed.

Grabbing her, he hauled her against him and kissed her hard, demandingly, and possessively.

She shoved at him before she could be pulled under – as was so easy to do in his arms she was finding. “Stop doing that! God, what is this? You get in a hallway and caveman William comes out? Do hallways turn you on or something?”

“Try seeing you with another man and caveman William comes out,” he said huskily, reaching for her.

“No!” she said and stepped back. “This…overprotective brother thing has gotten a little weird now Will—“

“I’m not your brother.”

”Stepbrother, then.”

”We’re not blood.”

“We’re still family.”

“It’s not wrong.”

”Yes! It is! It’s big with the wrong. It’s wrong up one side and down the other!”

He shook his head, “No, Buffy, it’s not. We didn’t meet until we were eighteen for Christ’s sake. We spent one summer together, before that, we didn’t even know each other at all. Well, I knew you, but you didn’t know me probably.”

“I knew of you,” she said indignantly.

He grinned. “Bet you didn’t know I had a bit of a thing for you then, huh?”

“What?” she asked incredulously.

“I always thought you were the cutest thing I ever laid my eyes on—“

“Oh, great,” she said dryly. “I’m cute. Just what every woman wants to hear.”

Taking her wrist, he pulled her close until their bodies were flush against each other. Buffy shivered and gasped at the contact.

“You grew into a beautiful woman unlike any woman I have ever seen before, pet.”

“Really?” she asked, mesmerized by his words and voice.

“Yes. You doubt it?”

She chewed her lip. “I blame Mom. She was never really forthright with the compliments—“

”Buffy?”

”Yeah?

“Focus.”

“Sorry.”

William chuckled, cupping the side of her face with one hand, while holding her close with his other arm. “You’re so sweet and beautiful and smart…Buffy, how could I not want to be with you?”

“William—“

“Buffy, you down here?” Owen’s voice came down the hall.

“Tell him to go,” William growled.

“No,” she hissed, “I’m his date, I can’t be rude.”

“Buffy, I’m spilling my guts here!”

“Buffy?”

“Coming, Owen!” Buffy called and pulled herself free from William’s grasp.

“Buffy,” William said warningly.

“Will, can we just…can we just put a pin in it for now? My head is spinning; you’ve gotten me all… My head is spinning like a top…I just can’t think.”

“Come home with me,” he said huskily, pulling her back to him. “Come home with me now, please?”

“I can’t, Will—“

”Yes, you can.”

“We’ll talk later.”

”Let me give you a little something to think about then,” he murmured and captured her lips in a searing kiss that left her weak in the knees and breathless. “Come home soon,” he whispered on a plea.

Nodding dumbly, Buffy walked on shaky legs to meet Owen. Christ, she had never been so turned on and so damn scared in all her life.