Author's Chapter Notes:
Little treat this morning... :)
William was going mad, having had to watch Buffy leave with the big oaf that she called her date, and then having to wait for her to return to him. He was going stark, raving mad. He was now pacing on his balcony, staring out and waiting for her. Was Owen touching her? Kissing her? Telling her all the pretty things that Buffy deserved to hear, but should only be hearing from him?

Would she be receptive to his advances when she arrived home, or would she continue to put him off? He couldn’t see Owen having struck any kind of big nerve with her. Upon approaching her, she’d almost seemed annoyed by the oaf. Good. That just helped his case all the more.

And then he saw her, stepping out of a blue Ford Taurus. He watched, his body tense, to see if Owen, who was now climbing out of his car, was going to dare touch his Buffy.

He really was turning into a caveman.

Luckily for Owen, all he did was hug her. He made to walk her to the door, but Buffy waved him off, seeming not put out, but being polite about it. Owen shrugged and got back in his car.

Grinning with anticipation, William turned and waited for his girl to see him waiting for her. Coming into the penthouse, Buffy’s eyes fell on him immediately. She was fidgeting. Not a good sign. That always meant she was nervous. Okay, she could be nervous, but not for long. Not for all the delicious things he planned to do to her.

She stepped out to join him and his eyes drank her in. God, she was gorgeous. Her hair was loose and wavy, flowing down around her shoulders, and the silky, silver spaghetti strapped dress she wore and the smoky eye makeup was driving him mad with lust. He felt like a live wire that would go off with one touch from her.

“I knew you’d be waiting up here, watching,” she told him softly.

“You’re so gorgeous, you know that?” he drawled, willing her to give him some kind of sign to reach out and touch her.

“I had to do the ass-out hug, cause I was afraid of what you’d do.”

That stopped him in his tracks. William started to laugh. “The ‘ass-out’ hug?”

“Yeah, you know. When you don’t want to make bodily contact so you kind of hug them while standing back a bit and your ass juts out?”

William couldn’t stop laughing. “Oh, God you make me laugh.”

Buffy smiled warily. “Thanks. Was I right though?” she asked, peering over the balcony. “You can see the parking lot quite well from up here.”

”You were right,” he told her huskily, moving up behind her and wrapping his arms around her. Moving her hair to the side, he left nibbling little kisses on her neck. “I was watching for you, making sure that boy didn’t touch my girl.”

“William,” Buffy breathed, her hands coming to rest on his own as he trailed kisses down her neck.

“Tell me what you want, baby. I’ll do it and more…” he whispered into her neck, biting the tender flesh lightly.

“William, you…”

“Mmmm?” he murmured, his hands traveling up to cup her pert breasts in his hands.

When his hands made contact, Buffy froze. “You have to stop.”

He stilled and dropped his hands to her waist. “Why?”

She turned in his arms. “Whatever it is you’re feeling, you’ve had time obviously to think about it, to come to some sort of conclusion about it. I haven’t. I just…we had…we did it against a wall in a club, William! Whatever you felt—“

Cupping her face in his hands, William stared into her green pools and said with complete clarity, “I’m in love with you, Buffy.”

Putting her hands on his, she looked up at him, stunned. “You are?”

“Yes, I am. Completely and wholly in love with you.”

”Oh, God,” she murmured.

“What? Is that so bad?”

“It’s just…wow.”

He smiled, “I know. Knocked me on my ass, too.”

“Will…”

“What is it, kitten?”

“I…” she pushed at him, “I need some space here first of all. I can’t think when you’re right there like that.”

He grinned saucily. “Not seeing how that’s a bad thing, pet,” he drawled, leaning in and capturing her lips in a kiss.

When he let her go to breathe, Buffy pushed at him once more and he let her go this time, letting her put some distance between them.

“You’ve had time to come to that conclusion, Will. I haven’t,” she told him.

“I’ll give you time, then. I don’t expect you to say it back right away.”

“William, geez, I just got here!”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean I came to you because I needed to get back on my feet and now I’m stumbling all over the place because of you. I left one relationship because it just about did me in and I’m not looking to…” she took a deep breath. “I’m not looking to jump into another one.”

William shook his head, “Buffy, don’t end this before it’s even had a chance to start.”

“I’m not…I’m just. I need to get some distance. I just got a job; I’m trying to move out--”

“Princess, you don’t have to move out.”

“Yes, I do,” she said resolutely. “I came here to build a new life, not revert back to the old one.”

“How is being with me reverting back to your old life?”

“Okay, first of all,” she said ticking off her fingers, “There are Mom and Dad. How will they react to it?”

“Who cares if we want to be together? We’re not really related, Buffy and they know it. They’d probably be thrilled!”

“What if it doesn’t work out? Then what? We spend future holidays with the fam being incredibly uncomfortable, or worse, hating each other?”

“Buffy, you can’t know that will happen--”

“And you can’t know that it won’t. William, I’ve spent so long just following my heart and never listening to my head. I just go where the wind blows and there’s so much at stake here and so much I don’t want to lose.”

“Buffy, you won’t lose me,” he told her, trying to grab onto her. Deftly, she avoided his grasp.

“You haven’t even taken me out on a date! I just get sex against a wall and that’s it? I want a little more, here William. I’ve been through the ringer when it comes to men and you know it.”

“You want a date?” he asked, running his hand through his hair. “I’ll give you a date.”

“Because I had to say something!”

“No. Not it at all, really. I regret how I made love to you, Buffy, but I don’t regret having done it. You are right. You do deserve more. A hell of a lot more. And I do want to do right by you. So, we’ll take it slow and easy and--”

“William.”

“What?”

“I’m not ready.”

“You’re hiding,” he said pointing at her.

“I’m not hiding. I’m trying to make my own way here.”

“Can’t I be part of that?”

“I really think it’s something I have to do on my own. I have nothing to offer you right now, Will—“

“That’s not true,” he said adamantly, almost pleadingly. “You have a lot to offer me. Everything you are is what I want--”

“I’m sorry, William. I just can’t right now.”

“Buffy, please…” he said, hating the whine in his voice.

“Good night,” she murmured and left him standing there, feeling as if his world were falling apart.