William refused to help Buffy move. In fact, he’d left the morning she was to move and stayed away all day. Not that she had a lot that had to go, but she’d tried to call him to let him know that he could come back and he hadn’t answered the phone. By trying to do the right thing, it seemed Buffy had done the wrong thing. It hurt her to know she’d hurt him; it had been, after all, the last thing she wanted to do.

She’d settled in rather quickly at Willow’s, the redhead making her feel right at home immediately. On her first night, the pair stayed up pigging out on pizza, Chinese food and ice cream and watched movies until three in the morning. Two weeks went by and Buffy felt as though a whole new world was opening up to her. She was thriving in her job and had picked out, under her boss’s encouragement, what classes she wanted to take to get her feet wet before fully applying for the Master’s program, and she was learning how to drive. Xander, Anya and Willow were teaching her – an empty parking lot being the first hurdle she had to get through before they trusted her with more.

Things were happening at a rapid pace and more than anything, Buffy wanted to share it with William. But William didn’t want to have anything to do with her any longer it seemed.

Now who was being the child?

And so it was with extreme annoyance that Buffy hauled herself over to his office. She hadn’t had much time as of late to get over to visit him, and every time she called and left messages, he never returned her call.

Waltzing into his office that fateful day, she found him chatting up some brunette that gave her the once over as soon as she entered.

“Oh. Hello, Buffy. I didn’t know you were coming,” he said, his polite tone incredibly fake. That was his ‘schmoozing’ voice.

“Well, I’ve been trying to call--” she started.

“I’ve had a case that’s taken up a lot of time. Buffy, this is Lilah Morgan, my partner on said case. Lilah, this is my stepsister, Buffy.”

Buffy held out her hand and smiled as kindly as she could while the snobby woman daintily took her hand and shook it so lightly, it wasn’t even worth taking her hand and attempting the pretense of it. Buffy studied her. She had pin-straight hair, thin lips, and dull brown eyes – and from the looks of it, this Lilah had the hots for William. Her William. Her eyes followed every move he made and all he was doing was straightening papers on his desk.

Course, Buffy was doing the same thing at the moment.

“Was there something you needed?” William asked, looking up at her.

Tilting her head to one side, Buffy studied him. He looked tired, and if possible, thinner. His hair was shaggier than usual and his clothes were slightly rumpled.

“What?” he nearly barked at her.

Buffy jumped a bit, straightening, startled at his tone. “Nothing, I just wanted to see you since I haven’t see you in a while--”

“Told you, I’ve been busy.”

“Right, but--”

“So, tonight at your place then, William?” Lilah asked, cutting her off. “I can bring some friends.”

“Yes, do that.”

“Tonight?” Buffy questioned suddenly wanting to be anywhere than where she was. This William was not her William. He felt like a stranger to her. He wouldn’t even look her in the eye. She wanted to reach out to him, but she felt like an errant schoolgirl that would get her hands slapped if she tried.

“William is having a party,” Lilah grinned, “A real rager. You know, by William’s standards anyway.”

“You’re having a party?” Buffy asked him.

“Yeah, someone told me I was living the single life and should have one. So, I’m having one,” he said flatly, not even looking at her.

“Oh. Sounds fun.” Buffy was trying for cheerful and she was failing miserably. The faux chipper tone to her voice was really just more annoying than anything. In reality, she felt as though a million daggers were stabbing her in the heart.

“Why don’t you come, Betty? You can bring some of your…friends.” Lilah said, smirking at her. The way she said ‘friends’, made it sound as if Buffy was going to round up the local lepers.

“It’s Buffy,” William said tightly.

“Woops!” Lilah giggled.

Buffy raised a brow and looked at the offending woman. “Yeah, maybe I will.” She turned to William. “What time is the party?”

“Nine.”

“See you then,” Buffy said and started off.

“You’re leaving already?” William called after her.

“Yup!” Buffy called back, snapping the ‘P’. Slamming his door shut, Buffy willed the tears that were prickling the backs of her eyes to go away.

********


“So, tell me again why we’re going to this party when all you’ve done is say how much you hate him since you came home?” Willow asked Buffy as they rode the elevator up to William’s penthouse later that night.

“Because I want to see if him and the skanky ho are going at it like bunnies,” Buffy told her friend, right at the door for when the door opened.

“And you hate him?”

“Yes.”

“But really, that just means you’re in love with him, right?”

Buffy didn’t answer.

“Buffy.” Willow said sternly.

The doors dinged and opened. “We’re here!” Buffy exclaimed.

“Buffy Summers,” Willow said demandingly, following close behind her. “What is it you plan to do if you don’t love him?”

“I never said I didn’t,” Buffy murmured and pushed his door open. The music, she noted, could be felt through the door.

Stepping inside, her jaw dropped. “Wow.”

“Damn, there’s a lot of people,” Willow said in awe. “Does he know this many people?”

“No, he doesn’t.”

“Well, he wanted a rager. I think he got one!”

Buffy sneezed. “Okay. And people are apparently smoking too…”

Spotting William across the room, Buffy felt her inner bitch come out. Lilah was hanging on his arm and laughing in such a forced happy manner, it made Buffy want to hit her.

“Wills, give me the Tequila,” Buffy ordered holding out her hand.

Willow handed it to her. “What are you going to do?”

“I’m going in,” Buffy muttered and marched in the direction of William and Lilah.

Marching up to William, Buffy plastered a bright smile on her face. "Hi!"

William blinked, straightened, and stared. "Buffy--you came."

"Yep, I did. Said I would. Here I am! Hey, this is my friend and roommate, Willow," Buffy said, turning slightly to show William Willow who was standing behind her. "You met her the day I moved--oh wait. That's right. You weren't there."

William glared at her and Buffy just smiled wider. "Where shall I put this?" she asked, holding up the tequila.

"The kitchen. I can show you," he said tightly, making a move to go.

"Don't bother. I got it. Don't want to tear my big brother away from his date!" Buffy returned and spun on heel toward the kitchen.

"Buffy, what are you doing?" Willow asked once they'd entered the kitchen.

Placing the bottle on the counter, Buffy turned to Willow. "Honestly? I have no flipping clue."

"Are you trying to piss him off?"

"Do you think I did?"

Willow nodded, eyes wide. "Oh, yes, I think so."

"Then I guess that's what I'm going for then."

"Why?"

"Well, you know how when a kid feels neglected they act up in a negative way to get attention?"

"Yeah..."

"I'm that kid."