Their relationship shifted after he’d laid it all out for her and she’d cried in his arms. She seemed more at ease, more open, and ready to listen to what he had to say—and really listening, not just waiting until he was done so she could rush to disagree. Of course, the day was young, but Spike was going to enjoy it while he could. He’d even asked Buffy if he could sit an interview out so he could retire to her office and make plans for their trip. The fact that she’d agreed nearly knocked him to the ground. He just prayed that his uncle didn’t have a hand in her sudden easygoing manner and that he was experiencing the kinder side of Buffy. The side he knew she had in her, but was too afraid to let show.

And, as soon as he’d entered her office a manila envelope appeared on her desk. Now that, he knew, was Uncle Eros and he wasn’t amused.

“Uncle,” he hissed, “What if it’d been her that walked in? And I told you not to eavesdrop!”

“Well, I knew it wasn’t her and I’m not eavesdropping, per se,” Eros said and appeared, reclining in Buffy’s armchair. He frowned, “Vinyl is not so friendly on wings and a bare—“

“Uncle!”

Eros grinned. He pointed to the manila envelope on the desk. “Inside you’ll find two tickets to the most romantic vacation spot on Earth, some money, Traveler’s checks, a debit card, a credit card, a license, a passport and checks. I’ve taken the liberty of arranging a few necessary things that were seemingly overlooked upon your quick departure to Earth.”

“You mean the departure in which I was literally knocked on my ass?”

“Such language, Spike. Seems to be you’ve been knocked on your ‘ass’ since arriving too,” Eros said, grinning knowingly.

Spike furrowed his brow, “What do you mean?”

Eros chuckled. “Open the manila envelope.”

Eyeing his uncle, Spike opened the manila envelope, but before looking at the tickets, he had to know the truth. “Uncle, she’s not being nicer to me because you worked some mojo on her is she?”

Eros nodded and stood. He patted Spike on the back. “Doubting your abilities?”

Spike nodded, “Maybe a little.”

“Perhaps being firm with her was what was needed. She needed to know the truth and depth of your emotions. She saw it, rest assured.”

“She really did?”

“I thought you felt confident in this task, Spike,” Eros frowned.

“I—I do. I just. . . I feel guilty.”

Eros shrugged, “A minor bump in the road.”

“Minor bump? If she ever found out what I had you do—“

“You plan to tell her? You know you can’t do that,” Eros said sternly.

“I know,” Spike said softly.

“Now take a look at those tickets,” Eros grinned.

Taking them out, Spike gasped. Two tickets for a week to Paris, France. He shook his head immediately.

“Why ‘no’?” Eros demanded, put off that that wasn’t a good choice.

“Because it’s too much. She’d love it, but she’d . . . wonder. I mean, Paris? She’s already suspicious of me and the more I can’t answer . . . Can you make to Kauai?”

“As in one of the Hawaiian Islands?”

“Yes, please. Ever since I had to set up that elderly couple there, I’ve always wanted to see it again.”

Eros shrugged. “Very well.”

“I know you mean well, Uncle, but you think like . . . well, you.”

“I think like someone that’s observed the hot spots for lovers, I understand,” Eros nodded. “And this is not a trip for lovers, is it? It’s just a trip for Buffy to get some relaxation and gain some peace of mind, correct?”

Spike nodded mutely, his eyes downcast.

“For it can’t be anything more than that, right Spike?”

Still looking down, Spike nodded and missed the gentle smile on Eros’ face.

His uncle patted his back, “I think you’ll do fine. Kauai it is. Very peaceful and relaxing.”

“That’s what I thought.”

“She’ll enjoy it, I’m sure. I don’t think you’re off the mark here, my boy. That girl does need a break.”

“But no mojo right?”

“No mojo. And, unless you really need me, no eavesdropping.”

“Thank you, Uncle.”

“I believe Miss Summers is done now. Why don’t you tell her the good news? You’ve got your destination.”

In a flash, he was gone and Spike stood holding the manila envelope in his hands. Buffy knocked on the door, “Spike? Can I come in?”

He smiled, “Yes, my lioness.” And he shoved the tickets in the manila envelope and wrapped his arms around it.

The door opened, “Everything okay?” she asked, bringing in the latest files.

“Yep. I uh, have our destination.”

“Oh? Are you currently hugging that information to your chest?”

Spike nodded. “It’s a surprise, but we’re leaving at the end of the week.”

Her eyes widened. “The end of the week? This week?”

He nodded. “Problem?”

“Means I have to get a few things in order, like our latest client and Willow, Xander and Oz –“

“It’ll be all right sweetling. I’ll help you. Give me Xander’s number and I’ll call him. You call Oz and we’ll call Willow together. Sound good?”

“Sure.”

“Then you can brief me on the latest and we’ll come up with a plan for her before we leave.”

She shook her head in wonder.

“What?” he asked, fearing he’d done something wrong.

“Just thinking that maybe we do make a good team,” she said softly.

Spike smiled broadly, “Yes, we do.” And he left it at that. He didn’t gloat or go on about it. Doing that would send her into a hissy and make her take it back. Just that additional step towards accepting him and opening herself up was all he needed. Hopefully, by the end of their week, she’d be putty in his hands. He frowned at that train of thought. Then what? He got her back on board with her business and she found herself at peace once again, then what? He left? Did he have to play matchmaker for—Oh Great Merciful Zeus, No! He wouldn’t do it, he would not set her up with someone—what the bleeding hell had he just gotten himself into? Did he miss something in the directions his uncle had given him? Was he supposed to do that?

“Spike?” Buffy asked, gently putting her hand on his head. “Are you all right? You’re looking a little ill.”

He gazed down at her, at her concerned green eyes, her cute upturned nose and rosy cheeks. Some bloke would be very lucky to have a girl like her. All the fire and passion she possessed . . . they’d be lucky to end up with such a lioness. His Lioness.

He nodded, “I think I’m just hungry.”

“Well, you’re always yelling at me to eat, why don’t you take your own advice and then we’ll get to work on these.”

Unable to stop himself, he brought her in his arms and held her tight.

“Spike?” she asked, uncertain.

“It’s okay, I’m just excited to be going away. We’re going to have a lot of fun you and me, yeah?”

“Oh I have no doubt for your capacity to show me a good time, Spike. You’re certainly full of surprises. But right now the envelope you’ve been hugging is digging into my chest.”

He released her immediately, “Sorry, luv.”

“It’s okay. Go get something to eat, all right?”

He nodded, taking his envelope with him and made his way outside. He took a deep breath and leaned against the wall. He was very certain that he was falling in love with Buffy Summers. In fact, he was fairly certain that he already was.

His uncle was going to pitch a fit to rival his mothers if he found out. And yet—how was he going to be able to keep it under wraps? He wasn’t exactly known for keeping things under wraps, his real identity aside, and he’d never felt this so intensely before and just the thought of leaving her filled him with a dread that rivaled all else. He was drowning in it now, wasn’t he?