Buffy wondered when it would be a good time to tell Spike she was deathly afraid of flying. When he’d invited her to go on vacation with him, she’d thought he meant a weekend away at some resort or something. Not a full week in a Hawaiian Island—and what she knew of Kauai, the most romantic of the islands. She darted a glance at him as he leaned back in his seat in the cab. Was he thinking romance? And why was she pondering if he was pondering it if she wasn’t pondering the idea herself. It was confusing and complicated and she was trying not to dwell on her body’s reaction to his close proximity. Or the fact that her heart had started doing this racing thing when he was around. Nope, they were friends, that was it. Just friends. So why was he smiling at her now so tenderly? Was she just reading into things?

“What?” she asked, wincing at the snapping quality to her question.

He frowned slightly at that. “Excited?”

She bit her lip and looked out the window. “Yeah, huh.”

He put his hand under her chin and made her look at him. “What is it? Willow? She was really excited about having two dates and I think Robin was a good choice for that Faith bird—“

“No, it’s not that,” she shook her head, dislodging his hand.

“Then what is it?”

“I’m petrified of flying,” she whispered, looking down.

He started to laugh.

She glared at him. “Okay, it’s not funny!”

“Oh, it is pet if you knew—Buffy, it’s all right kitten. You don’t have a thing to worry about.”

She furrowed her brow, “How do you know?”

“Let’s just say I have it on good authority.”

“I knew it! You’re one of those bible thumping freaks aren’t you? Let me guess, you had a chat with God this morning after he appeared in your toast.”

That made him laugh harder. “No kitten, I don’t even eat toast.”

“Spike—“

“Ssshhh.” He pulled her back against him, wrapping his arms around her. Immediately, she relaxed. There was something just so comforting about being in his arms. “There’s nothing for you to worry about. You’ll be fine. Flying isn’t that much of a big deal. It’s fun! Can you imagine what it would be like if you had wings?”

“Like a bird?” She wrinkled her nose. “I’d much rather be like Superman or Supergirl and not have wings.”

“What’s wrong with fluffy, white wings? Sure they can sometimes make you sneeze but they’re pretty compact as long as you know when to extend and when to—“

“Do you know from experience what it’s like to have wings?” she asked, amused. She looked up at him, his blue eyes sparkling with determination as he looked straight ahead. Then he looked down at her and his gaze softened. He smiled.

“I’m just wagering I’d rather have wings,” he said. “Superman wore tights.”

Buffy giggled, “Would you rather be a cherub like the God of Love? He has a toga or sometimes even a giant white diaper—“

“Pet, bite your tongue,” Spike said firmly. “Eros is not cherub like. That’d insinuate he was a child and he most certainly is not. Those bloody Romans have him that way. And he might wear a toga, but it fits him, he—“

Buffy quirked an eyebrow. “There is certainly more to you than meets the eye. Why are you giving me a dissertation on Eros versus Cupid and getting quite defensive about it?”

“I uh, studied a lot of Greek, what do you call it? Mythology. You could call me an expert on the subject.”

“And you feel quite passionate about it, I see.”

“Well, yes. Kind of like how you feel passionate about work.”

Buffy sighed, “Do I? I hadn’t noticed.”

“You do,” Spike said quietly. “I can see it and feel it even if you don’t.”

“Can we not talk about work?”

“Good idea. Instead, let’s talk about all the decadent things we’ll do this week.”

She smiled. Decadent. She liked the sound of that.

********



He supposed it was horribly wrong of him to take such pleasure in her fear of flying, but how could he help it? For one thing, since he flew and was somewhat familiar with aviation as Mercury planted that seed in humans—he felt pretty secure in their flight. Not to mention that if something were to happen, he knew his uncle would be right there to lend a hand. In fact, he was pretty sure this particular flight was being looked after. So her fear was laughable at least to him. However, his most favorite part of Buffy’s fear was the fact that she was now allowing him to wrap his arms around her and hold her tightly against him. He was free to hold her, caress her, comfort her and bury his nose in her fragrant hair and nuzzle her fragrant skin.

Unfortunately, he was also afraid he wouldn’t have a hand left after this for she was crushing it with the mighty grip she had.

“Luv?”

“Yeah?”

“I don’t fancy having a crushed hand.”

“Oh. Sorry,” and she released his hand.

He grabbed it again. “Now I didn’t say you had to let me go. Just ease up on the sumo grip.”

She giggled and it was music to his ears. He smiled and tweaked her nose. “Do you have the Dramamine, pet?”

“I do.”


“Did you take one?”

“Yep, a half hour before we boarded.”

“Kicking in yet?”

“I’m starting to feel a little numb,” and as if on cue, she yawned.

“We’re getting ready soon, pet. The stewardesses are coming out to do their song and dance.”

She giggled again and leaned into him, rubbing her nose against his. “You’re so cute.”

His heart warmed, but he had to keep himself in check. She was under the influence. “Pet, do you take pills on occasion for headaches and such?”

She shrugged. “Not all the time. Why?”

“No reason. Why don’t you rest now hmmm? Just lean back in my arms, that’s right. Mind if I pet you?”

“Like you would your lioness?” she yawned.

“You are my lioness and I want to pet my kitty. May I?”

She nodded, “Please.”

She nestled herself in his arms, resting her head on his chest and he stroked his fingers through her hair. In minutes she was asleep. Spike grinned when an unladylike snore came from her. He guessed he really was under it when he found a snore adorable.