Spike froze. “Y—you what?”

Buffy swallowed, feeling the need to back pedal. “I uh—that came out and I didn’t—“

“Don’t tell me you didn’t mean it, please,” Spike whispered, shutting his eyes.

“No, not that—“ Buffy started and he held up a hand to stop her.

“Wait. Just hold on a bloody—Buffy. I don’t want you tell me you’re falling for me because you think I might possibly have been abused and you feel sorry for me.”

Her eyes widened in horror, “No! Spike I didn’t mean it that way.”

“Think about that one for a second.”

She narrowed her eyes at him. “I’m not a child.”

“Never said you were—seems we’re both saying things we don’t quite mean, yeah?”

Buffy sighed and climbed out of the bed. She took a deep breath and stood before him. “Spike, I care a lot about you. I . . . I’m . . . “ she started to make like a guppy.

Spike reached out and took her hand in his gently, and kissed her palm. “It’s okay, Buffy. You can say it.”

“More scary when it’s . . . “

“Real?”

“Yes,” she said apologetically. She took another deep breath. “I’m falling in love with you Spike,” she said in a rush of breath.

He beamed at her. “Say it again.”

She furrowed her brow, “Why?”

Spike laughed and tugged on her arm. “Please?”

“I’m falling in love with you,” she said this time, more resolutely.

“Can you look me in the eyes and say it?”

She narrowed her eyes at him. “Is this part of your psychoanalyzing crap you like to do to me all the time?”

“Yes, it is. Humor me.”

“I’m falling in love with you, Spike.”

“It’s also because, God, I love hearing that come out of your mouth,” Spike rasped passionately and tugged her into his arms, kissing her ravenously. When they broke apart for air, Spike rested his forehead against hers. “Buffy.”

“Hmmm?” she murmured, unable to think coherently at the moment.

“I can say with absolute certainty that I am desperately, hopelessly and deeply in love with you.”

Immediately her eyes welled up in tears.

“Buffy?” Spike asked, concerned.

“I’m just,” she pressed her face into his chest. “Those words fill me with dread and joy at the same time. Does that make sense?”

Spike gathered her close and held on to her tightly, “Yes it does. It makes me happy to hear you say it if that helps.”

“You have the power to break my heart now,” Buffy murmured, looking up at me. “Please don’t break it,” she begged. “I could stand it from the others; I don’t think I could stand it from you.”

“I won’t break your heart Buffy. I promise,” he whispered fiercely.

She shook her head, tears running down her cheeks unchecked, “You can’t promise something like that. You can’t even tell me about your family!”

Spike took a deep breath. “Buffy—“

“Despite that, I’m falling anyway,” she told him softly.

“I won’t ever let you go,” he vowed passionately. “Never. I won’t let you fall alone. I’m right here to catch you. Always, baby.”
“I’m going to be difficult,” she warned.

He chuckled, “I expect no less.”

“I’m going to be a bitch and I’m going to get angry and scared—“

“If you’re trying to scare me, Buffy—“

“I’m not; I’m just being honest with you. You know by now that I’m far from easy.”

He reached out and caressed the side of her face, looking at her tenderly. “We’re in this together.”

She nodded, “Okay.”

“And you know, you just proved me right.”

“About?” she asked, her eyebrows knitting in confusion.

He smiled tenderly. “You have a big heart Buffy Summers and you are able to love.”

She smiled back, “And I said it first.”

He chuckled, “Will wonders never cease!”

She playfully hit him.

“Though that could have to do with the fact that you like to be first in everything,” he teased.

She laughed, then, “Spike, about your family—“

He took a deep breath. “Buffy, I want to tell you everything. Especially now.”

She bit her lip. “I understand that people have dysfunctional families Spike. Every family is a little dysfunctional. I’ve just never seen someone – unless they have been abused – be filled with such dread and apprehension to tell someone—especially someone they claim to love—about them. I have to say, I almost don’t want you to tell me.”

“I have to though,” Spike said, leading her to a chair and sitting down on it, settling her down on his lap. “It’s . . . complicated Buffy.”

“Oh God,” her eyes widened.” Your father is really your uncle.”

Spike laughed, “No.”

“Your mother is really your aunt?”

“No, however both my uncle and aunt are key to this story.”

“How so?” she asked curiously.

“They can . . . let’s just say that they have the ability to decide our fate.”

Buffy started to get up from his lap and he held her there. “Just stay with me, kitten.”

“You’re scaring me.”

“Buffy, do you believe in Gods and Goddesses?”

She blinked. “Come again?”

“Do you believe—“

”Yeah, I heard you the first time. Trying to figure out—I’ve got it. You’re heavily religious people. Oh! Oh! You’re pagans. Spike that doesn’t bother me. Truthfully, I lean toward those kinds of beliefs than most of the organized religions out there—“

He shook his head, “That’s not quite it Buffy. Close, but not quite. Just answer me, do you believe in Gods and Goddesses?”

“Like . . . Zeus and Hera kinds of Gods and Goddesses?” she asked carefully.

“Exactly that. Do you?”

“I—truthfully, I don’t know. I’ve read about them in school and stuff but it’s not like I’ve ever come in contact with them and can I just tell you how bizarre this conversation is?”

“Do you believe in Eros?”

“The God of Love?”

Spike nodded.

Buffy nodded thoughtfully. “I guess so. I mean, I kind of feel about him the way I feel about Zeus and Hera. I’ve read about him, but never had direct connection with him or anything.” She turned wide eyes to him. “Is this part of the test? If I don’t believe in the Greek Gods, I’m not fit to be with you?”

Spike shook his head, smiling, “Well, it’s not that exactly,” he said slowly.

“Then what is it exactly?”

“Buffy how would you feel if I told you that my uncle is Eros, and his wife, my aunt, is none other than Psyche?”

“I would say that perhaps you’re the one we should have been psychoanalyzing.”

“Buffy, it’s true. Eros is my uncle and Psyche is my aunt. My mother is not a Goddess, but she was made immortal by my aunt to keep her family together. And my father, he was chosen by my mother for her mate and he was made immortal. They made me, which makes me immortal.” He took a deep breath while Buffy stared at him, expressionless. “Buffy, I love you with all that I am and I want to spend eternity with you. I want to make you immortal so that we can be together forever. What do you say?”