Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Cobweb for my lovely banner and for encouraging me to write this :)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


“So, Buffy, how have you been enjoying your visit?” Eros asked later when Buffy and Spike stopped in.

Buffy smiled. “It’s so beautiful here. And yet, some things are just like being on Earth.”

Eros smiled, “Well, we might not have a McDonald’s up here, but yes, some things are the same. Earth is fashioned in its likeness. Some things humans ran with, others were given.”

“Like fire,” Buffy grinned and Eros stared at her for a minute, cocking his head to the side in a manner that she’d seen Spike do so many times.

“Uh, Uncle,” Spike started hesitantly, “Buffy wanted to talk with you about some things…”

“Oh?” Eros asked, looking directly at Buffy, a small smile on his face.

Buffy quirked a brow and smirked. “Yeah.” She had a feeling he’d been waiting for this, in fact, along with Giles, she felt she had a friend in Eros. And he was a God to boot. Who could beat that?

“Why don’t you see your aunt, Spike? She’s been asking about you,” Eros suggested to Spike.

Spike nodded slowly, gazing from Buffy to Eros. “Okay…”

“Don’t worry, Spike. I won’t frighten her,” Eros chuckled.

Nodding once more, Spike pecked Buffy on the cheek and bounded off in search of his Aunt Psyche.

Sitting down at his desk, Eros folded his hands before him and smiled at Buffy. “What can I do for you, Buffy?”

“I think you knew I was coming sooner or later, didn’t you?” Buffy asked settling in the chair opposite him.

Eros grinned. “I had a feeling.”

“The feeling being you knew I was going to have some questions about my business.”

“Of course.” He gestured to her. “Fire away.”

“Did you have a hand in it?”

“Meaning?”

“Did you help me match them?”

“What do you think?”

Buffy studied him closely, chewing her bottom lip. “No, I don’t think you did.” And she prayed that she was right.

“You have faith in your abilities then?”

“Had. Operative word. Past tense: had.”

“I know,” Eros said nodding, “And why was that?”

“You’re a God, don’t you know?”

“Humor me.”

“I was burnt out, lost and well, bitter.”

“And you’re not now?”

“Well, I won’t lie and say I’m magically cured, but Spike has a way about him that restores faith. Even if I was hard on him at the start.”

“Why was that, do you think?” Eros asked, sitting back and putting his hands together, almost as if in prayer, but only the pads of his fingers touched one another.

“Why I was hard on him?”

“Yes.”

“What is this therapy?”

Eros grinned. “Forgive me. I find mortals and human nature fascinating. It helps to have one hand on the pulse of humanity, being in the position I’m in. Do you know I frequent Earth when possible?”

“You do?” Buffy asked, astonished, trying to wrap her mind around a God visiting Earth. “How do you, you know, go incognito? I mean you’re so…Sparkly.”

Eros laughed, a laugh that came from his belly and Buffy relaxed, knowing she hadn’t offended him.

“Well, I’m a God, so I can shift into making myself look human. I come down to Earth, watch those that I want to match, watch mating habits and see what is, what do you call it – hip?”

Buffy smiled, “Something like that.”

“You’re business has helped many, Buffy. Myself included. I’ve watched you for quite some time, watched your business grow, and watched your technique, the way you genuinely want to help people find love.”

“I kind of missed the boat for myself didn’t I?”

“Noone, as you know, is perfect when it comes to finding matches for themselves. That’s where you and I come in.”

Her eyes widened and she shook her head. “I am in no way in your league, Eros. You’re a God.”

“And I just got done telling you how you’ve helped me do my job. You lightened the work load for me.”

“Still trying to wrap my mind around it,” Buffy muttered, looking down at her hands.

“You are much too hard on yourself. You hit a slump. I know you are an independent sort of woman that does not like to think that she needs a man to make her complete – and for all intents and purposes, you don’t. But it helps, doesn’t it? Having love? Having someone that thinks the world of you the way my nephew does? It’s dificult I find for a mortal to admit that they need love and need another, but the hard truth is, it’s in your makeup to need others. A lid, as they say, for every pot. And sometimes that lid is a good friend. Connections are important for a mortal to survive in the world. It’s a hard enough world to live in, I know, I’ve seen it. Trying to live it alone,” he shook his head, “I can’t imagine.”

“Why Spike?” Buffy asked softly, his speech having moved her. “I mean, why not a mortal man?”

Eros smiled, “Because I knew he was your match. I knew his soul was mated to yours. That’s my job. You crave unconditional love and fun, Spike craves fun and someone to keep him, dare I say, a bit grounded?”

Buffy giggled. “I’ll say.”

“You love him, correct?”

Buffy looked down and smiled softly. “I think he should be the first to hear that.”

“You haven’t told him yet?” Eros asked, aghast.

“I was…no, I haven’t. I told you I hadn’t been magically cured!”

Eros laughed. “I’m surprised my impatient nephew has been able to wait for it! See? You’re giving him direction and helping him grow already.”

“Eros?”

“Yes, my dear?”

“Can I do it? Can I do my business again?”

“Come, let me show you something.” Standing, he waved at her to follow him and she stood, allowing him to lead her to the center of the room.

Her eyes popped. “Is that the--”

“The crystal ball? Yes, it is. It’s how I’ve kept tabs on you for so long Miss Summers.”

Buffy smiled, but was unable to tear her eyes away from the large milky ball. She watched in fascination as Eros waved his hand over it and said, “Show me Willow.”

Willow appeared then, smiling happily, and on the arm of none other than Oz.

“I chose him for her!” Buffy exclaimed.

“Exactly.”

“And Xander?”

“They’ve decided to stay friends. In fact, Xander has decided to visit you once more and fill out another form.”

“Wow,” Buffy breathed, watching Willow and Oz kiss. She looked away, blushing. “But that’s one success after so many duds!”

“It feels good, does it not?”

“Oh God yes,” Buffy agreed on a whisper. “I thought I was going to have to hand over my business to Spike.”

Eros raised a brow. “Lock, stock and barrel?”

Buffy nodded, “I was ready to be done forever.”

“How about making him your partner?”

Buffy smiled and nudged him lightly, “You and your Godlike ways.”

“And how are you feeling about other matters?”

“Oh, you mean whether or not to become immortal or not?”

“Yes.”

“You’re a God, why don’t you tell me?” Buffy said, smirking up at him.

Eros smiled, “I think it’s only fair that Spike hear first, don’t you?”

Buffy nodded, “I completely agree.”

“Then why don’t I leave you to it? I’m sure the boy is crawling out of his skin waiting to get back to your company.”

Buffy smiled fondly. “Thank you, Eros.”

“We’ll talk soon, yes? When we have other matters to sort out?”

“Like my family…Yes. We’ll talk soon.”