Author's Chapter Notes:
Some dialogue from "School Hard".
Chapter 11

“Who was that?” Willow asked.

“Who was what?”

“I peeked outside to see if you needed help and you were talking to some guy. Who was he?”

“Nobody,” Buffy said. “He saw me helping the girl who was vamp bait out there.” She didn’t want to lie to Willow, but she couldn’t tell her she knew who Spike was, either.

It was weird keeping secrets from her best friend, though. She’d never had to do that before.

“Oh. Did you stake the vamp?”

“Yeah, no biggie. He was too focused on lunch to notice me before his time was up.”

“That’s a relief! Imagine if you had to fight?” Willow shuddered, her eyes wide. “Buffy, you really shouldn’t run off to save everybody anymore, especially alone. It’s really dangerous.”

“I know…it’s just…it’s automatic now. People are so clueless about what goes on in the dark, how can I not act? I can’t un-know what I know.”

“Still…take back-up? Xander and I are here for you.”

Buffy reached over and hugged her. “Thanks, Will. I’ll try to think before I slay.”

“That’s all I ask.”

It was a shame the whole Guardian thing had to be so secret. She really wanted to tell Willow about putting the whammy on a vamp. So cool! Could she mind-mojo anyone, or just demons, and how did she make it work? She would’ve used the payphone at The Bronze to ask Lillian right now, but she didn’t have any change.

Well, it was a good reason to make curfew—Buffy couldn’t wait to find out what else she could do now.

****

Sheila walked with two guys down an alley. “Alright, which one’s Dwayne and which one’s Dell.” She hiccupped. Don’t tell me. Dell’s the one with the tattoos. You guys weren’t lyin’ about havin’ a Cadillac, were you? ‘Cause I’m crazy about a Cad. Just the feel of the leather makes me wanna…”

She stopped and looked back for Dwayne. He was gone.

“Where’d you go?”

She looked at Dell and he was gone, too.

“What’s going on? Where are you guys? Not funny!” She turned around and a man with bleach-blond hair was there. “Who are you?”

“Who do you want me to be?”

“Did you see…?”

“Those two losers who thought they were good enough for you?”

“What happened to ‘em?”

“They got sleepy.”

“Huh?”

“And you got something a whole lot better.” He slowly walked past her and down the alley.

“Hey, wait up? What’s your name?” She ran after him.

****

“Home early? I must be looking at someone else’s daughter,” her mother teased.

“Ha, ha. Goodnight, Mom.”

“You don’t have to run off, honey. I’ll be up watching TV for a while.”

“Nah, The Tonight Show’s not my speed.” She ran upstairs before her mother roped her into watching the news.

Dialing Lillian’s number in her room, she hoped the Guardian wasn’t asleep.

“Hello?”

“I met Spike tonight and mind-controlled him. How did that happen?”

“Good evening to you, too, Buffy.”

She blushed. “Sorry. But you didn’t tell me I could make a vampire do things!”

“Tell me what happened.”

Buffy relayed the meeting, her fellow Guardian listening silently until she was finished.

“Hard to believe it’s the end of September already…” Lillian muttered.

“What?”

“It’s good to see your power manifested so quickly, Buffy, and when you needed it. We aren’t fighters, but like we said before, we are not defenseless. I don’t know how strong your ability will be right now, dear. Over time, you might become very powerful, but I don’t recommend searching for vampires to practice on.”

“Does it only work on vampires?”

“I don’t know.”

“How do I use it on purpose? How long does the whammy last? Will Spike know I did it?”

“One question at a time, please, Buffy. Deliberate use of your power comes with focus and practice. I can work with you on that. As for the rest, you will have to consult with Sarah. Until you, I was the newest, so I’ve never trained another Guardian before.”

She sighed. “So what am I supposed to do with Spike now? He meets me at The Bronze tomorrow night to talk. I can slip away after the Parent-Teacher thing.”

“You’ll be at the high school? What about Kendra?”

“Patrolling with Giles as usual, I guess. Is something supposed to happen tomorrow night?”

“Doubtful…”

“I really hate that you know stuff about my life that hasn’t happened yet,” Buffy said.

“Potential things. The time line was altered the moment we channeled your Slayer power away.”

“Yeah, yeah…alternate universe and all that crap. Paradoxes give me a headache.”

Lillian chuckled. “Back to William the Bloody—if he shows for your meeting, be careful, but learn what he wants. Depending on the request, we might help him.”

“Why is he so important, anyway? The only vamp I wouldn’t stake is Angel because he has a soul.”

“Every creature has a destiny, Buffy. Goodnight. I’ll see you soon.”

“Yeah, okay.”

Lillian hung up. Buffy set the phone on the cradle. The Guardians weren’t as cryptic as Angel, but she still hated being denied answers to her questions. She couldn’t help being curious. It was as much a part of her as her love for shoes and cheese.

Not sleepy, she turned on some music and brought out her journal, jotting down all her questions. Since Spike said he wanted to kill her, he obviously wasn’t another vampire with a soul. What good could a soulless vampire do? Eat someone evil-er?

No way would she be able to convince Kendra to save a vampire for the greater good. She’d never believe it. The Slayer was suspicious of everyone but Giles…well, and Xander, but Xander was harmless and apparently properly boy-shaped for Kendra. Really was cute how she blushed and stammered every time she was in a room with him. Xander was oblivious as usual.

Anyway…

Buffy wrote who is Spike’s sire? She’d seen loyalty in the Master’s minions, but vamps generally didn’t get along, so what made Spike want to cure his maker? She’d have to try to find Giles’ book on vamps and look them up. Angel might know, but good luck getting him to talk lately.

Dude, awkward much? How did someone so old have that little game? Or maybe he couldn’t help it and had one of those social anxiety disorders she’d seen on Oprah. He’d never been good at conversation.

“Ugh. Note to self: find a nice normal boy to crush on.”

Except she wasn’t normal, herself, and any boy will eventually figure that out and run for the hills.

There has to be something wrong with me for giving up the easy life.

****

A dark-haired woman lifted up a doll in her collection and turned it away. “Miss Edith speaks out of turn. She’s a bad example and will have no cakes today. Shhh.”

Spike came up behind her. “Darling, are you going to eat something.”

“I’m not hungry. I miss Prague.”

“You nearly died in Prague. Idiot mob. This is the place for us.” He led her to the bed. “The Hellmouth will restore you, put color in your cheeks, metaphorically speaking, and in a few week’s time…”

She lay back on the bed. “The stars will align and smile down on us.”

He leaned over her. “And then, God, this town will burn.”

She giggled. “A pretty fire!”

He rolled over her and lay down next to her.

“They’re preparing.”

“St. Vigeous is coming up. Should be a party.”

“You should go up with them and cleanse.”

“Dru…”

“The boy doesn’t trust you. They follow him.” She sat up. “I think sometimes that all my hair will fall out and I’ll be bald.”

Spike sat up. “Never happen. Alright.” He got off the bed. “I’ll go up and get chant-y with the fellas, but you got to do me one favor.” He took a tied-up Sheila off a hook. “Eat something.” And handed her to Dru and left.

She turned Sheila to the dolls. “You see, Miss Edith? If you’d been good you could watch with the rest.” She roared and struck for a violent bite.

****

Thursday…

The Scoobies were in the library. Willow checked a crossbow. Miss Calendar walked behind her with wood to make stakes and set the pieces on the table between Cordelia and Xander, who whittled.

Buffy chopped a cucumber for her vegetable tray.

“For three nights the unholy ones scourge themselves into a fury, um, culminating in a savage attack on the night of St. Vigeous,” Giles said.

St. Vigeous was some vampire sacred holiday, or something. Giles was freaking out about Kendra facing it when she hadn’t been here long.

“Does anybody remember when Saturday night meant date night?”

“You sure don’t,” Cordelia said to Xander.

“Ooo! Parents start arriving in an hour. Okay, so, um, banners are in place, the lounge is comfy... What am I forgetting?”

“Punch?” Willow suggested.

“Punch. I need, I need punch!”

“My fingers are cramping. How long have I been doing this?” Cordelia asked.

“Three minutes,” Xander said.

“So, can I go now? Kendra doesn't need this many stakes.”

“I’m punch-bound,” Buffy said. She left the library. Xander and Cordelia reached for the veggie tray. Buffy stuck her head back in. “No!”

Geeze, couldn’t they leave one veggie platter alone? This night was a big deal. While Buffy’s grades were a lot better than last year when she was a Slayer—or she thought they were—her mom still needed to be convinced she was being a good student now. And then, there was Snyder on her ass.

Later…

Buffy scooped punch into cups. Willow joined her.

“What kinda punch did you make?”

“Uh, lemonade.” She handed Willow a cup. “I made it fresh and everything.”

“How much sugar did you use?” She took a sip.

“Sugar?”

Willow put the cup down. “It’s very good.”

“Okay, now all I have to do is keep my mother and Snyder from crossing paths for the rest of the night.”

“Hi, Mrs. Summers.”

“Hi, Willow. Hi, honey. Did you, uh, do all this?”

“Yeah! Um, here, have some lemonade. Right after Willow shows you the library. I have to stay here and hostess.”

“Great, the library. Uh, um, ooo, no, G-Giles and everyone...”

“…is locked in there studying. Right. French class it is!”

Willow led her mother away. Snyder came up.

“Was that your mother?”

Buffy grabbed a cup and a ladle full of lemonade and turned to him. “Here. Oh! Oh, sorry! Um, yeah! Yeah, I was gonna introduce you, but, um, she wouldn't have said much. Y'know, she doesn't speak a word of English.”

Snyder followed after her mother and Willow. Buffy groaned and looked up at the clock. 6:15PM.

Maybe it won’t be so bad? Buffy hadn’t been in trouble all year, and Snyder seemed determined to blame her past record on her for eternity, but what could he say about September?

At 8:45, Cordelia walked in. “Giles has us locked up in that library working on her weapons. Even slaves get minimum wage.” She stared at Buffy’s face.

“What?”

“You're starting to look a little slagged. What, are you just skipping foundation entirely now?”

“Cordelia…”

“Is that your mom? Now that is a woman that knows how to moisturize. Did it, like, skip a generation?”

“Well, I believe that I have seen every classroom on campus,” Buffy’s mother said.

“Oh! Oh. Um, but you haven't seen the boiler room yet. And, you know, that's really interesting, what with the boiler being in the room and all.”

Snyder came up to the group. Mom offered her hand. “Hi. I’m Joyce Summers. Buffy’s mother.”

“Principal Snyder. My office is down here.” He walked away and Mom followed.

“This can’t be good.”

“But you did such a good job,” Willow said.

“When they’re done talking…”

“What?” Buffy asked.

“My guess? Tenth high school reunion, you'll still be grounded.”

Buffy glared at her. No one had complained about Parent-Teacher Night. No one!

“Cordelia, have some lemonade,” Willow said. Cordelia went to the punch table.

****

Mom and Snyder left his office. Mom came up looking tired.

“Let’s go home.”

Willow exchanged a look with Buffy, who then started following her mother out. Snyder started turning off the lights. We left the lounge.

Snyder went to another switch by the back wall next to a large window and turned it off. Two vampires suddenly crashed through the window.

Buffy looked back into the room. Several more vampires stormed into the room.

People panicked and began running. Buffy went in the room. The vampires lined up.

The last to come in is Spike. “What can I say? I couldn’t wait.” He attacked.

Buffy threw a chair at him. He tripped. She ran out of the room, grabbing her mother’s hand, and turned down the hall, but more vampires were coming their way. She reversed course.

“Nobody gets out! Especially the girl!” Spike yelled.

Another vampire at the exit. Buffy changed direction again. “Everybody, this way! C'mon! C'mon!” Stupid, impatient vampire. Couldn’t he have waited near The Bronze a bit longer?

Sure, they hadn’t set a time, but…

Snyder and several others ran past her as she shoved a cleaning cart into the two vampires chasing them.

Buffy led her group to the library.

“What the hell…?” Giles exclaimed.

“Vampire army! Look out!”

Jenny noticed the vampire behind them and screamed.

“Back!” Giles yelled.

Giles, Miss Calendar, and Xander ran back into the library and held the door shut while the vampire slammed into it.

Buffy opened the door to the science classroom. “In here! Now!” The people ran into the room. Buffy was last and closed the door.

Two vampires began banging on the door.

Snyder and a parent maneuvered a storage cabinet in front of the door. Buffy ran to the other door and closed and locked it. The power went out.

Great. Where was Kendra?

****

Spike still held onto the parent outside the lounge.

“We cut the power. Nobody got out,” a minion said.

“And the Slayer?”

“She either went that way.” He pointed to his right. “Or that way.” He pointed to his left. “I saw two others.”

“You don't know?” He let go of the man. “I'm a veal kind of guy. You're too old to eat.” He grabbed the man’s head and snapped his neck. “But not to kill. I feel better.”

****

“Who are those people, and what do they want?” the parent asked.

“I didn't get much of a look, but is there something wrong with their faces? I...” Mom said

“Yes! PCP! It’s a gang on PCP! We’ve gotta get out of here.” Snyder grabbed a desk, set it in front of a window, and started climbing.

“You can’t go outside! They’ll kill you!” Yeah, he was a horrible toad of a man, but she had principles.

“You don’t tell me! I tell you!”

She pulled him down. “They will kill everybody in this room. Nobody goes out; nobody comes in until I say so. Do you hear me?”

“Who do you think you are?”

“I'm the one that knows how to stop them.” She looked up and walked across the room, trying to find a way into the ceiling. Mom grabbed her shoulders.

“Buffy, are you crazy? Look, I know you've been accused of fighting and other things, but those guys are serious. You can't go out there.”

“I know. That’s why I’m going up there.” She grabbed a stool, set it on a lab table, climbed up and pushed a ceiling panel aside, then looked down at her mom. “Don’t worry, Mom.” She lifted herself into the ceiling.

****

“Slaaayer! Here, kitty, kittyyy. I find one of your friends first, I'm gonna suck 'em dry. And use their bones to bash your head in.”

Spike kicked a door open.

“Are you getting a word picture here?”

He was about to kick another door open when he heard something.

“Spike! Listen…”

They listen and hear something above.

Spike sang, “Someone's in the ceeeeeiling!”

****

In the library, Giles stuffed several stakes into his jacket pockets, grabbed a battle-ax from the table, and headed to the door.

“Hey-hey-hey-hey! What are you doing?”

He started tearing down the barricade they constructed.

“There are at least three vampires in that hall! God only knows how many others in the building!”

“Listen! I am the Watcher! Buffy is defenseless, and I have, I have to go!” He started pushing things aside again.

“Rupert! Be careful.”

“Push these back as soon as I--”

Buffy broke through the ceiling and dropped to the floor. Giles lifted his ax.

“Buffy! You’re all right!” He lowered the ax. Buffy took off her cardigan.

“How are the others?” Miss Calendar asked.

“Principal Snyder, my mother and four others are locked in the science room across the hall. Willow and Cordelia ran the other way. I don't know if they're... Where's Xander?”

“He got out through the stacks. He's getting Angel,” Giles said.

Miss Calendar helped Buffy put crosses and stakes into a bag.

“Good. Okay, I'm gonna take the vamps out in the hall. After that you get my mother and the others out the same way.”

“Let me help you.”

“Giles, my mother's in that room. If I don't make it out of here, I know you'll make sure she does.”

“Bloody right, I will. But you’re not a Slayer anymore. What’s your plan?”

“Well, they split up to hold us here, so I'm gonna take 'em one on one. Set 'em up and knock 'em down.” She grabbed a stool and positioned it under the hole in the ceiling, then got up on the stool and lifted herself back up.

“Buffy, this isn’t wise.”

“Giles, Kendra and Angel aren’t here. Who else is gonna do this?”

“Watch your back.”


Chapter End Notes:
More to come.