Author's Chapter Notes:
Some dialogue from Inca Mummy Girl. Songs by Four Star Mary.
Chapter 13

Giles was training Kendra in the library. Xander and Buffy sat at the table, studying. Well, Xander was trying to study. Buffy had a different agenda.

“So, can she go?”

“I think not.”

Kendra hit the training pad four times. After flinching at every blow, Giles switched to a thicker pad.

Buffy pouted. “How come?”

“Because she is the Chosen One.”

Kendra kicked the pad, sending Giles back a few steps.

“She has responsibilities other girls do not.”

“Oh! I know this one! Staying entails certain sacrifices, blah, blah, blah, I’m so stuffy, gimme a scone.”

“It’s as if you know me.”

Kendra kept kicking. Xander winced at each blow.

“Her secret identity is hard enough to maintain at school.”

“I think going to the dance like a normal person would be the best way to keep that secret. Giles, come on, budge! No one likes a non-budger.”

“Fine! Go.”

“Yay! I win.”

“I’ll just go and introduce my shoulder to an icepack.

“You win at what?” Kendra asked. Buffy grinned. She’d counted on Kendra being so focused on training and not listening.

“I guess we’re dance-bound. Cool. I think I can get my mom’s car, so I’m wheel man,” Xander said.

“Then you can pick up Kendra on the way to my house.”

“Pick me up? Where are we going?” Kendra narrowed her eyes at Buffy. “What are you scheming at now?”

“I don’t scheme. And to the dance, of course. Giles already said you can.” She would turn Kendra into a teenager, yet.

“But--”

“Hey, guys,” Willow said, coming in.

“We were just talkin’ about happy things.” Xander put his arm around her and pulled her over to the table. “Like the four of us going to the dance together.”

“Three of you. I am not going. It is a waste of time and--”

“Angel can patrol for a few hours. The world won’t end because you go to a dance, Kendra. Take the time when Giles lets you. Trust me.”

Kendra rolled her eyes and left to change out of her sweaty gym clothes.

Willow wore her sympathy face. “Still fighting the cultural conversion, huh?”

“Big time. I know she was raised to be a Slayer, but there has to be some part of her in there that wants to have fun. I just have to find it.”

****

Outside Sunnydale High, the next morning.

Cordelia and Devon walked down the stairs to a van. “Devon, I told you I’d be at the dance tonight, but I am not one of your little groupies. I won’t be all doe-eyed looking up at you, standing at the edge of the stage.”

“Got it.”

“So, I’ll see you afterward?”

“Sure. Where do you wanna meet?”

“I’ll be standing at the edge of the stage.”

“With that guy?”

“Sven! Momento! Needa!” She looked back at Devon. “This whole student exchange thing has been a horrible nightmare. They don’t even speak American. So, I’ll see you later?” She let him kiss her cheek. “Bye!” She started up the stairs, then turned back when Sven didn’t follow. “Sven! Come?”

Sven followed. Devon smirked and went to his bandmate, dealing with their equipment.

“Oz, man! What do you think?”

“Of what?”

“Cordelia, man!”

“She’s a wonderland tour.”

“You gotta admit, the girl is hot!”

“Yeah, she’s a hot girl.”

“Let me guess: not your type? What does a girl have to do to impress you?”

“Well, it involves a feather boa and the theme to A Summer Place. I can’t discuss it here.”

“You’re too picky, man. Do you know how many girls you could have? You’re lead guitar, Oz. It’s currency!”

“I’m not picky. You’re just impressed by any pretty girl that can walk and talk.”

“She doesn’t have to talk.”

****

“I worked really hard on my costume. It’s pretty cool,” Willow said.

“Okay, but what about me? I’ve gotta think,” Xander said.

“Well, it’s a celebration of cultures. There are lots of dress-up alternatives.”

“And a corresponding equal number of mocking alternatives. All aimed at me.”

“Bavarians are cool.”

“Okay, no shirts with ruffles, no hats with feathers, and definitely no lederhosen. They make my calves look fat.”

“Why are you suddenly worried about looking like an idiot? That came out wrong.”

Xander didn’t take offense as he watched Buffy and Kendra arrive. Kendra caught Xander’s eye and looked down at her feet, blushing. Willow noticed the exchange.

“Will, I need your help with French again. Xander, why don’t you keep Kendra company at lunch?”

“Love to.”

“I train in the library--”

“Ah, fresh air and sunlight will do you good,” he said, and walked her to class.

Buffy felt she might have found Kendra’s weakness.

“They like each other,” Willow said.

“What better way to remind Kendra she’s human, not a Slayer robot?”

****

Xander and Kendra sat on the bleachers for the football field.

“This,” he said, reaching into his book bag. “Is called a snack food.” He held up a Twinkie.

“That is food?”

“Yeah. It’s a delicious, spongy, golden cake stuffed with a delightful creamy, white substance of goodness. And here’s how you eat it.” He stuffed the whole thing in his mouth.

She laughed.

“Mm-hm.” He brought out another Twinkie and handed it to her.

She studied it and took a tentative bite.

“Good, huh? And the exciting part is they have no ingredients that a human can pronounce. So it doesn’t leave you with that heavy…food feeling in your stomach.

“You are strange.”

“Girls always tell me that. Right before they run away.”

“I’m not running.”

“I like that.”

She looked down at her lap.

“Please, don’t learn from my English.”

They hear the bell ring. Kendra gathered her books and started down the bleachers. Xander admired the nimble way she hopped from row to row, then followed her.

In the halls, he got the gumption up to say something.

“Okay, I have something to tell you. And it’s kind of a secret, and it’s, um, a little bit scary. I like you. A lot. And I want you to go to the dance with me.”

“Why was that so scary?”

“Well, because you never know if a girl’s gonna say yes, or if…she’s gonna laugh in your face and pull out your still-beating heart and crush it into the ground with her heel.”

“Then you are courageous.”

“Oh.”

“I like you, too.”

“Really?”

“Yes.”

“That’s great! Really?”

She smiled and felt her face warm again. “Really.”

“That’s great! So, the dance?”

“I will go with you.”

Xander broke into a big smile and took her hand. Kendra snatched it away, then relaxed her arm.

“Can I?” he asked.

“Maybe later.”

They went to class.

****

Buffy convinced Kendra to get ready for the dance at her house.

“Your mother was very generous to make me this,” Kendra said, zipping up long skirt. She was doing her own take on Jamaican traditional dress with a prairie-type skirt paired with one of her midriff tops and a matching headband in the same red plaid as the skirt.

“She was glad to. I haven’t asked her to make a costume in years. Would’ve helped, but I’m all thumbs when it comes to sewing.”

“What is the culture you are dressed in?”

Buffy fiddled with her top and skirt in the mirror. “Los Angeles. It’s the only one I know.” Cleavage, miniskirts, and kick-ass high heels.

The doorbell rang.

“Oh! That’s Xander and Willow. I’ll get it.” She ran downstairs and opened the door.

Xander walked in dressed as some guy from one of those old Westerns her dad liked.

“I’ve come for the dance.”

“And, uh, what culture are you?”

“I’m from the country of Leone. It’s in Italy pretending to be Montana. And where are you from?”

“Where’s Willow?”

“She’s not coming…with us.”

“Oh! On a date. Romance, lips…”

Xander took off his hat, his eyes going to the top of the stairs.

“Hi, Xander,” Kendra said.

“Hho hee ze thee ai uh…”

“I can translate American salivating boy talk. He says you’re beautiful.”

“Hyav su.”

“You’re welcome.”

Kendra reached the bottom of the stairs and stood next to Xander. Mom walked in.

“Kendra, don’t you look wonderful! Oh, I wish you could talk my daughter into wearing a costume.”

“She is very stubborn.”

“Well, I’m glad someone else sees that.”

Buffy gave her mother a look. Mom wasn’t fazed.

“We should go.”

****

At The Bronze, Dingoes Ate My Baby played Shadows.

She’s in ecstasy
Her hollowed sky
Pours down heavenly
Fakes desire

Cordelia entered.

I’ve been living here
In the red
I’ve been feeling I’m
Dead again

She spotted Willow wearing an Eskimo costume. “Oh! Near faux pas! I almost wore the same thing.” She kept on her way, leaving Willow standing alone.

We’ve been bored before

Cordelia found her friend. “Hey!”

“Where’s Sven?”

“Ohhh, I keep trying to ditch him. He’s like one of those dogs that you leave at the Grand Canyon on vacation? It follows you back across four states.” Sven found them. “See? My own, speechless, human boomerang.”

I have never felt
So alone

“He’s kinda cute. Maybe it’s nice skippin’ all that small talk.”

“Small talk? How ‘about simple instruction.”

Since the time we left ourselves
Half past gone

“Get punchy,” she ordered Sven. “You! Fruit drinky!”

We’ve been living here
Up against the red

“He can follow me.” Cordelia’s friend took his hand and led him away.

I’ve been feeling I’m
Dead again
We’ve been bored before

Xander and Kendra arrived. He took her hand. This time, she didn’t pull away.

We’ll be bored again
We’ve been bored before and again

They spot Willow.

“Wow. You guys look great.”

“You’re costume is very authentic,” Kendra said.

“Thanks.”

“Yeah, you look, um…snug.”

“That’s what I was going for. Where’s Buffy?”

She’s in ecstasy
Her hollowed sky

Willow stiffly looks around. She can hardly move in the thick coat.

“She’s getting drinks.”

Xander turned to Kendra. Do you, um… Would you like to, uh…you know…”

“What?”

He gestured to the floor filled with swaying students.

“Oh. Um, yes.”

Xander removed his hat and poncho, took her hand, and led her to the dance floor.

The band started a new song, Fate.

Time’s healing, I’m ahead
Find a reason once again
Take a moment outta time
I’ll be standing back behind

On a wing
So outta line

Mm, taken in
So outta time

Willow watched with longing.

Xander and Kendra touched hands and slowly intertwined their fingers. He smiled at her.

Oz stared at a girl in the crowd. “Hey.”

Devon moved over to him.

“That girl. Who is she?”

“She’s an exchange student. I think she’s from Jamaica.”

“No, not her. The Eskimo!”

Devon moved back to the mike. Oz stared at Willow.

Sound the season in my head

Xander looked deep into Kendra’s eyes as they slow-danced.

…so outta time
All it takes is living
I want to fly

She leaned into his cheek.

I’ve never known fate

Then looked up into Xander’s eyes

I’ve never known your name

They moved in to kiss.

I’ve never known fate

Their lips were about to meet, then Kendra pulled away. “Excuse me,” she muttered, and ran off.

Xander stared after her, confused. “Okay, at least I can rule out something I said.”

Someone take me home
Get me outta here

He followed after her and stopped by Willow.

“Have you seen Kendra?” She shifted. “What was that?”

“I shrugged.”

“Next time you should probably say ‘shrug’.”

He continued looking. Dang Slayer speed.

“Sigh.”

Sven walked by.

“I thought this exchange student thing would be a great deal. But look what I got stuck with! ‘Momento!’ ‘Punchy fruity drinky!’ Is Cordelia even from this country?” he ranted to Cordelia’s friend.

Xander finally found Kendra coming out of the girls’ bathroom.

“Slayer emergency?”

“No, I, uh… I’m thirsty.”

“Okay. Snack bar’s that way.” She started ahead of him. He placed his hand on her back as they walked.

She looked up at him in surprise. He didn’t notice, looking over her head to guide her through the crowded club. Truthfully, she’d never kissed a boy before and that moment of wanting to put her off guard. She wasn’t supposed to socialize with boys. Wasn’t supposed to want him to like her, smile at her. This was a distraction from her duties.

A very tempting distraction.

“What would you like, my lady? You can have the carbonated beverage of your choice as long as it’s Coke or Diet Coke.” Oddly enough, The Bronze was best at making coffee. Maybe they lured away a barista from the Espresso Pump.

“Water, please.”

“You’re really not a sugar kinda gal, are you?”

“My Watcher said--”

“A good Slayer should eat her veggies. Got it. But he’s not here.” Xander handed her a Coke. “You’ll like it. Would I steer you wrong with junk food?”

“No. On that you seem to be an expert.” She popped up the tab, breaking the seal on the can. Cola started bubbling out.

“Drink. Hurry!”

Xander’s can let out a little spray and he did the same, sucking up cola until it stopped trying to overflow.

He was the first boy she’d ever run into that put her at ease and made her laugh. Not that she’d spent enough time before to laugh, but, he did. She felt allowed to make mistakes. He wouldn’t criticize her if she wasn’t perfect.

****

Buffy watched Xander and Kendra getting along, and smiled. Willow wasn’t so smiley.

“Seems your matchmaking worked.”

“Yup. Now if only one of them doesn’t screw it up.”

“Why would Xander screw it up? She’s beautiful.”

“Oh, I don’t think he’ll try to. But Kendra still has a stake up her butt and Xan has a bit of foot-in-mouth disease. What about you? Did you meet anyone tonight? You look cute in a furry hood.”

“Thanks, but nope. Still single in Willow-ville.”

“Well, don’t look now, but the guitar guy is totally staring.”

Willow arched a brow. “Uh, yeah. At you.”

Buffy shook her head, making her curls swing. “Nuh-uh. His eyes haven’t left you all night.”

“Buffy, I appreciate the attempt, but guys don’t stare at girls like me.” Willow took off the hot coat and left for a cookie.

Xander had been her only hope, and that was a long-shot at best.


Chapter End Notes:
Sorry it took so long for this chapter. I injured my arm over Labor Day weekend (2011) and been rehabbing and dealing with pain ever since. Had to limit my computer time.