Author's Chapter Notes:
Bear with me, folks...Spike will eventually show up, but Buffy has to get to where she's supposed to be first.
Chapter 3

Buffy walked into the library a couple days later after school to find Angel and Giles discussing something. They shut up as soon as she came through the door.

“Hey, guys. What’s up?” she asked.

“Hello, Buffy. We were just discussing Angel’s patrol. Nothing for you to worry about,” Giles said.

“Right…Any word on when the new Slayer is showing up?”

“Not yet. I’ll let you know when, as soon as I hear something.”

“Okay.”

They were both looking at her like they wanted her to leave so they could finish their discussion. Actually, Angel wasn’t looking at her much at all. Buffy was about to demand to know what was going on, when Willow came through the door.

“Buffy, your mom’s out front.”

“Oh, yeah…guess I’ll catch you later, Giles. Later, Angel.”

Buffy followed Willow out to the hallway, giving the men one last look before letting the door swing shut.

“You really think they’re preparing to resurrect the Master?” Giles asked, once they were alone again.

“The Anointed One is definitely up to something,” Angel said.

“Hmm…perhaps we should dig up his remains…dispose of them in a safe manner before these vampires can use them. Watch over the grave tonight.”

“What about Buffy?”

“She has a normal life, now. She doesn’t need to be involved.”

Angel nodded, and left to leave by way of the sewers.


The following morning, Giles was out at the cemetery at first light with a shovel and a sack. Thankfully, the grave was still undisturbed. Once the skeleton was unearthed, he folded it into the burlap sack and placed it in his trunk. He had to go shower before work and would take care of the remains after school.
****

Cordelia approached as Buffy was taking her books out of her locker.

“Cute top,” the cheerleader said in greeting.

“Uh, thanks.” Cordelia was being nice again?

“That thing, on Prom night? Way freaky and traumatic…anyway, I just wanted to say your secret is safe with me…you know, the vampire stuff,” Cordelia said uneasily.

“Thanks, but it’s no big. I’m normal girl now,” Buffy said, shrugging.

“Oh. Explains the wardrobe upgrade…I should get to class.” She smiled and started to walk away. “Oh…cheerleading tryouts are on Friday. You used to do that, right?”

“Yeah…thanks.” She watched Cordelia leave, wondering what alterno-dimension she’d woken up in today.

“Were you and Cordelia just having a civilized conversation?” Willow asked in surprise.

“Yeah, are we in the Twilight Zone and no one told me?” Xander asked.

“Yes, and not that I know of,” Buffy said in turn. “She just wanted to say my secret was safe with her…not that I have to worry about it now.”

“Oh…well, that’s nice. Hey, the bell’s about to ring, so we better mosey,” Willow said.

“Mosey?”

“It’s different!”

“If you’re a cowboy,” Xander snarked.

The trio continued down the hallway on the way to history.
~+~
“Any news, Giles?”

“Same as yesterday, I’m afraid. How are you doing in your classes?”

“Okay. It’s only the first week, so it’s not like I’m swamped. Did Angel find anything interesting on patrol?” She was just curious. Totally didn’t mean she missed slaying. Unh-uh.

“Oh, uh, nothing unusual. Don’t worry, Buffy. Sunnydale is as safe as we can expect.”

“I’m not worried. Just curious. There’s kind of a novelty to finding a new demon, you know. Makes a night interesting…” Yeah, she was fishing, but normal life was just a tad boring. Nothing wrong with living vicariously, right?

“Well, er, maybe you should ask Angel?”

“I would, but I haven’t seen much of him, yet. Guess he’s been busy, picking up my slack,” she said, trying for nonchalant.

“I’m sure you’ll catch up soon. Well, it’s getting late…”

“Rushing off for a hot date, Giles?”

He was just too easy to tease. Yep – polishing the glasses – right on cue. She winked at her former Watcher, and left the library.
~+~
Giles drove outside of town to a remote field, salted the Masters remains, burned them, then scattered the ash. There was no way they would be reviving him now. It was the least he could do to ensure Buffy’s continued safety and peace of mind. He hoped she wasn’t still having the nightmares that first plagued her after Prom Night.

He drove home and changed into something more casual for meeting Jenny Calendar for coffee.
~+~
“Hey, Mom.”

“Hi, honey. Help me bring the groceries in. How was school?”

“Same ol’ thing. Most of my teachers are boring, the food still sucks, and Xander and Willow say ‘hi’.”

“Well, I’m hoping you apply yourself a little better this year? I know school doesn’t seem like fun most of the time, but it’s a necessary evil. You have to start thinking about college.”

“Yes, Mom.” Buffy placed the bags on the counter. “I found out that cheerleading tryouts are Friday.”

“Oh? You seemed to enjoy it back at Hemery. Is that something you’re interested in again?”

“Maybe…I don’t know. I’m not really with that crowd anymore, you know? The girls are…” she hesitated, trying to come up with a nice way to put it.

“Stuck up and shallow?” Mom provided.

Buffy giggled. “Yeah…I suppose that’s something that doesn’t change with time, huh? Anyway, Cordelia told me about it. She’s kinda nice lately, which is major weird…she could just be setting me up to embarrass myself.”

“Well, do you think she’s the type to play those kinds of games?”

Buffy shook her head. “Nah…Cordelia’s more the type to be totally blunt to your face. I’ve never known her not to say what she thinks.”

“Then I’d probably give her the benefit of the doubt, honey. People often have hidden depths, if you take the time to look.” The last of the groceries were put away. Mom folded the paper bags and placed them in the recycling bin.

“Yeah, yeah…I know. ‘Don’t judge a book by its cover’. Can I go to The Bronze Friday night with Will and Xan?”

“As long as all your work’s done. Would you like me to drive you?”

“Nah, it’s cool. I could use the exercise.”

“Okay. Dinner will be in about an hour.”

“Got it!” Buffy called back as she headed upstairs to start her homework.


Friday…

Buffy hurried home to do her homework, leaving it on her desk for her mom to see, then started getting ready to go to The Bronze. She chose a pink tank top and denim skirt, adding a pair of heeled sandals. A quick brush through her shoulder-length hair and some matching gloss later, she grabbed her purse and headed out the door.

The night was warm with a cool breeze, providing the perfect walking temperature. She was slightly dismayed to feel her heels starting to hurt by the time she got to the club.

Must talk to Mom about getting driving lessons.

“Buffy! Over here!”

“Hey, Wills. Where’s the Xan-man?”

“Getting sodas. You look cute. More new stuff from L.A.?”

“Uh-huh. I think my dad’s still feeling post-divorce guilt which manifested in many shopping trips for me. He’s always super busy, but we got along really well. It was nice.”

“That’s cool.”

“Diet Cokes for the lovely ladies…” Xander set the cups in front of the girls before taking his seat.

“Hey, Xander. Have either of you heard what Angel and Giles are being so secretive about?” the ex-Slayer wondered.

“Buffy?” Willow asked.

“Every time I walk in the room when they’ve been talking, they clam up like there’s some big secret. I was just wondering if I’m the only one out of the loop.”

“Nah…I haven’t overheard anything, Buff. They probably just don’t want to burden you with demon stuff now,” Xander replied.

“Maybe…it’s just annoying.”

“Well, there’s Angel, now, Buffy. Maybe you should ask him?”

Buffy slid off her stool, Willow giving her an encouraging smile. She crossed the club to join the tall vampire where he was standing, scanning the room.

“Hi, Angel.”

“Hey.”

“So…how are things? I haven’t seen you much lately. Could always do with a little supernatural gossip?” Gee, subtle, Buff…

“Not much to report,” he said.

“Um…would you like to join us? We’ve got a table.”

“Maybe later…Friday night and all.”

“Right…vamp fest on teens with later curfews. Well, I’ll just be…over there,” she said, pointing to the table with Willow and Xander.

“Okay.”

Buffy nodded and started to walk away.

“You look nice,” he blurted out.

“Thanks,” she said softly.

Buffy looked over her shoulder a couple more times as she wove her way back to the table, but Angel had already melted into the crowd, probably after a target. She sat down at the table again and sighed, sipping her soda.

“How’d it go?” Willow whispered.

“Still totally awkward…I don’t get it. He did say I look nice, though.”

“Well, that’s something! Maybe he thinks he doesn’t fit anymore, you know, in your life…because you’re not the Slayer anymore. He’s probably just nervous.”

“Maybe…maybe I’ll find out, if I can pin him down long enough to talk. Without the actual…pinning…”

“I get what you mean. Dance?”

“Sure. Xander already wandered off.”

As Buffy bounced around dancing with Willow, she kept an eye out for Angel. She couldn’t spot him, but knew he was watching her, ready to step up if a vamp wanted to try anything.

Had she stayed too long in L.A. and now he wasn’t interested in her? Was it really ‘the Slayer’ that drew him in, not Buffy? Was she just a little girl in his eyes now?

She couldn’t help the doubts that kept creeping into her mind. It was silly, she tried to tell herself. It’s not like they had a traditional relationship. A couple months of kisses and graveyard patrols. Well, she wasn’t going to appear desperate and clingy. She’d try to get him alone to talk, soon, and that would be that.