Chapter 4

Saturday…

“Hi, is this Buffy?”

“Yeah, that’s me.”

“Hey…it’s Cordelia. So, anyway, our advisor liked what you did out there yesterday, and the captains agreed, so…you’re invited to Hell Week, if you’re interested.”

“This is kinda difficult for you, huh?” Buffy said.

“Well, duh…but I’m willing to look past last year, if you are. I figure you’re going for the normal girl thing now? So, what’s better than joining the squad? Colleges pay attention to us, you know. You could get lucky.”

“Thanks, I think.” Buffy thought for a minute, then sighed. “What the hell? I’m in. When and where?”

“Everyday this week in the gym. If you make it through Hell Week, then you’re on the squad. Our advisor has the final say. Good luck, Buffy.” Cordelia hung up.

“Well, life is just full of surprises, these days. Hey, MOM!!”
~+~
Buffy knocked on Angel’s door just around sunset, figuring he would still be there.

“Buffy? What are you doing here? It isn’t safe to be out after dark.”

“I wanted to talk to you, and you’ve been all avoidy. Can I come in?”

He sighed, and moved out of the way. “Yeah. Have a seat.”

“What’s with the secrets between you and Giles?” Best to just get it out in the open, she thought.

“Huh? What secrets?” It was too early in the day for this. He hadn’t even had his first mug of blood, yet.

“Every time I come into the library when you two are talking, you both clam up and give me that ‘You’re interrupting and would you please go away’ look. I’m tired of it, and I want to know what’s going on.”

“Buffy…we’re not ‘keeping secrets’. We just thought that you wouldn’t want to be hearing about demons and stuff now that you don’t have to deal with it. You always complained about slaying interfering with your normal life. Now, you get to live how you want. I can handle all that stuff until the new Slayer arrives. You don’t need to worry about it.”

“I’m not worried! I just don’t want to feel like I’m out of the loop. Yeah, I’m a plain human again, but I know too much to go back into denial about what goes bump in the night. I can still come up with ideas, even if I’m not patrolling anymore. No one knows this town like I do.”

“Like you used to,” he corrected her. “You haven’t been out there since May, Buffy. The demon world is always changing. As soon as the new Slayer arrives and you give her the information she needs, your obligation is paid. Now, how is school so far?”

“It’s fine. I’ve only been there a week. Are you sure there’s nothing else going on?”

“I’m sure. Go talk to Giles. I’m sure he’ll make you feel better. Give me a minute to eat, and then I’ll walk you home, or to Giles’.”

“No…that’s okay. It’s not completely dark, yet. I’ll be fine.”

“Buffy…”

“I’ll be fine! I don’t need to be babied now!” she snapped. Buffy got up and left, slamming the door.

Well, that visit got her absolutely nowhere. Giles was always less evasive. She should have tried him first.
~+~
“Buffy! Have you been walking about at night alone?” Giles admonished.

“Don’t start! I already got the ‘Buffy’s a fragile human’ lecture earlier. I know you’ve been hiding something from me, Giles.” Hazel eyes pinned him with a glare and he flinched. “Ha! I saw that! Spill.”

“The Anointed One was going to raise the Master. Don’t worry – I took measures to make sure that was impossible.”

“What measures?”

“He’s dust. Pulverized powder. They needed the skeleton for their ritual. I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want to remind you of your ordeal.”

“And Angel knew all about it?”

“Yes. He kept an eye on the grave all night until I could take care of the problem in the morning. Buffy, I care for you a great deal, and if I can spare you from the ugliness of the night now that you have the chance, I will. All three of you children deserve normal, happy lives far from here.”

“I appreciate you looking out for me, Giles, but I don’t need to be babied just because I’m a normal girl now. I’m not going to break, and I’m not going to rush into the nearest apocalypse. Give me some credit. Besides, I need to know what’s going on if I’m going to train the new girl. When is she getting here, anyway?”

“Next Friday.”

“Oh. Is she going to be going to Sunnydale High?”

“I’m not sure. She’s been in independent study with her Watcher since she was identified as a Potential. I suppose it would be a good idea, since she is a minor, and the school sits directly on the Hellmouth. I should call her Watcher and make sure the necessary paperwork is in order.”

“Well, I guess I’ll leave you to that, then…”

“Wait…I’ll give you a ride home.”

She sighed, and gave in. “Sure, Giles. Whatever.”

“Right…let me just find my keys…


The next day, Buffy and Joyce went shopping so Buffy could get some new workout gear suitable for cheerleading. Joyce was thrilled that Buffy was showing interest in one of her former activities. Maybe her daughter was finally making a turnaround. She’d been worried for such a long time.

A woman was sitting on the swing on the front porch when they came home.

“May we help you?” Joyce asked.

“Hi, I’m Lillian Blackwell. I came to talk to Buffy about our volunteer program. As you might be aware, every student has to do some community service now as part of the graduation requirements. Other students I’ve talked to have mentioned that Buffy is usually quite helpful, so I just had to see if she might join us.” She was an older woman, maybe in her 60s, in a casual summer suit, and her hair neatly pinned up. She smiled at both of them, and there was something very welcoming in her presence.

“Well, I’m sure Buffy would love to hear you out. What kind of charity work do you do?” Joyce asked.

“Mostly outreach to troubled girls. Young girls who are quite alone in the world, with many battles to fight. They just need some guidance, and a friendly face their same age can go far in making them feel at ease. I can assure you, Mrs. Summers, that your daughter would be completely safe. We’re just asking for a little of her time.”

“Buffy? What do you think? Perhaps this is something you and Willow could do on Saturdays. Willow Rosenberg is a very bright girl, also in Buffy’s class, Mrs. Blackwell. She’s already helped Buffy improve her grades…”

“Mom!”

“What? It’s true, and I’ve seen Willow come out of her shell around you, dear. This could be just up your alley, especially with what happened in L.A.? You’re relatable!”

“Gee, thanks, Mom…”

“Wonderful! I’d still like to interview Buffy, if you don’t mind?”

“Oh, of course. Come in…I’ll make some lemonade while you have a chat.” Joyce unlocked the front door and headed for the kitchen. Buffy turned towards the living room, Lillian behind her.

“You have a lovely home.”

“Thanks. Now that my mom’s out of the room, what’s this really all about?” Buffy asked suspiciously.

“I beg your pardon?”

“’Young girls’? ‘All alone’? ‘Facing many battles’? Please…those are my catch phrases. Who are you, really, and what do you want with me?”

“I see you are as sharp as we expected. My name is really Lillian Blackwell, and I did come to talk to you about volunteer work. I’m a Guardian.”

“A who?”

“A Guardian. We watch the Watchers, who watch the Slayers. You are the first Slayer in a very long time who has shown independence in thought, outside of her Watcher’s training.”

“Was. Was the Slayer. I haven’t been since May. You want a Slayer, she’s arriving on Friday.”

“Oh, I know, dear, and that’s why I wanted to talk to you now. You see, we are the reason you aren’t a Slayer anymore.”

“What?!”