Reunions /Part 10

*******************

As the woman continued to walk toward Spike he found himself intrigued by her beauty and the outrageously sexy outfit she was wearing. But what drew his attention even more strongly was the way she walked. There was something about that walk, the way she moved with such confidence, that brought back flashes of memories from years before. When it came to him who the woman walked like it shocked him. She moved like the Slayer, the real one, Buffy.

As the woman drew nearer it was obvious she was smiling ‘at him’ and that she was enjoying the way he was ogling her. When she was about ten feet away and came into the full light of Willows glow ball he got a better look at her face. She was definitely a beautiful woman. As she took a step closer he realized that there was something familiar about her. With each step she took nearer the certainty grew that he had seen her somewhere before, but he couldn’t remember when or where.

When Dawn stopped in front of Spike, less than two feet away, she drew back her shoulders and thrust out her chest. Spike eyes were automatically drawn to her breasts which were forced up by the corset and almost seemed in danger of popping out into full view. What she did next took him totally by surprise.

With a quick jab, Dawn punched Spike in the middle of his chest, and said “Perv!”

He was so shocked he couldn’t even react.

Willow was just as shocked. *What in the world is Dawn doing?* flashed through her mind.

Dawn moved quickly again and punched Spike in the chest a second time, as she said “Turd.”

The second punch hurt and Spike took a half step back and started to raise his hands to defend himself if the woman tried to hit him again.

But before he could finish taking that step, Dawn lashed out with her foot and kicked him in the shins, as she said “Butthole.”

That kick really hurt and out of surprise Spike jumped back reflexively and standing on one leg in a slightly bent over manner he started to rub the leg that had just been kicked. Spikes mind was totally awash in confusion. *Who was this silly bint? Why the bloody hell had she hit him and called him those silly names?* Spike looked over at Willow for an explanation but immediately saw that she was just as confused as he was.

Suddenly the woman jumped forward and pushed Spike backwards. Because he was off balance he fell to the floor with the woman on top of him with her hands on his shoulders holding him down. Spike morphed into vampire mode and was just about to toss the woman off of him when he heard her say “You should have called.” in the hurt voice of an adolescent girl.

As those word echoed through his mind the memory of a young girl flashed to the forefront. A young girl he would have given his un-dead life to protect. Spike froze in place and looked up into the woman’s eyes. He could see tears, and hurt, and pain, and it seemed as if his un-beating heart clenched in his chest and stole his breath away.

He lay there, with his hands under her arms, holding her away from him. His face morphed back to normal and a whisper escaped his lips, “Little Bit?”

When a tear fell from one eye and splashed on his cheek, Spike knew. Instead of trying to hold Dawn away he pulled her down against his chest and wrapping his arms around her hugged her tightly. Dawn had let herself go limp and clutching on to Spike held him as tightly as he was holding her. She buried he face in his neck and sobbed with both joy and pain. As her tears rolled down her cheek and splashed against his neck, Spike felt every one of them burn into his soul.

In the few seconds that it had taken all of this to happen, the three boys who had been standing relaxed a few feet off to one side waiting for Spike to lead his friends back to their living area, started to react. They thought Spike was being attacked and rushed forward to defend him raising their crossbows.

Willow, just a half second ahead of them in her reaction made the glow ball still floating over her head flare up brightly and jumped between Spike and Dawn on the floor and the boys rushing toward them waving her hands at them. She shouted out quickly “Hey! No! Stop! Misunderstanding! Every Things Fine!”

The boys came to a halt and looking down at Spike on the floor with his arms wrapped around the beautiful and sexy woman they had all been admiring just a few moments earlier, watched as he ran one hand down the back of her head and through her hair. Suddenly all three of them had big grins on their faces and one of them actually giggled.

Willow was still in near panic and babbled out “See! Friends! Long Time, No See!”

When a second boy started to giggle and all three of them lowered their weapons, Willow took a deep breath of relief. When she looked back to see what Spike and Dawn were doing, she saw Dawn laying across his chest crying and Spike holding her, kissing the side of her face and trying to sooth her. She also saw that Spike had tears in his eyes.

They laid like that for a full minute or more, holding on to each other, not wanting to let go or for this one moment in time to end. But reality was a bitter pill that had been forced down Spikes throat to many times for him to let this moment delude him. Reality wasn’t the past, it was the here and now. Reality was Dawn, his Dawn. This woman in his arms was a memory of things lost. Spike rolled onto his side to remove the weight of Dawn upon him, released his hold on her and inched himself away. When Dawn continued to try to hold on to him he grasped her wrists and slowly pulled her hands away from him. He then rolled in the opposite direction to put more distance between them and sat up with his back toward her.

Dawn laid on the floor, tears still streaming from her eyes, looking over at Spikes back. She had felt his love for her when he held her tight, felt the bond they had once had years ago, and felt him slip away to some distant place, leaving her behind. She forced herself up into a sitting position and with the backs of her hands wiped away her tears. She had lost him again, for the moment, but she swore to herself she would bring him back again.

With a still tear chocked voice she said “Oh, so Not how I planned this to happen.”

Spike looked back over his shoulder, then quickly looked away. He became aware of his boys standing close by, grinning and giggling, and scowled up at them. He quickly got to his feet and moved a few feet further away from Dawn, to put more distance between them, then stopped himself. His head hanging bent, his shoulders drooping, he stood for several long moments with his back to all of them. He then straightened his shoulders, lifted his head, and turned around to face Dawn, Willow, the slayers, and his boys.

“Well Bit, gave me a startle didn’t ya” Spike said in a raspy voice. He shook himself and then walking over to Dawn reached down to help her to her feet. “Not much up for surprises though, can be nasty little things when they sneak up on you.” Saying this he glanced over at Willow with a frown.

Dawn let him help her to her feet and tried for a moment to hold onto his hand. But Spike gave a little twist and freed himself. Dawn didn’t try to reach for him, she was certain he would move away if she did.

Dawn gave a half hearted laugh and said “You know, in my mind I had something else all worked out. Didn’t really have that last part planned right, did I?”

The slayers had all gathered close to Willow, not knowing what to do or say in this situation. Willow was feeling as lost as they were. The idea, the plan, the hope, was that seeing Dawn would make Spike happy. What just happened wasn’t how they had hoped thing would go. In desperation to try to salvage the situation Willow burst out with “Food time, hungry here!” as she bounced nervously up and down on her toes.

Spike looked over at Willow with a frown, then let it slip into a smirky grin and said to all of them in a cocky loud cheerful voice “Right you are pet, the children will eat it all if we don’t hurry. Com’on now, let get moving, Chop, Chop!”

Spike turned away and started walking towards the stairs, his boys right behind him. Willow signaled the girls to follow him and dropped back next to Dawn. She pulled a tissue out of her pocket and handed it to Dawn as they brought up the rear. “That went well, don’t you think?” Willow said in a strained but hopeful tone of voice.

Dawn gave a little snort and a half grin toward Willow as she wiped her eyes and blew her nose. “Yeah, that went really well. Couldn‘t have done it better if I‘d actually tried.”

Willow gave her a little pat on the arm, then slipped her hand into Dawns, gave it a squeeze and followed the others.

*******************

By the time they reached the big room where Spike and the kids all lived, all but a few of the kids that had gone off into the dark were already there. All of the younger ones were already eating cheese burgers with fries and soda. As Willow stood next to Dawn looking around she noticed that Spike had already disappeared from site, but in the next moment she saw him step out of his little room with a bottle of something in one hand. From a distance she watched him rip the seal from the bottle, remove the cap and toss it to one side, then lift the bottle and take a long drink. *OH, this wasn’t good!*

Spike stood over by his room taking drinks from the bottle. When the last boys came through the steel door, closing and locking it behind them, Spike finished the bottle he was drinking from, straightened his shoulders and walked over to Willow and Dawn.

“Well love, been awhile” Spike said with forced bravado, “Look at you, all grow’d up an all. Didn’t recognize you there, could a hurt you ya know?”

Dawn had herself under control and was back to her normal self. She looked at Spike and walking around him checked him over from head to toe and smiled at him. “Like the outfit, miss the coat. Every time I dream about you, your wearing your coat, you seem kind of naked without it.”

Spike was startled by what Dawn had just said. *Dreamed about him?* To cover up he started looking her over very carefully, making appreciative little noises as he circled around her. When he was back in front of her he paid especial attention to the way her breasts were near bursting out of her corset, thinking to embarrass her and get the upper hand.

But Dawn didn’t embarrass easily anymore. She spread her arms wide and thrusting out her chest again she gave him her sexiest smile. “You like it? I wore it special for you. Do you remember?” she asked hopefully.

Taken aback by her behavior and her words, a puzzled look crossed his face. Dawn, seeing the confusion, replaced the smile with a false pout as she looked at him. “You have to remember” she said “don’t you? We watched a pirate movie together and the leading lady was dressed like this, and I told you that I would dress up like this for you someday, and you said that if I did you’d carry me off to the high seas and we‘d be pirates together.”

The memories came back to Spike, watching TV with a young girl who had lost her mother and then her sister, he’d made a promise to watch over her, to protect her. Spending time with her, learning to love her deeply. Ten years ago, a thousand memories of love and hurt and pain and sorrow, and regrets. A look of deep pain crossed Spikes face that he couldn’t stop or control.

Dawn seeing the pain and understanding that somehow she was the cause stepped close to Spike and gently placed her hand over his heart and spoke quietly so that only he could hear her words. “I didn’t do it to hurt you Spike, I wanted to make you happy, to know that I hadn’t forgotten you, that I still love you.”

*I still love you* The words slammed their way through Spikes mind, shaking his hold on reality. He took two quick steps back, away from Dawn, as if he had been burned by her touch. If it was possible he became even paler than his normal pale self, almost translucent. He felt like he was loosing himself in a whirlwind, like he’d lost control of his body and it was spinning away from him.

Then everything stopped, reality returned, a small soft hand had taken his hand into hers. Spike took a deep breath as he looked up at the ceiling and got control of himself. He turned sideways and knelt down so that he was face to face with a little girl. She stood there looking into his soul as she held his hand. She smiled a little smile at him then leaned into him and kissed him on the tip of his nose. Everything about Spike seemed to change in that moment. The tension seemed to melt away from his body, the pain slipped away from his eyes, a smile of pure love spread across his lips. He leaned toward her and kissed her on the nose. As they stared into each others eyes they started making little cooing noises to each other. All other realities were pushed to the side, the world consisted of just the two of them.

Dawn hadn’t really seen the little girl approach until she was next to Spike and took his hand. As she watched the transformation over Spike take place she was entranced . As they traded kisses and coos she felt her heart swell with love for this little girl who had such an amazing effect on Spike. The majority of her attention had been on Spike, but now Dawn turned her full attention on the little girl. She had to be the one Willow said was Spikes daughter. She studied the girl who looked to be six or seven years old. She wasn’t very tall, but her body seemed well formed and developed for her age. She had long blonde hair that fell to the middle of her back and seemed to have a natural wave to it. Her eyes seemed to have a greenish cast to them. Her lips were full and she had a beautiful smile, when she was smiling.

All these factors were whirling through Dawns mind, turning and churning, there was something special about this girl that Dawn recognized. Something that was trying to force it’s way into the front of her mind. When the little girl, who had been paying her full attention to Spike, turned her head and looked up at Dawn, the recognition sprang forth with the force of a lightening bolt. This little girl, she looked just like another little girl, a little girl that Dawn had a picture of at home. She looked like a picture of another little girl on her eighth birthday. She looked exactly like Buffy.

******************