Reunions / Part 14

*****************

Willow hadn’t really planned to go back to Spikes place tonight, she had taken his concern about to many visits in a row to heart. The last thing in the world she wanted to do was to endanger Spike or any of his kids by drawing attention to them. But Faith had been insistent that they go, but had agreed that if Willow couldn’t guarantee the area was clear of vamps and demons they would stay away. The four SUV’s, full of slayers, had circled the warehouse area for over an hour as Willow worked her detection spell. Unfortunately Willow had detected several individual demons in the area and what appeared to be a group of about ten vampires moving through the area.

Faith had finally agreed to not going to Spikes warehouse, but had insisted that they could still have some fun, ‘Slayer’ fun that is. They all pulled into an empty lot and Faith warned the others of her plans. Willow pinpointed where the vampires were currently and the direction they seemed to be heading. They left the cars where they were, with two slayers staying behind to guard them, and the rest headed out down an alley to get into a position to ambush the vampires.

Once in position everyone went into hiding except Faith. Faith loved being the bait for these kinds of traps. She use to do it all the time at the Cleveland Hellmouth until the local vamps started to recognize her and would run away as soon as they saw her. But no one knew her here in L.A., so she insisted that she be the bait. Faith still loved being in the middle of a good fight and being the bait in a trap insured she would be in the middle of it.

They had been in position and waiting for over twenty minutes and the vampires still hadn’t shown up. Faith was getting agitated by the delay and was starting to fidget. Willow was also concerned. If somehow the vampires had detected them and avoided them on purpose that could also mean that they might have been able to detect them the previous nights they had been to area. Which could mean they knew about the location of Spikes warehouse.

Willow had been hiding with Robin just inside the broken doorway of an empty building. She sat down on the floor and started casting out for the location of the vampire group. It only took her a few seconds to discover that they were only a block away, but they were also surrounding an old three story building. Willow had only been casting for vampires and demons in her spell, when she changed the wording a little she was able to detect that there were humans inside the building on the second floor. Willow realized immediately that the vampires surrounding the building were after the humans inside.

Willow didn’t hesitate for a second, she was up off the floor and outside into the open. She concentrated and opened her mind and the minds of all the slayers and Robin and explained the situation in seconds. The whole group came out of their hiding places and as silent as ghosts moved down the alley in the direction of the vampires and the building where the humans were living. It only took minutes, but by the time they got there the vampires had already moved inside the building from both ground level and from the roof.

Faith didn’t waste any time lamenting the planned ambush, she ran up the five steps to the building and kicked the front door open with a resounding crash. The stairs leading up to the second floor were to her right and she went charging up them, followed by all the slayers, Robin and Willow. Willow was at the back of the group, but she had several spells circling in the back of her mind, ready to call forward. She also had packets of magic powders in each hand to make bright balls of light when they were needed.

Being the first up the stairs Faith saw two vampires bursting through a doorway just down the hall from her. She headed in their direction as fast as she could run but before she could get there one of the vampires seemed to back out the doorway a half step and burst into dust. She heard noises behind her and looking back saw that three of the slayers were fighting with three vampires that she had run past without seeing. They were soon joined by other slayers and the vampires were dust in seconds. Robin and Willow had just topped the stairs and could see Faith hesitating just outside a doorway, but not entering.

Just as they rushed up to Faith they all heard a familiar voice calling out “Com’on now, com’on, can’t have a party if you don’t wan’na dance.”

Willow popped one of the packets in her hand and threw the powder into the air in front of the doorway where a bright ball of light formed. She then called out loudly “Spike? Is that you?”

“Red? What the bloody hell are you do’n here?” Spike called back.

When Willow peeked around the edge of the doorway she could see Spike standing there in full vampire mode with a sword in one hand and a crossbow in the other. She could also see six other people with him, five of his older boys and Dawn, with crossbows in their hands. With her hands out in the open Willow stepped through the doorway. Spike started to relax until he saw Faith and Robin coming in behind her.

Faith didn’t hesitate for a second, she walked into the room like she owned it and gave Spike a big grin. “Hey there Spike! What, you throwing a party and don’t invite your friends?”

Spike let himself slip out of vampire mode, but kept his crossbow up and pointed past Faith toward the doorway where Robin was standing with a crossbow in his hands. “Well Love” Spike drawled out, “There are friends and there are friends. The ones I was expecting arrived on time. Party crashers hav’ta be sorted out as they arrive.”

Faith hadn’t stopped walking toward Spike and when she got to him, without even hesitating, she wrapped her arms around him and gave him a big kiss on the lips, with sound effects and a girlish sigh at the end. “Yeah, that’s the story of my life” she said as she grinned at him again. “Late to the ball and no glass slipper. But I got the prince anyway.”

Spike, looking past Faith, saw Robin smiling at Faiths words as he lifted the bolt from his crossbow and pointed it at the floor. Spike let his own crossbow point at the floor and took his finger off the trigger. “The questions still good you know. What are you lot of wanker’s doing here. I know I didn’t have you on the guest list.” Spike looked over at Dawn and asked “Did you add them to the list Bit, without telling me?” Dawn gave Spike a big smile, but didn’t say anything.

When Faith let go of Spike and took a step back she noticed for the first time what Dawn was wearing. She turned to Dawn and with her hands on her hips looked her up and down. “Damn girl, looking hot!” Faith said with just a touch of a leer in her eyes and in the tone of her voice. “If it wasn’t for Robin being here I’d be all over you.”

Dawn started to blush, she never had been able to tell when Faith was joking or not. When Robin walked up next to Faith and started to look her over too, she blushed even more. “Maybe we should jump her together” Robin said as he winked at Faith. Dawn started blushing even harder and totally lost her ability to speak until they both gave her a big smile.

“Grrr, you guys are terrible, you know that?” Dawn finally got out.

“What, isn’t that what the outfit’s for” Faith said innocently “make us all lust for your tender hot body?”

Dawn couldn’t answer and just blushed even more. She was saved from having to respond when Spike asked again, “Question still not answered! What in the bloody hell are you lot doing here?” Spike looked over at Willow as if he expected her to answer him this time. But just as Willow started to speak the other slayers all came through the doorway and into the room. They reported to Faith and told her that they had got six of the vampires.

“Well that does it” Spike said with irritation in his voice, “that means two got away and can come back some other time.” He signaled to one of his boys and the boy went to a closed door and opened it and went inside the other room. After a few moments the boy came back out leading six people, four adults and two young children. “Were going to have to find you a new place to stay, it’s not safe here anymore.”

Willow could see by the way the people were dressed and by how dirty their cloths were that they were homeless and had no money or anything else of value. She could also tell that all six of them were hungry. She shrugged her ‘magic bag’ off her shoulders and kneeling down she unzipped it and reaching inside she pulled out a sandwich and tried to hand it to one of the children. The child hung back until the woman she was clinging to pushed her forward to take the sandwich. Willow then pulled out another one and gave it to the other child. One of the women was looking at the sandwich her child was holding hungrily, but she didn’t say or do anything. Willow reached back in the bag and kept pulling out sandwiches until all six of the people had one and were busy eating them. She then reached back inside and pulled out two pieces of candy and gave one to each of the children to have later.

As soon as the sandwiches were gone Spike started leading the people out of the room. They didn’t hesitate to follow him, it was apparent that they trusted him implicitly. Spike led them out of the room and down the stairs to the first floor, then down the hall to more stairs leading to the basement. Willow, Faith, Robin, Dawn and all the slayers followed after Spike and his kids as they led the six homeless people through the basement to an opening in the floor that led to the sewers.

Before following Spike down into the sewers, Willow spoke to Vi and to the lead girl of Faiths slayers. Once Faith nodded her approval Vi led all of the slayers back the way they had come and out of the building so that they could scour the area above and then go back to their cars. Spike went down into the sewer first, followed by Dawn and two of Spikes boys. The six homeless people went next, followed by Willow, Faith and Robin. Spikes other three boys came down last and closed the opening behind them.

When all fifteen of them were safely together Spike led the way through the dark. No one could see more than a few inches in the dark except for Spike. Everyone just kept one hand on the shoulder of the person in front of them and followed after Spike in single file. For about ten minutes they walked slowly through the pitch black dark not knowing where they were or where they were going. When they finally came to a steel ladder that led up everyone was relieved. Spike led the way up the ladder and pushed a manhole cover up and to one side. Dawn was right behind him like a shadow.

When they all emerged from the sewer they found themselves in the basement of another building. A block or two away from the one they had been in to start. There wasn’t much more light in this basement than there had been in the sewer, but there was a little. Spike led off again and took everyone through the basement, up some stairs, down some stairs, through a half dozen doors that he had to open and close behind them, out a door into the open night air, down a dark alley and into another building then up two flights of stairs. He finally led them through a doorway and once everyone was inside the room he closed the door behind him. One of his boys pulled a flashlight out of his pocket and turned it on. Why they hadn’t used the flashlight earlier, especially when they were in the sewers, wasn’t a question asked. This was Spikes territory, his mission, and his call on security.

He led the people over to one side of the room and bending down found a Coleman lantern and lit it with a match. Once he adjusted the lantern they could all see that there were a dozen blankets folded and stacked against the wall and several boxes of canned goods. There were also a half dozen gallon jugs of fresh water. Spike led one of the men over to a doorway and opening it showed him that there was a toilet and several five gallon cans of water that could be used to make it flush. When Spike was sure that the people understood their situation he started to leave. One of the women wrapped her arms around him and hugged him. The two men and the other woman all shook his hand before he could leave.

Willow had watched Spike closely through all his interactions with these people and it was clearly apparent that he was uncomfortable with all of them except the children. When he finally left the room and one of the men locked it behind him Spike let out a big sigh of relief. He led them back down the flight of stairs and back into the dark alley which they followed keeping to the darkest shadows for about a block. He then led them into a building and through it, when he opened a door and stepped outside again they could all see the four SUV’s parked about a hundred feet away. He had got them back to where they started. One of the doors on one of the SUV’s opened and Vi stepped out and waved at them.

Spike had barely spoken a word since he started leading everyone out of the first building and into the sewers. Whenever he did speak it was to give orders or directions. Even when he was talking to the homeless people he had kept his talking to a minimum. When they got to the cars he turned to Willow and said “I’m going to take the boys home now, you can go where you want from here.”

“Why can’t we come with you” Willow asked? “I’ve been checking the area and there’s nothing to worry about between here and your place.”

“My boys like to unwind after I take them out like this” Spike explained abruptly. “They might not feel free to do that if you were around.”

“Hey, my girls like to unwind too” Faith put in quickly. “Your place sounds like a better place to do it than back at the hotel. Just ask your boys if they’d mind partying with a bunch of horny girls who are high on adrenalin and want to burn some of it off.”

One of the boys who was standing near enough to hear what Faith had said, spoke up immediately “Hey, we don’t mind!”

Spike gave the boy a look to keep quiet, but the boy just smiled at him. After a few moments a lopsided grin spread over his face and he nodded. “Okay, but remember one thing. Anyone of these girls could rip your head off and hand it back to you. Just thought you should know that, in advance.”

The boy just shrugged his shoulders and smiled back at Spike. Spike gave a smile back at the boy and said “Your funeral.”

They all got into the SUV’s and after Willow made sure the area was clear they drove to Spikes warehouse to have a party and unwind.

*****************