Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok, no writer's block for me - this is great. I love Spuffy. And just to confirm, I guarantee that there will be no Spike/Cordy in this story. Cordelia's role in my fic is only as a friend and maybe as a tool for making Buffy jealous. Enjoy this update and thanks for all the reviews!!
Buffy was woken the next day by Spike who told her that Cordy was going windsurfing in Cabarete and had asked them to join her.

She was content to go along with whatever Spike wanted them to do, but as she showered, she began to feel a little uneasy. She’d never had any particular interest in water sports, but even so, since Angel’s accident, she’d steered well clear. Her fears weren’t irrational, although, she did worry whether she was edging towards paranoia. There was no reason to believe that anything bad would happen to her, or to Spike for that matter – she smiled at the memory of his enthusiasm in sharing his plans with her, knowing that just like everything else he did, he would probably make windsurfing seem effortless.

So after finishing her shower, she grabbed her bathing suit and met Spike and Cordy up at the main house. They all climbed into Eduardo’s jeep and began the hour long drive to Cabarete. During the journey, Cordy and Spike regaled Buffy with tales of their childhood summers.

“Buffy, watch out that he does not challenge you to a game of poker,” Cordy warned her. “I ended up losing two weeks’ allowance and a couple of Barbie dolls to him.”

Buffy giggled. “Dare I ask what he did with them?”

“He hammered nails into their heads – he said they were an annoying commercial creation and they deserved to be run through with railroad spikes. I cried for days afterwards.”

Buffy gave Spike her best glare. “You meanie…”

“Pet, I was ten…”

Cordy threw him her own look of mock severity. “That is no excuse, Will. It was my Ballerina Barbie.”

Spike held up his hands. “Okay, I give in. I was a wanker.”

Cordy and Buffy laughed. He obviously wasn’t accustomed to having two women ganging up on him.

When they arrived in Cabarete Bay, they headed straight down to the surf centre and Buffy waited outside while Cordy and Spike went to get the boards. She stood on the sand, watching people glide through the waves and her eyes were drawn to one of surfers who was riding the crest of a wave higher than himself. The wave crashed over him, causing him to fall off his board and disappear beneath the water.

Fear gripped her when he didn’t resurface immediately and tears ran down her face as flashbacks of Angel’s death suddenly engulfed her. As the tears fell faster, her breathing quickened and she sank to her knees, her arms cradling herself as she rocked back and forth.

Even in the state she was in, she was aware of someone kneeling down beside her and a pair of warm arms embracing her.

“Pet, shh, shh. Buffy, it’s me, it’s Spike. It’s okay, luv, I’m here.”

Gradually, her breathing began to slow and her sobs turned to whimpers. She lifted up her head and her watery green eyes met his. “Is he…okay?” she asked.

Spike frowned. “Who?”

“The…surfer. He fell…off…his board. I thought…he was dead.”

She chanced a look back at the ocean and quickly spotted the man, back on his board and surfing closer to shore. “There he is,” she said with a sigh of relief. “He’s okay.”

“Yes, luv. He’s okay.”

Buffy burst into tears again.

“Pet, what’s wrong?”

“Why wasn’t he okay?” she sobbed. “Why did he have to leave me?”

“Who?” Spike asked, although he had a fair idea whom she was talking about. “Angel?”

“He left me, Spike. He left me and now I’m all alone.”

“You’re not alone, pet,” he whispered, holding her close. “You’ve got me.”

“You won’t leave me, will you Spike?” Buffy asked, clutching at his t-shirt. “Promise me you won’t leave me.”

“I promise, luv. I won’t ever leave you.”

When Cordy appeared a few moments later, Spike told her that he wanted to take Buffy back to the estate. They stood a couple of yards away, but Buffy could hear snippets of their conversation and she knew he was telling her about what had happened to Angel. Cordy told him to take the jeep and that she’d catch a ride with one of the guys at the centre.

Buffy didn’t say a word the whole journey back; she just stared out the window. When they reached the estate, Spike led her back to their cottage and encouraged her to lie down for a while. He went to fetch a glass of water for her and when he returned, she was curled up in a ball, sobbing quietly. He sat down on the bed next to her and rubbed her back, softly whispering words of comfort until she fell asleep.


When Buffy awoke, Spike wasn’t anywhere to be seen, so she walked over to the main house where she found him watching CNN on the satellite television.

He looked up when she entered and smiled. “Hey, luv. You feeling better?”

Buffy returned his smile. “Yeah, the rest did me good. And, uh, thanks for being there. I’m sorry I fell apart like that…”

The words were hardly out of her mouth, before Spike was up and standing next to her, his hands gently gripping her upper arms and his eyes locked with hers. “Buffy, don’t ever be sorry about something like that. You’ve dealt with more pain than anyone should ever have to deal with – you have every right to fall apart. You don’t always have to be so strong you know.”

Buffy gave him a small smile “I know,” she said, reaching up to plant a soft kiss on his lips. “Thank you.”

He pulled her into his arms and held her for several seconds.

“So,” she said when he released her. “Did you have any plans for this evening?”

“Well, I did think about taking you to Las Terrenas for dinner and dancing, but if you don’t feel up to it, we can stay here and I’ll cook.”

“No, Las Terrenas sounds great – I’ll just go and jump in the shower and get ready.”

Twenty minutes later, Buffy was putting the finishing touches to her make up. She was wearing a floral print Chloé maxi dress and black Marc Jacobs wedges and her hair fell in curls around her shoulders. Spike was wearing all black again, which was a great foil for his bleached hair.

They drove to Las Terrenas in the jeep; the journey was just under an hour and they soon found themselves seated at a table for two in an outdoor restaurant. After ordering a jug of sangria to drink while they perused the menu, they eventually decided on avocado salad with sweet potato fritters, fresh snapper in coconut sauce and guava and rum cake for dessert.

The food was delicious and during the meal they were serenaded by a female soloist, but as the night wore on, the restaurant switched to more upbeat music and after they’d finished eating, Buffy and Spike got up to dance.

The tempo was slow and throbbing and Spike pulled her against him, subtly sliding his leg between hers, while Buffy moved with the beat, her body grinding into his. His cock grew hard in his pants and he turned her around so that her back was flush against his chest and he pressed his erection into the cleft of her ass. One hand grasped hers while the other rested on her flat stomach and his mouth descended to nibble at her earlobe, before letting his tongue trace the shell of her ear.

Buffy leaned into him and hooked her arm around his neck to hold him to her, her fingers playing with the loose curls at the nape. The movement of her hips gathered speed as she felt him growing even harder against her.

“Slow down, luv…” he whispered in her ear.

“Mmm,” Buffy murmured, totally lost in the rhythm.

“Pet, if you don’t slow down, you’re gonna make me come in my pants.”

Opening her eyes, Buffy turned in his arms and kissed him, her tongue moving in ways that should be illegal, until Spike could no longer take it. He pulled his mouth from hers and met her eyes which were filled with a matching desire.

“Let’s get out of here…”