Buffy faded back into the mortal realms in time to hear gentle feminine laughter ringing throughout the house. She paused for a moment, a small smile gracing her lips at the sound of merriment. Wondering what had prompted such laughter, she reached out and gently touched Spike’s mind. A soft chuckle escaping her lips as she realized that Anya had insulted Methos and the other three men with one single sentence.

Methos’ ears picked up a soft sound coming from the doorway behind him and casually turned his head to see if he could spot anyone. At that moment his senses went on full alert, and judging by the way Cassandra’s head had come up, so did hers. Almost as one they stood and drew their swords, Cassandra coming to stand by Methos in a rare show of solidarity.

When Methos and Cassandra stood up, Spike went on alert as well, and let his demon come forth, to heighten his own senses. A rumbling chuckle issued from his chest as he realized who was standing just outside the dining room door.

Methos cast an irritated glance at the apparently amused vampire, but before he could say anything, a cloaked figure stepped through the doorway and began to speak.

“Have you learned nothing of what I taught you? Or are you so complacent that you no longer maintain your alertness?” With these words, Buffy lowered the hood of her cloak and fixed her gaze on the two sword-wielding immortals, one eyebrow raised in inquiry.

Cassandra sheathed her sword and glared at Methos before turning to Spike. “You knew she was there, did you not?”

Spike nodded, “Yeah, when I saw you and Methos go into battle mode, and I decided to see who was there. Imagine my surprise when I recognized her scent.” He tapped the side of his nose. “Vampire senses come in handy sometimes.”

Methos grumbled, “You could have said something.” He didn’t turn around, knowing better than to take his eyes off of Buffy when she was in her ‘teacher’ mode.

“Now where would be the fun in that?” Spike asked as he casually reached out and swiped the last of the spicy chicken right from under Xander’s hand.

“Oh put that thing away before you poke your eye out.” Buffy said with exasperation. She walked past Methos and unclasped her cloak, sliding it off and folding it over the back of a chair.

Xander whistled as he caught sight of what Buffy was wearing. He leaned over and tapped Spike on the shoulder, “I guess you’re the submissive in this relationship, huh Spike?” Xander leaned back and chuckled softly, thinking he had scored a point against Spike in their never-ending game of mutual harassment.

Spike simply let his eyes wander from the toes of Buffy’s thigh-high leather boots, all the way up to the gemstone centered on her forehead, and swallowed hard.

Giles looked over at Spike in concern, and the chuckled. “I must say this is a first, in all the time I have known him. My congratulations Buffy. You have rendered Spike speechless.”

Buffy laughed softly as she helped herself to some of the food on the table. “Some how I don’t think that condition will last long. Especially if you keep teasing him about it.”

Methos slowly sheathed his sword and returned to his chair, a look of consternation on his face. “How long had you been standing there?”

“Only a few moments,” Buffy said after swallowing a mouthful of food. “Why?”

“Just curious as to why I didn’t sense you when you first appeared,” Methos said, reaching for his cup of coffee.

“To be honest, I was cloaking my presence. Just in case there were unexpected ‘guests’ present.” Buffy took a sip of the coffee Dawn had brought her. “I also think the energies emanating from the Hellmouth interfere with the signature immortals emit.”

“That would explain why Methos didn’t sense Cassandra’s presence until she was at the door,” Joyce said with a small laugh.

“Indeed.” Buffy stated s she put the plate down and folded her hands in her lap. “I think we need to discuss a few things before the proverbial shit hits the fan.” She laughed as Giles reached for a pad of paper and a pen. “First off, Angel will not be bothering anyone for the period of one human year. He is currently being re-educated as to proper behavior.”

Anya interrupted excitedly. “Did you cut his penis off? Did he cry when you cut his penis off?

“ANYA!” Xander cried crossing his legs. “I thought we agreed not to mention the removal of parts?”

“Oh pish, I want to know!” Anya slapped Xander on the knee. “It’s not like I asked her to remove your penis.”

“His penis was not removed, but it was… restrained… in a rather unique manner. And yes, he did cry and scream as the operation was performed,” Buffy said with a self-satisfied smirk.

“What did you do him?” Giles asked, writing furiously.

“To put it simply, I removed his balls, tucked his penis in, and cauterized it shut.” Buffy finished off her coffee before placing the empty cup on the table.

As one, the four males in the room winced and crossed their legs. Spike was the first to speak. “So what you are saying then, is that you basically made a girl out of him.”

“Pretty much.” Buffy responded with a decisive nod. “Now, enough about the idiot. Tell me what happened here.”

One by one they told Buffy about the various attacks and near misses by the council’s operatives. With each person’s story, her eyes darkened and her expression became darker, until it was clear she was in a controlled rage. When everyone had finished telling her what had happened, she stood up and began pacing the floor, thinking. Several minutes passed, the only sound being the click of her boots on the floor. Finally, she turned to face the group and a wicked smile was on her lips. “I do believe it is time that I paid a visit to the Watcher’s Council Headquarters and had a few words with their current Head. It seems they have forgotten the basic tenets of their gathering, and instead are concentrating on their own personal biases.” Having said that, Buffy turned to the doorway and proceeded out, pausing in mid-stride. “We will begin when the sun goes down tomorrow night. For now I need some rest.” So saying she left the room and proceeded to the basement, Spike hot on her heels.