Author's Chapter Notes:
Written for Tasha the sweet as a thank you for all the work she has done on my site.

Beta'd by Spikeslovebite. Banner by Karyn.


When The Chips Are Down

“You could do that?” Buffy asked, intrigued. She would never have considered it had the last couple of hours not happened.

“I suspect I know what they did to him. I also have a suspicion about who it is ‘they’ are. If I’m right, the actual problem is easily fixed. I will not make any promises, though. I need to be very sure of my facts before I can do anything.”

The Anya that they were finally meeting was honest, intelligent, knowledgeable and willing to help. She didn’t pull any punches and she was straight to the point. She was blossoming before their eyes. It was wonderful to watch. “You need to know…if I’m right…we’re really up against it this time.”

A few moments of silence followed her ominous statement.

“What can you tell us, Anya,” Giles asked with a heavy sigh. Apparently, it was too much to ask to have enough time to adjust to one situation before they were thrown into the next.

“I can’t be positive, but it all seems to fit. I know there’s a lot to deal with right now, but it’s better to have some idea about what might be going on now than to be hit by a surprise attack later.” Anya would have dearly loved to remove the looks of tired resignation on their faces, but this could be important later. Surprisingly, it seemed that all those noisy little boy scouts did have a point - it was good to be prepared.

“William, you have to help me out here. I know you have more details than I do, so I might need you to fill in the blanks,” Anya informed the fading demon gently before continuing. “During the second world war, the German high command decided to perform some experiments on demons. They were apparently trying to find a way to use demons as cannon fodder.”

William nodded his head in agreement. “It is why Spike was captured and placed on the submarine in the first place. The Germans were planning on using some form of technology in a vampire’s brain to somehow control them. They wanted to train an army of vampires.”

“Why was Angel there?” Giles asked. His dislike for the vampire made his voice harsh.

“From what Spike heard on the boat, from Lawson and later on through the demon grapevine, Angel was forcibly recruited by the American government to help in the capture of a German submarine. It has been suggested that the Americans were hoping to also retrieve the materials relating to the testing and technology that the Germans were already working on,” William told them quietly. He shuddered in distaste.

“Wait…are you saying that the American government not only knew about vampires, but that they also wanted to try the German’s sick-o plan?” Buffy asked, outraged.

“So it would seem,” William answered thoughtfully. His mind leapt to the present situation and he was suddenly very afraid that he knew what Anya was trying to theorize.

“I think that the American government is continuing the German’s experimentation right here in Sunnydale,” Anya firmly stated her opinion. “If it is, then Spike has some sort of mechanical device in his head. If he has, I can either disable or remove it.”

“It’s a sound theory, Anya, although it does leave us open to a number situation’s where we would be vulnerable.” Giles removed is glasses and tiredly rubbed his eyes. Could they afford to put this situation off until the next day? After being blind for most of the day, living through the aftermath of two disastrous spells, being gifted with a family member long thought dead- only to discover that without help his long lost uncle could go insane- dealing with an hysterical slayer, and a rather nasty confrontation with an out of control witch; Giles was feeling a little worse for wear.

“How can you tell if it’s what you think it is?” Buffy asked as she gave William’s hand a reassuring squeeze of support. She wouldn’t allow him to be hurt further.

“A simple discovery spell. Don’t worry, it won’t harm William in any way,” Anya assured them all. Unlike Willow, Anya was well aware of consequences and who would pay them. Catching sight of something out of the corner of her eye, Anya snorted her observation, “it seems some people just won’t learn.”

All eyes turned to the glowing red crystal on the coffee table.

“Come on, Giles. Let’s do some research,” the ex-demon said as she grabbed the watcher by the hand and unceremoniously hauled him to his feet. “I’ll let you make lists.”

As the beautiful girl led him to the dining table, Giles resigned himself to a night with the books. At least her engaging company helped ease his pain.

“Are you alright, Miss Buffy?” William’s quietly worded question was addressed to a very thoughtful slayer.

She smiled softly at him. “Surprisingly, yes. I’m not really worried about what Willow might do to us, just the innocent’s that might accidentally get caught up in her wonky spells. Hopefully after tomorrow that won’t be a problem anymore anyway. Xander…well, after what happened earlier and what I just learned from his memories, I don’t think I’m gonna be missing the Xan-man too much.” Buffy scrunched up her nose in distaste.

“And the unpleasant vampire?” William asked with deceptive humour. His demon was on pins and needles in relation to her attitude towards the individual that had played such an important part in her life.

“Oh, he is so on the short list for dusting. I wouldn’t have willingly given him Spike before all this happened, so there’s no way I’m letting him get his big grubby mitts on you now. I might wait on the dusting, though. Just until we get Spike all healthy again. He might come in handy for something.” She grinned at the gentle blonde seated next to her.

“What if we can’t get Spike ‘all healthy’ again?” he whispered his fear. He did not want his demon to die and he certainly did not want to loose himself to insanity.

Impulsively, Buffy gathered the terrified man into her arms. “We will. You should know by now that I don’t give up till I’ve beaten the enemy.” She joked in an effort to reassure him. She would beat this. She would find the cure. She would get Spike back. Much as she’d come to care for William, she kinda missed her snarky vamp. “But you better let Spike know, he and I have a big time conversation coming up about what he said to me the last time we fought.”

“Oh, Miss Buffy,” William scrambled away from her, his demon filled with remorse. “Please believe me; he is genuinely sorry for all that he said. He has no excuse. He was angry and jealous,” he hurried to explain.

Buffy chuckled. “Don’t worry about it, William. No offence, but it’ll be more amusing coming from Spike.”

William’s colouring seemed to improve with her comment, and he didn’t appear to be in quite so much pain.

“You look better. Do you feel better?” She tilted her head to the side as she asked her question.

“The pain recedes when the demon relaxes. You have a soothing affect on him,” William shyly admitted.

Buffy appeared to think about what he had said. “Okay, you might wanna consider not telling a slayer that a demon is soothed by her presence.”

Buffy was delighted to see the first genuine smile of amusement that she could ever remember seeing on the face of the seriously ill blond. She wanted to do a little happy dance of joy. All she had to do was sooth a demon until she could cure him…oh yeah, that was a job for super slayer. She was all over that.

“Buffy?” Giles called to get the girl’s attention. “Perhaps it would be best if you and Anya were to stay the night. I can set up the spare room for you both. That is, if you don’t mind sharing?”

Buffy shrugged. “Fine by me. I’ll probably be up and down all night, though. I have a feeling we might get a visit from our favourite midnight stalker, and I’m not having that overgrown bat upset William.”

“I’m happy just to be asked.” Anya responded brightly. She was completely unaware of how her simple words could affect those listening.

Giles felt his normally reserved posture strongly tempted to take the guileless girl into his arms and protect her from the fools that had so terribly wronged her. She needed to know real love, real friendship, real relationships, and then she wouldn’t ever have to make a comment that screamed of loneliness again.

In some ways Anya’s innocent honesty reminded Buffy of the Willow that the slayer had first met. The young redhead had been lonely too, but Buffy felt that teaching the ex-demon about friendship would have a very different outcome than the relationship that Buffy now had with Willow. She honestly hoped that she could salvage that relationship, but when the witch found out that her powers had been bound, that might not be possible. Whatever Willow’s reaction, Buffy silently vowed to be a good friend to Anya.

William felt his heart go out to the young woman. The thing that made him most sad also made him most relieved. She had no idea that she had been treated so abysmally. He sometimes wished he didn’t know either.

“I wouldn’t mind taking turns, Buffy. There are some things I’d like to say to a vampire that makes a claim and then abandons it. I still have some contacts in the vengeance world. I could make him very uncomfortable. It’s damn near impossible to get rid of a vampire crab infestation. He certainly wouldn’t ever be getting happy again.” Anya informed them, her smug grin anticipating a very fitting revenge. Noting the look of absolute terror on Williams face, Anya quickly reassured him, “You have nothing to worry about. I like you.”

Giles looked at the girl with awe. His level of respect for this wonderful girl just seemed to be skyrocketing. “What an amazing woman you are, Anya Jenkins.”

Buffy nodded her agreement and grabbed the blushing woman in a solid hug. “You really are.”

After making sure William was comfortable, Buffy softly kissed his cheek as she said goodnight.

William held his cheek long after he’d fallen asleep.

Buffy sat on the edge of the bed as Anya was getting settled in. It was clear from the furtive little glances that the ex-demon had something to ask, so Buffy waited patiently for the girl to build up her courage.

“Would it upset you if I decided to date Giles?” Anya finally asked. Her voice was filled with equal amounts of hope and fear.

“You want to date, Giles?” Buffy repeated blankly.

“Yes,” Anya replied, meekly.

“Giles. My watcher, Giles?” Buffy was having a really hard time grasping that simple little fact.

Anya looked crestfallen. “You hate the idea.”

“What? No! I just…um…why?” Buffy shook her head in confusion and disbelief.

“He’s a gentle, distinguished looking man who would probably be very good in…oh…um, that place you don’t like me to talk about.”

“Did he say something?” Buffy was still trying to get her mind around the possibilities that her watcher had a bed, let alone did anything in it.

“Well, no, but I’m young and beautiful, why would he turn me down?”

Buffy giggled. “Anya, go for it. I’m sure you’ll brighten his days right up. But a word of caution, take it slow - you don’t want to scare him.”

Before the ingenuous girl had a chance to respond both girls stiffened with the realisation that they were being watched.

Buffy had never before noticed that her companion had heightened senses, too. She mentally acknowledged that they would come in handy and hoped that Spikes stayed as sharp. Letting her senses out, she located their silent observer. She shook her head ruefully. She really should have known. He was outside the bedroom window, of course. Allowing Anya to see her wicked grin, Buffy spoke loudly enough to be heard by their intruder but not loudly enough to raise suspicion. “Well, Anya, if you’re all set, I need to get back to Spike. He has a terrible time sleeping without me.”

Anya’s eyes sparkled in amusement when she heard the low growl from outside. “Of course, Buffy, but please try to keep the noise down. The last time the two of you were together, I had to use earplugs.”

Buffy managed to make it out the door before collapsing in silent giggles. The growl-fest had given her all sorts of happies.

Slowly and quietly making her way to Williams’s side once she’d gained control of her laughter, Buffy looked down on the peaceful expression of the slumbering blond. The sharp cheekbones seemed to have softened, giving him a more youthful appearance. He looked so innocent.

He seemed to be mumbling something in his sleep. When she leaned closer to hear him, the arms that snaked around her waist were unexpected. As he held her close in a firm but gentle embrace, she was finally able to hear his whispered words.

“Buffy…Slayer…my love.”