Chapter 4: Don’t You Hate Cliffhangers?



L.A…



“I got to admit Buffy you’re a great actress.” Willow shook her head as she sipped the rest of her hot chocolate.

Buffy scrunched up her face in confusion. “Huh?”

“Well…what I mean is you’ve really kept your personal problems hidden from reporters well. I’m impressed.” Willow admitted; she knew how hard it was for big time actors to keep their personal life to themselves. William had the same skill for keeping a low key around reporters when things got bad. When he started going through his problem with drinking he pulled all the right strings to make sure it never got out to the public.

“Impressed?” Buffy laughed and looked around at all the normal customers enjoy there meals with friends and family without a care in the world, without the fear of someone coming up to ask for a picture of yourself. “I don’t think I’ll get an Emmy for my performance in living my life…”

Willow eyed all the people around the restaurant that Buffy seemed to be focused on, “Do you want to leave?” Willow asked, understanding that Buffy didn’t want get noticed.

“No…” Buffy whispered and shook her head. “I’m sick of living behind close doors...if they see me…then they do…”

”Did you ever of think of changing your image?” Willow suggested.

”You mean cut my hair? Dye it brown? Gain ten pounds?” Buffy joked, “That may be fun…” ‘And I’m not joking about that…’ she thought to herself.

“Nothing too drastic…Spike he—“ Willow stopped in mid-sentence when she forgot not the mention that name too much around Buffy.

“What?” Buffy shrugged innocently,” Spike what?”

”Well…” ‘There is no harm if she asked…’ Willow reasoned, “…after the show ended he shaved his head and let his brown hair come back so he wouldn’t be bothered. He knew that the bleached blonde locks of hair were a dead give away for him. Spike kept a low profile for a while and it worked. Only recently he started to bleach himself up again.”

Buffy laughed, “God he loves that hair like that…” The smile that formed on her face continued to stay as she thought about Spike and his hair.

Willow grinned ear from ear to ear when she saw the dreamy daze on her friends face.

“Ya…I don’t get why he likes bleaching it.” Willow muttered.

”It’s just the way he is…such a rebel.” Buffy took a sip from her cup with a giggle.

“Yeah he never changes…” Willow sighed.

“That’s good…he’s fine the way he is…he’s…” Buffy drifted off.

The walls she forced herself up to block the memory of being with William for the last time tumbled down. His crystal blues started to become clearer to her and his laugh echoed in her head. Buffy felt a sudden warmer surround her when she remembered the feeling of just being near him.



*~*~*~*~*~*~


L.A …four years ago…

Buffy twirled a long piece of her hair around her finger as she studied the script in her dressing room. She was wearing a bath robe and her hair was up in a ponytail as she spun her chair around in place.

“Oh Summers please don’t tell me you still haven’t memorized your lines yet.” The thick cocky British accent mumbled from the opened dressing room door that led into the hallway and set.

Buffy smiled and stopped spinning her chair to face him, “Oh shut up…”

“Well aren’t you a basket of sunshine this morning.” He laughed and watched her continue to gently spin her chair in place while she mumbled lines to herself.

Then all of a sudden William grabbed the back of her chair and spun it around faster and faster until she started to scream at him for his teasing. “Spike! Stop it!! I’m getting dizzy.”

He smiled and stopped the chair from moving and lowered his head down see her green dizzy eyes stare back at him.

“How many fingers am I holding?” he placed three fingers in front of her.

”Nineteen.” She giggled and shook her head, trying to get over the dizziness.
Spike continued to smile lovingly at her and sat down in an empty makeup chair next to her.

“So what are you up to after today’s productive day of filming?” Spike crossed his muscular arms across his chest and when he noticed Buffy wasn’t looking he let his eyes wonder down to her exposed tan legs that she couldn’t hide under her robe.

Buffy shrugged, oblivious to Spike checking her out while she went over her lines. “Go home…do laundry…go over lines…the usual.”

Buffy glanced back at Spike, “And you?”

”About the same as you are doing…” Spike shrugged. Buffy nodded and went back to reading. Spike bit his lip, wondering if this was a good opportunity to ask her out. It had been a few months since he started feeling more than friendship toward Buffy and he was completely freaked out about it. He knew the petite blonde for so long as a friend, six years and counting, that it was hard seeing her as anything else.

“Hey Buffy…Spike…” Willow poked her head inside the dressing room and was greeted with the two stars of the show. She raised an eyebrow at Spike’s appearance with Buffy. ‘Doesn’t he like hanging out with Xander and the stage crew when they’re not filming?’ she noted to herself.

“Hey Will…what’s up?” Buffy smiled and placed her script on her dresser and grabbed her coffee to take a sip.

”I got some crazy news…very…interesting.” Willow smiled at both Spike and Buffy.

”Crazy for the show or crazy in reality?” Spike asked.

“Uh…crazy unreality type thing.” Willow then didn’t seem so excited anymore. She knew she was too obsessed with the show and cared what happened to the fake characters she wrote about way too much.

Buffy and Spike smiled, they knew all about Willow’s little problem with care about fake things too much.

“What is it?” Buffy asked.

“Well you know how Claire and Daniel are crazy about each other?” Willow started.

Spike and Buffy stared at the red head as if she had a lizard attached to her head. For the last six years ALL there series focused around was their characters, Claire and Daniel being crazy in love with each other.

“Right…forget I asked the stupidest question in the world…okay, so…” Willow continued. “Looks like you can kiss the season finale we had planned goodbye…we’ll be throwing in a big cliffhanger.”

Spike rolled his eyes, “What was wrong with the one we had?” ‘There is nothing wrong with me kissing Buffy or ‘Claire’ and telling her I finally love her…or Daniel telling Claire he loves her.’ He thought to himself.

“Well Daniel was going to see Claire and tell her he loves her right? Well the writers sparked up a little old love flame that has never been seen before for Claire.” Willow revealed.

She instantly saw Buffy’s face seem interested in the new twist while Spike frowned and seemed quit disappointed.

“So we are getting a new character?” Buffy raised an eyebrow.

”Ya…” Willow said but still eyed Spike in curiosity of why he was so upset.

“Anyone famous? Newbie?” Buffy continued to question without notice Spike’s sad look.

’She’s actually excited about this…’ Spike thought to himself and got up out of his seat quietly and exited the dressing room.

Willow turned and watched him go. “What’s with him?” Willow turned back the blonde in the chair.

Buffy shrugged, “Beats me…”

Willow shrugged the subject of bad moody Spike off and went back to talking about the new character. “Well they already hired a guy named Angel O’Connor to play Claire’s love interest...”

”Angel O’Connor?” Buffy raised an eyebrow.

”Ya…he did a few commercials and appeared in a few episodes of ER and Law and Order.” Willow informed.

“Ya I know…I met him once…he seems nice.” Buffy smiled.

”Nice enough to kiss?” Willow gave an uncertain smile.

“It’s my job…” Buffy shrugged.


*~*~*~*


The two girls switched from talking about the good old days and Spike and focused back on the present day situation.

”I talked with my agent, Lilah, this morning. She practically told me to leave California and all my work behind and go on vacation.” Buffy explained.

“Vacation? Lilah told you that?” Willow seemed surprised. She remembered Buffy’s agent very well—tall, brown hair, and very demanding of being productive.

“Ya…thought it was a good idea for me to go to New York.” Buffy rolled her eyes.

’Reallllly….’ Willow thought and had to hold back the grin she wanted to plaster on her face. “Huh…interesting…” Willow said with a nod.

“I don’t think it would work out…” Buffy shook her head, “I got too much to do here.” ‘Okay that’s a lie…’ Buffy instantly thought to herself.

“Well I don’t think it’s a bad idea. You should come. Enjoy the bright lights of New York…see Oz….go sight seeing…see a play…” Willow suggested, ‘And maybe a certain hopelessly in love Spike?’ she thought. “You need a change of pace…maybe it will help with your…you know…drinking.” Willow whispered the last part.

“I don’t know Willow…what do I tell Angel?”

”I thought you didn’t care what he thought?” Willow smiled, ‘I know it’s low to tell your friend to forget what her husband thought and interfere but I…I don’t care.’

“Well if you’re sure you don’t mind having me?” Buffy bit her lip.

”I practically insist!” Willow grabbed both of Buffy’s hands and seemed be begging the blonde.

Buffy shook her head with a tiny smile and shrugged, “Okay…”




TBC....know its a small chapter but hey, its better than nothing.