Chapter 5:White Lies


Buffy stood in front of the full length mirror in her wedding dress. Her blonde hair was pulled back half way while the rest hung at her shoulders in small curls. ‘This is it…’ she thought to herself as she smoothed down the gown with shaky hands. Buffy’s mind was surprisingly not on the hundreds of reporters and photographers surrounding the perimeter of the church, thinking they could get a glance at the bride and groom. No, her mind was on the one bleached blonde man who was thousands of miles away from being anywhere near her.

A little knock on the door was heard and then Buffy’s seventeen year old sister Dawn entered in her maid of honor light blue dress.

”You ready?” Dawn asked wearily. The young girl had noticed that Buffy had been a bit distracted and not the typical crazy bride to be stereotype that you always heard about.

Buffy slightly nodded and kept on staring at herself in the mirror.

”Did you send him an invitation?” Dawn asked out the blue.

Buffy wiped around to look at her sister; almost sending her veil tangled around her neck.

”Huh?” Buffy whimpered.

“William…I know you guys were close and all…” Dawn muttered as she started to fumble with her bouquet of flowers in her hand.

‘You don’t know the half of it…’ Buffy thought to herself.

“It doesn’t matter Dawn…” she sighed and fixed her veil on her head as she turned to look at her sisters judging eyes. “Tell them I’m ready.”

Buffy didn’t know her sister was gone until she heard the door shut lightly behind her; however not without also hearing the muffle of the wedding guests scurrying around out in the hall leading into the church.

The bride to be glanced around the room and her eyes fell on her vanity table. When Buffy walked over to where all her makeup and wedding hair emergency kit were laid out she spotted an old crinkly envelope that was clearly labeled ‘William Giles’ on it.

She picked it up and then without a thought threw it in the trash can.


*~*~*~*~

Buffy jolted in her seat, waking herself up from her dream she was having. Willow sat next to her on the plane reading a magazine when she saw her suddenly wake up from her peaceful slumber.

“You okay?” Willow asked with worry as she saw Buffy breathing a little heavily.

”Fine…” she muttered and glanced out her airplane window to see clouds for miles around her and the earth thousands of feet below, “Are we almost there?”

“About another hour till we land.” Willow informed her and went back to reading her magazine.

Buffy let out a long breath.

*~*~*~*~*~

Willow fumbled with her keys as she and Buffy stood outside her apartment door. The red head had noticed Buffy’s sudden nervousness as soon as the landed in New York. She wasn’t sure if it was because she was afraid of being spotted by photographers or something else? It seemed that every few minutes Buffy was looking over her shoulder, expecting someone to mystical appear behind her.

“You alright?” Willow felt like she had been asking the question every few seconds.

“Yep. You need help with those keys?” Buffy asked impatiently.

Willow looked back down at her dozens of keys on her key ring and finally got the right one. “No…I got it.”

Both girls walked into the homely apartment and rolled there luggage in behind them.

“Oz?!” Willow called out.

”I’m here!” Oz shouted back and appeared from the kitchen.

“Look who I brought.” Willow weakly smiled.

Oz was flabbergasted at seeing the petite blonde standing in his and Willow’s apartment instead of being three thousands miles back on the other side of the country. He had to admit that this was much more different than watching Buffy pop up the screen when he was watching television.

“Buffy…” Oz stuttered and left his mouth hung open.

“Surprise…” Buffy shrugged and gave an uncertain smile.

“Big surprise…” Oz nodded and placed his hands on his hips, trying to figure out what was going on. He glanced back to Willow and immediately figured out what was up when he saw the guilty look that his girlfriend was giving him.

“I know this is unplanned but…” Willow shrugged and turned to the blonde quickly, avoiding any questions and excusing looks from Oz. “I’ll show you the guest room…”

Before Buffy followed Willow into the next room she caught a sight of Oz’s upset face and started to feel a little bit guilty for having to be the one to have put it there.

“Willow you didn’t tell him I was coming.” Buffy said immediately as soon as she and Willow were behind closed doors.

The red head collapsed down on the guest bed and cringed, “So you’ve noticed huh?”

Buffy let out a laugh, “Well ya! Did you see his face?”

“I’m sorry…I just—“

”Does he not…” Buffy interrupted but paused when she wondered if she should as the question.

”What?” Willow tilted her head when Buffy didn’t utter another word for several seconds.

”Does he…not…like me anymore?” Buffy bit her lip.

”What?!” Willow laughed, “Buffy no…no no no….no…this isn’t about you, even thought that is hard to believe it has nothing to do with you. He’s mad at me. Trust me; it hasn’t been the first time. I’ll just...” Willow pointed out the door, “You know…talk to him.”

And in a flash the red head was out the bedroom door and down the hall to receive and earful of ‘what do you think your doing?’ and ‘you sneaky little woman’ remarks.

Buffy sighed and unzipped her luggage bag and started to rummage around her clothes until she found what she was looking for. She bit her lip while at looking down at the bottle of Jack Daniels that rested comfortably in her hand. Buffy unscrewed the cap and licked her lips before thinking over what she wanted to do. And before she could let temptation take over she screwed the bottle shut and got down on her hands and knees and placed the bottle under her bed.

A tiny knock on the guest bedroom door made Buffy scramble to her feet again and place a smile on her face.

“Come in.” Buffy said and watched as the door slowly opened and revealed Oz and Willow. “So…what’s up?” Buffy asked as she glanced back and forth between the pair.

“How about some lunch and some catching up?” Oz asked.


*-*-*-*


“So Oz, I hear that you are going on tour soon.” Buffy said as she sipped her drink through her straw before taking another bite out of her salad. Her hair was all tied back in a ponytail and she was wearing a baseball cap on her head. Being thousands of miles from Hollywood didn’t give Buffy the advantage to go around free looking as she pleased. This was New York City, and there were tons of photographers on the loose just waiting for a familiar face to go out in public.

“Ya…we’re leaving in May…should be fun.” Oz said as he drank his cup of coffee.

“I’ve noticed you’ve colored your hair again.” Buffy couldn’t reframe from mentioning. It seemed that every time she saw him he had some different color from the rainbow displayed on his head. This time it was dark green.

“Ya…keeps from being noticed.” Oz shrugged.

“I told Buffy to color her hair...it may help with the fear of getting spotted.” Willow explained to Oz.

“Has it been really that bad?” Oz whispered and gave Buffy a sympathetic look.

Buffy shrugged her shoulders and slouched a little in her seat while looking around at the crowds of people in the restaurant. “Some days are better than others…still can’t go to the beach…and I’ve had to change my phone number a few times.”

Willow shook her head in disgust—no one should have to live like that.

“Well maybe changing your style wouldn’t be so bad then…” Oz suggested.

“Angel likes my hair the way it is though…” Buffy muttered and pushed her salad bowl away. It seems that her appetite had just walked up and left the room and walked when she remembered her husband’s comments about her hair.

‘Don’t change a thing babe.’ He told her and ‘Everyone loves it blonde’.

“It’s your hair though Buffy…I think its ridiculous for you to be forced not change something about yourself and have to worry about what he thinks.” Willow pointed out.

Under the table Oz lifted his foot a little bit and stepped on Willows foot.

“Ow!” she yelped in surprise when he struck her foot.

“What?” Buffy asked in concern about her sudden outburst.

“Nothing…nothing…” Willow shook her head but when Buffy shrugged and looked away from her she shot daggers at Oz and hit him multiple times with her foot at his leg.

“Ow!” he shouted when the last blow that Willow delivered was a little bit too rough to his standing.

“What?” Buffy turned and asked him too what was wrong.

“Nothing…” he smiled and picked up his coffee and took a long sip.

Buffy just gave the couple a strange look at how oddly they both were acting.